"Sometimes imagination is no more than randomness applied." —Piet Francke

General DiscussionsHelp!!! Needed Re: Image Sales

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Help!!! Needed Re: Image Sales

Post by Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:55 am

Gallery Wraps would be excellent. These should be priced higher than the other options. Keep us posted.
Today is the Day, a New Day.

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Matt Quinn » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:53 pm

Minnie, 'what's the latest? Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:46 pm

I just got the estimates back from the local printer. The restaurant manager is intrigued with metal prints. After seeing the restaurant and the other decor, I am leaning more towards the acrylic, but there are several different versions even of that (thick, thin, layered, etched) . I'll talk to them both tomorrow and proceed from there.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:17 pm

Any updates on the sale Minnie?
Today is the Day, a New Day.

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:59 pm

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:17 pm
Any updates on the sale Minnie?
They settled on metal though I tried to push toward acrylic after I saw the location. I required a deposit since I have to pay the whole amount up front for metal, and that has created a problem. But I’m afraid to proceed and risk them deciding at delivery that they don’t want them. The things are expensive! They didn’t voice an objection, but the “check is in the mail” routine has been going on for 2 weeks. I’m not a good businessperson.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:18 pm

minniev wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:59 pm
They settled on metal though I tried to push toward acrylic after I saw the location. I required a deposit since I have to pay the whole amount up front for metal, and that has created a problem. But I’m afraid to proceed and risk them deciding at delivery that they don’t want them. The things are expensive! They didn’t voice an objection, but the “check is in the mail” routine has been going on for 2 weeks. I’m not a good businessperson.

Your one true friend in any exchange is your contract. So long as everything is spelled out in black and white and both parties are in agreement to what is written, you should have no issues.

The one thing I have found is there are no hard set "must do" rules when drafting a contract. It can be as simple as a few lines indicating what each party is responsible for or as complex a document that would make lawyer's heads spin. What they want and what you can deliver should coincide and that is where you start. In this case, since the manufacturer must be paid up front, the client should be made aware of that and the money collected up front or the order can't go through. You should not take on that risk. They should also know that once the order is placed you can not be held accountable for their "change of plans".

When in doubt, get advice from someone who understands negotiations better. Best of luck. Can't wait to see an interior shot with your images in place. How exciting. :thumbup: :yay:
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:45 pm

Duck wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:18 pm
minniev wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:59 pm

Your one true friend in any exchange is your contract. So long as everything is spelled out in black and white and both parties are in agreement to what is written, you should have no issues.

The one thing I have found is there are no hard set "must do" rules when drafting a contract. It can be as simple as a few lines indicating what each party is responsible for or as complex a document that would make lawyer's heads spin. What they want and what you can deliver should coincide and that is where you start. In this case, since the manufacturer must be paid up front, the client should be made aware of that and the money collected up front or the order can't go through. You should not take on that risk. They should also know that once the order is placed you can not be held accountable for their "change of plans".

When in doubt, get advice from someone who understands negotiations better. Best of luck. Can't wait to see an interior shot with your images in place. How exciting. :thumbup: :yay:
Well of course I have no contract! Didn’t know I needed one until after it was a done deal! I do have emails back and forth with the manager, who is really very nice, but bills go to corporate headquarters, not to him. He has never bought the art for a restaurant he managed though, no he’s a newbie too. I’m not gonna take the risk without a deposit that covers 90% of my cost.

I am working on a solution for any future endeavor though, with someone who is experienced with contracts for photography art products..

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:07 pm

minniev wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:45 pm
I am working on a solution for any future endeavor though, with someone who is experienced with contracts for photography art products..
That was the other thought that came to me... would one of your contacts at the gallery be able to guide you?

Now that you are getting some sales, perhaps start looking at finding a representative (?)

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:21 pm

Duck wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:07 pm

That was the other thought that came to me... would one of your contacts at the gallery be able to guide you?

Now that you are getting some sales, perhaps start looking at finding a representative (?)
Not sure what a representative is or does.

The person helping me with my contract is a forum friend who's an art director for a commercial outfit in New York, and while he has no knowledge of the situation here, he does have experience with a lot of different kinds of photography, so I'm grateful. The folks at the gallery where my birds started out are not skilled in contracts, because it is a state-owned museum and anything similar to contracts is far removed from the art gallery staff.

My 6 yr old grandson is the closest thing I may have to a representative currently. If he could read and write, and didn't have to go to school, I'd be fixed. I heard him give an eloquent summation of my work to a museum director visiting from Charleston this weekend. He is better at marketing than I am.

I sold another magazine cover today!

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:14 pm

minniev wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:21 pm
I sold another magazine cover today!

Congrats! The way you're going I think you're going to have to do a crash course in contract negotiations. We wouldn't want anyone taking advantage of your good nature. Some of us here would need to take up pitchforks if that were to happen. ;)