General DiscussionsI bought a new tripod

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

I bought a new tripod

Post by PietFrancke » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:06 am

well, it was used actually - and I have been gone for a while. I needed to put a trailer hitch on the car because this tripod is pulled by a car. Besides being a tripod, it is a kayak. And it is a sailboat. It is a used Hobie Tandem Island. We are surrounded by water, I needed a way to get my camera out onto the water.

The first trip out was nice. The wind wasn't blowing much and it took a while, but finally Shirl let me release two thirds of the sail. We were flying. Well, not really, but Shirl thought we were. When one of the sides lifted out of the water, she noticed and we had to back off a little. We went past a large channel marker that has an Osprey nest on it. Mom and dad were flying and the three teenagers were standing at attention all lined up prim and proper - and my Tripod didn't have the camera mounted.

This afternoon, we went out again and the wind was blowing hard enough to make waves. Shirl liked the waves even less than she liked moving fast the time before. After a while we headed back and Shirl said - "nope, we are out here, let's try again". I talked her into letting out 1/3 of the sail so that we wouldn't have to peddle so much and she bravely agreed.

We stayed close to shore and headed back to the nest. This time I had a 400mm lens on a 7d2 and had it properly stuffed into a waterproof bag hung around my neck. We saw a dark bird fly past low to the water and my camera was not ready. The Osprey were not in the nest, but we found the family sitting by a storm damaged pier and as they flew around I snapped like crazy.

I was in complete panic mode and failed to check the settings. It was set to a speed 1/640 (should have been twice as fast in my opinion) and at F/5.6 and the auto ISO gave me an ISO of 100 so I certainly could have easily upped the speed if I had half a brain with me.

Here are my two best shots from the excursion. I will do better I promise, I like my new tripod!
os1.jpg
os2.jpg

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:25 am

Good shots, especially for a long lens in a boat! I'm jealous, it sounds absolutely wonderful. I'm sure we'll see these osprey again, perhaps divebombing a medieval army or carrying off a tiny soldier.

Don't feel bad, I always forget my settings when I've overexcited. People will asked me "why did you shoot a landscape on f 1.8?" Of course I have no idea, because I was just fixated on the light and turned some button the wrong way. Animals are much worse.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:46 am

I'm jealous... I wish I had the time, money, energy, support and everything else that goes with owning a boat. I love being out on the water. I got my boating license years ago and still carry it with me everywhere even though I don't get out on the water at all these days. Sadly because I am about 15 minutes from the Long Island Sound. I have thought of getting myself a small kayak but I have a strong suspicion that it wouldn't get as much use as it deserved.

So in the meantime, I will live vicariously through your excursions. :D

Great shots, by the way. Almost forgot to mention...
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:41 pm

thank you Duck and Min, I consider myself very lucky to be where I am, and intend fully to do what I can to get out onto the water when I can. For me, like nothing else, it gives a sense of peace and contentment and a satisfied weariness if that makes sense. My son and his family got a chance to visit today for the weekend, so I showed him the ropes so to speak and he took his family out.
ti.jpg

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:03 pm

Just congrats Piet. My bride and I always danced around the idea of a boat. We used to go to all the spring boat shows, but over the long haul it just never happened. But we did get Rosie the Tiny Tent Trailer and she is kinda like a boat.
Lovely pictures!
(Never forget, keep one hand for the ship and one for y'self!)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:03 am

Piet, I guess we all have stories about water and boats, cats, kayaks etc. I never learned how to sail but love being out on the water. Several years ago, the president at the university where I was working, took a group of us, senior vps, on a "retreat" at a house on the Chesapeake belonging to a benefactor. Dan, one of the others in the group, had sailed the Chesapeake since he was a teenager and took three of us out on a cat. I grew up in Brooklyn, learned to drive a car when I was 28 and to swim when I was 34. Had never been on a sailboat. As we swept along, Dan asked if I wanted to sail the cat. "You can't tip these things." So I took over. And we hit a wave. And we went over. I had a vest on but one of the others didn't and couldn't swim. As he clung to the side of the flipped cat, he begged for mine. He had been my constant antagonist in our cabinet meetings; one of the others commented later that I seemed to hesitate, perhaps weighing what I would barter for in return. I seemed to recall that actually I was momentarily stunned by his stupidity. Nonetheless I gave him the vest. We were rescued about 15 minutes later. And for the rest of the retreat, I was regularly teased about my sailing debut. I still don't know how to sail. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:17 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:03 am
Piet, I guess we all have stories about water and boats, cats, kayaks etc. I never learned how to sail but love being out on the water. Several years ago, the president at the university where I was working, took a group of us, senior vps, on a "retreat" at a house on the Chesapeake belonging to a benefactor. Dan, one of the others in the group, had sailed the Chesapeake since he was a teenager and took three of us out on a cat. I grew up in Brooklyn, learned to drive a car when I was 28 and to swim when I was 34. Had never been on a sailboat. As we swept along, Dan asked if I wanted to sail the cat. "You can't tip these things." So I took over. And we hit a wave. And we went over. I had a vest on but one of the others didn't and couldn't swim. As he clung to the side of the flipped cat, he begged for mine. He had been my constant antagonist in our cabinet meetings; one of the others commented later that I seemed to hesitate, perhaps weighing what I would barter for in return. I seemed to recall that actually I was momentarily stunned by his stupidity. Nonetheless I gave him the vest. We were rescued about 15 minutes later. And for the rest of the retreat, I was regularly teased about my sailing debut. I still don't know how to sail. Matt
That is one hell of a story. I don't know that I would be on a cat without a jacket if I couldn't swim! It was very good of you to give him your vest (but I don't know that you made the right choice - you made a Generous choice, that is for sure).

Water can be a killer, the weather can change in a heartbeat. The day we were out there we saw perhaps four boats in total, so waiting for rescue is not always a possible solution.

One of the things I really like about this particular craft - you can easily furl the sail reducing the power of the wind on the boat. You can peddle and you can paddle. But if it goes upside down, you are in trouble. It can be flipped back after the sail is fully furled back in, but you would need to know what to do and it would take strength, coordination, and smarts to recover.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:07 am

another osprey shot - their legs are magnificent!
os3.jpg

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Psjunkie » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:03 pm

Your capture and presentation are magnificent!

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:53 am

Psjunkie wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:03 pm
Your capture and presentation are magnificent!
thank you Frank, the colors were a little scary...