"Sometimes imagination is no more than randomness applied." —Piet Francke

General DiscussionsDrop the Duck... eek!

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Drop the Duck... eek!

Post by Duck » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:25 am

I had a company call me to inquire about some of my services the other day. In my initial conversation I, as usual, introduced myself as "Duck". My wife overheard me and after the phone conversation she casually made reference to how I introduced myself. She is of the mind that I should drop the nickname "Duck" as that was my "tattoo name" and now I should present myself a little more "professional".

Personally I am not ready to let go of such a unique moniker that has served me well for almost half my life in favor of a more common "Charles", but in fairness to her I thought I'd try to get some unbiased opinions. So what do you folks think, is my nickname too inappropriate or unprofessional sounding for a photographer? Just to be transparent here, she has never liked the nickname but since I had it long before she and I met, she really had no say in the matter. Now that I am in a transitional stage I think she's using my situation to her advantage. ;)

Let me know what you think. Thanks.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:57 am

Duck wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:25 am
I had a company call me to inquire about some of my services the other day. In my initial conversation I, as usual, introduced myself as "Duck". My wife overheard me and after the phone conversation she casually made reference to how I introduced myself. She is of the mind that I should drop the nickname "Duck" as that was my "tattoo name" and now I should present myself a little more "professional".

Personally I am not ready to let go of such a unique moniker that has served me well for almost half my life in favor of a more common "Charles", but in fairness to her I thought I'd try to get some unbiased opinions. So what do you folks think, is my nickname too inappropriate or unprofessional sounding for a photographer? Just to be transparent here, she has never liked the nickname but since I had it long before she and I met, she really had no say in the matter. Now that I am in a transitional stage I think she's using my situation to her advantage. ;)

Personally, I don't see an issue using "Duck", especially since you have gone by the nickname for so long. I'm sure it would feel like you're forced to use your non-dominant hand. There'd be some uncomfortable (at first introduction) calling you Duck, but it is what it is. Another thought would be, suddenly all of your clients, friends and relatives will be calling you "Charles", instead of Duck"? How awkward would that be, for them. At this point I would feel uncomfortable calling you "Charles", but if forced to? No, it's Duck for me !!!
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:04 pm

Duck grabs more attention than Chuck or Charles. Seems to me that grabbing attention, being memorable, etc, are better business practices than being "standard". Having said that, certainly it would depend on a given customer.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:37 pm

You could always change your name to Piet if you want to grab even more attention...

everyone gives me a second look when I tell 'em my name is Frank Smith, they say yeah sure whatever you say Mr...Your wife makes a point but I would think your typical clientele will be fine with Duck since they know they are dealing with a bit of a creative type.....

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:44 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:37 pm
You could always change your name to Piet if you want to grab even more attention...
Hey! Pieter is a very standard - even common Dutch name. I strongly maintain that every Peter should have an eye.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Psjunkie » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:54 pm

don't think many of his customers live in Dutchland.....Bahahaha

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:11 pm

Duck wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:25 am

Oh please keep being Duck.

You can have two names if you ever need to. I do. I answer to Paula and I answer to Minnie.If someone is more comfortable with one than the other, OK. I'm good with either. If a passport or credit card is involved, I settle for Paula. But Minnie is more fun. I bet Duck is too.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:20 pm

I vote for Duck. I mean the name. Memorable. And you want to be remembered.

Over the years I have been called different names (now, now!). I was given Matthew John when I was born; my father was Matt, so I became Johnny in the family. In the extended family, i.e., my sister's brother-in-law, I am John. In the neighborhood, I was Johnny. In grade and high school, I was Matt. In college, I somehow became Matty. In grad school, Matt again. I respond to each different name only in the context where it originated and feel very odd when a close family member, e.g., first cousin who knew me as Johnny, now calls me Matt.

As you know, a duck by any other name would still quack.

Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:14 am

Thank you all for the wonderful feedback. It reinforces what is in my heart. I have yet to meet a client that has an issue with my nickname. The most common question I get is, "how did you come by that name?"

Minnie, I find myself in the same mind frame as you. If someone does have an issue (i.e. the wife), they can choose to use my given name. Outlying is been know to not 'hear' my real name at times. :)

Matt, I have a similar history with my name. I was born Carlos Guillermo, which is the Spanish translation of Charles William, however I was the third. For the first 8 years of my life I was Carlos, except for my maternal grandmother who called me Charli to until the day she died. When we came to the States, to the rest of my family my grandfather was Charlie, my father was Bill (a derivative of William) and I became Billy. After high school I entered military service where I became Charles and that carried into civilian life afterwards. My first wife called me Chuck which led to her little cousin calling me Duck, where it stuck. :D I still have friends from high school that only know me as Bill, which is what my immediate family still calls me. Needless to say, when I met my current wife I totally confused her. :)

Well, the verdict is in. The wife loses and I get to keep my nome d'plume.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:09 am

What are you going to remember after the conversation is over, Charles or Duck? I understand your wife intent and it's admirable, but it's our scars that make us who we are and you've earned yours so own it and make it a part of everything you are! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"