"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

General DiscussionsPM Retreat? Join Us! Sept 20 until ?

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

PM Retreat? Join Us! Sept 20 until ?

Post by minniev » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:48 pm

OK, we've been talking about doing a pM retreat for at least 6 months, with some interest generated and no firm plans. This isn't quite the version we discussed, but it's a start. So read on...

Dave Chinn and I are planning to be in New Orleans Sept 20-22. We're bringing our spouses, who mostly entertain themselves while we chase photo stuff, but meet us for meals etc. We'll be staying in the French Quarter, arriving sometime the 19th and leaving the 22nd. We would love to have others of our community join us!

My house in middle Mississippi is 4 hours due north (on the way home for almost anyone driving) by an easy interstate, and is still available for additional days after that if anyone is interested in an interactive "teach each other" experience in a rustic location.

No free accommodations in NOLA but I can share what I know about the most inexpensive places, and there's campgrounds outside the city itself. My house, as always, is free to my friends!

If you're interested, post or pM us.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:02 pm

My schedule is in flux for September but I should know soon and bar any conflicts I'd love to join you! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:14 pm

Hmm... Time to start planning. :D
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:35 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:02 pm
My schedule is in flux for September but I should know soon and bar any conflicts I'd love to join you! S-
That would be great!

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:38 pm

Duck wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:14 pm
Hmm... Time to start planning. :D
What can I do to help with information?
Anyone who’s interested, ask any questions! I can share where we are staying, photo plans, whatever.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:39 am

minniev wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:38 pm
Anyone who’s interested, ask any questions! I can share where we are staying, photo plans, whatever.

Do you and Dave have an itinerary for New Orleans? For example, where are you meeting, staying, planning on visiting, etc.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:06 pm

Duck wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:39 am
minniev wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:38 pm

Do you and Dave have an itinerary for New Orleans? For example, where are you meeting, staying, planning on visiting, etc.
WHERE WE'RE STAYING: We are staying in different hotels, but both of us are staying in the French Quarter to make it easier to get around. I'm staying at Hotel St. Helene, got a rate of about $85 a night. It's supposed to be haunted! (ghost photography, anyone?).

HOW WE'LL MEET AND WHAT WE'LL DO: We just text/call once we're situated and choose a place walkable for both of us to meet. Last time we met in the late afternoon on arrival day, walked and shot a while, had dinner. Got up early the next mornings, walked the Quarter. Shot architecture and street mostly. I shot some scenics along the river. Though we haven't planned yet anything specific other than walk-and-shoot, it is possible to add other activities such as a trolley trip https://gonola.com/things-to-do-in-new- ... s-stretcar to the uptown area where all the old mansions are along St. Charles, or go to a museum (there's all kinds in the Quarter from the WWII museum https://www.nationalww2museum.org to historical old Louisiana. There's great cemeteries scattered around that have good photo ops. It's also possible to take swamp or plantation tours, or visit Lafitte NP https://www.nps.gov/jela/index.htm just outside the city. Last visit Dave and I just figured it out as we went along. Our spouses entertained themselves some, traipsed along behind us some, and joined us for meals. https://www.tripsavvy.com/new-orleans-p ... ps-1604883 Food is a big attraction in New Orleans. We ate at modest places last time, but I'm not opposed to having one splurge meal if anyone else is up for it- there's lots to choose from and the restaurants are fun to photograph in too.

EXTRA POSSIBILITY - MY HOUSE AFTER - If anyone wants to stay over for a few days for a rural retreat, my house is about 7 miles off I-55 and about 4 hrs north of NOLA. It might be a good place to break up your drive home. If you wanted to fly or ride the train into NOLA and want to stay over, we can provide airport or train shuttle service between Sallis and Jackson MS.

Ask any questions you want and I'll answer if I can!

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:13 am

I'm glad to see there are others with an interest. It has been two years since our last visit to New Orleans, I'm ready and excited about this visit as well. Altho, we didn't get the Minnie rates we decided to stay at same place we previously, the Grenoble House, located In the French Quarter: https://www.grenoblehouse.com/our-location/

I'm up for just about anything, the trolly/street car has my interest along with some of the others you mentioned, such as a ghost tour, or the plantations. Altho, it's gonna be hard to get me off the streets, LOL. Minnie, your house would have our interest as well, because Sharon would love to see some of your hidden treasures of photo opportunities.
Minnie, I think I still have your phone number in my address book, if it has not changed.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:34 pm

davechinn wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:13 am
I'm glad to see there are others with an interest. It has been two years since our last visit to New Orleans, I'm ready and excited about this visit as well. Altho, we didn't get the Minnie rates we decided to stay at same place we previously, the Grenoble House, located In the French Quarter: https://www.grenoblehouse.com/our-location/

I'm up for just about anything, the trolly/street car has my interest along with some of the others you mentioned, such as a ghost tour, or the plantations. Altho, it's gonna be hard to get me off the streets, LOL. Minnie, your house would have our interest as well, because Sharon would love to see some of your hidden treasures of photo opportunities.
Minnie, I think I still have your phone number in my address book, if it has not changed.
Dave
Thanks for chiming in Dave. I hope some of our pals here will find a way to join us!

You and Sharon (and any others) are most welcome to stop over at the house, I'll give maps/directions later.

My phone number is the same! I'll get together an info sheet sometime in the next couple of weeks, so if anyone has other questions, please ask, then I'll know what to include that I haven't thought of.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:19 pm

I am still very interested! If I can make it I would camp, but the fact is that Rose the Tiny Tent Camper has been languishing in a storage space buried beneath boxes for a year and a half. She was pretty much rid hard and put away wet, almost literally, so my Kidz and I would have to somehow un-bury her and see whether she can even travel. She has not even been opened for more than two years. She may have mold or heaven knows what. From what I read here if I get there I can hook up by text. If I don't, well, I don't. There is also a money issue but the whole thing becomes academic if Rose can't go.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|