General DiscussionsCloud storage recommendation

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Cloud storage recommendation

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:57 am

I have a RAID arrangement to store and back up my files, but I don't have a cloud account. I have over 140K photos and don't want to lose them. I had a total, once-in-a-lifetime failure of a RAID arrangement about 10 years ago and it was an expensive enterprise to have the drives restored. (BTW, the fellow who handled the job told me after the fact that he had sub-contracted the work to some Russian IT people he had on retainers. "God help us," he said, "if the Russians ever decide to infiltrate our networks. They are beyond belief in their skills and we are sheep for the sheering.")

So, any recommendations for a cloud service?

Thanks.

Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by PietFrancke » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:33 am

this is hard... print them right? And put the prints in a dark dry shoebox... that should be safer than a hard drive. But certainly the prints would not contain the resolution and detail that you currently have in its electronic data format.

A hard disk drive is expected to last between two and eight years. Cloud Storage might indeed be the way to go, but WHO do YOU trust? Places will be flooded, places will be burned, companies go bankrupt, how secure truly is Cloud Storage?

Personally, I think a hard drive is fine, so long as you copy it from one drive to another newer drive every couple of years - and keep your drives in different parts of the country.

"Sheep for the sheering" - that sounds about right. Sometimes I think our safety is best protected by the fact that we are good consumers - that is.. we consume a lot. We will be protected by those that make the things that we consume, until we can no longer afford to consume.

And another reality... I have thousands of images and I take my best ones and put them on-line where the entire world can look at them. And in fact, they are even briefly seen and admired by a couple dozen people or so. Which leads me to the question of "how many people will see the thousands of other images that I have?"

Sorry for the tongue in cheek cynicism, I only mean to say that the issue you raise is a difficult one. For me, if I can see my images I am happy, and if for some reason they are gone, then it will be time to make some new ones. In fact, I feel melancholy when I look at my images and I am best served if I make new ones anyway!!!!

Edit -- so truly, I think printing them is the right answer. No, not all 140 thousand of them, but your best hundreds. As actual prints, you will have a better chance that human hands will reach into a box and look through them with a smile on their face.

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:30 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:57 am
I have a RAID arrangement to store and back up my files, but I don't have a cloud account. I have over 140K photos and don't want to lose them. I had a total, once-in-a-lifetime failure of a RAID arrangement about 10 years ago and it was an expensive enterprise to have the drives restored. (BTW, the fellow who handled the job told me after the fact that he had sub-contracted the work to some Russian IT people he had on retainers. "God help us," he said, "if the Russians ever decide to infiltrate our networks. They are beyond belief in their skills and we are sheep for the sheering.")

So, any recommendations for a cloud service?

Thanks.

Matt
I don't know so much about RAID arrangements or failures, and confess I don't know how the whole array could die at once. I did lose my main photo external once, but it died slowly over several days, allowing me time to get stuff copied over to a new disk. My own backup is a DIY assortment. The photos are divided into two subsets, with half living on each of two externals. Both are backed up, along with the computer itself, onto a second external via Time Machine. The images and the LR cat file are backed up onto a series of small externals and kept in another location. So there's basically 3 copies of everything.

For cloud there's the dilemma Piet discussed. Who do you trust to stay around? At what cost? You do have some cloud space available as part of your Adobe CC plan, and possibly as part of your Apple account; both will gladly sell you even more space, and both are likely to be around a while. You also have a free portfolio site on Adobe. There's free space available in small increments with dropbox, Google, and others You can buy as much dropbox as you want. Display sites like Flickr give you space for your photos. You can buy and install your own personal cloud (I have that too).
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:16 pm

I think printing them is the right answer. No, not all 140 thousand of them, but your best hundreds. As actual prints, you will have a better chance that human hands will reach into a box and look through them with a smile on their face.

Thanks Piet. You echo thoughts. When I die, I doubt anyone will want my Lightroom cat and files, so, over the years, I have printed Blurb books, two copies, one for each son and family, but kept one copy in MD and one in MA where they can look at them now and take them then. But the books are family photos, not my b&ws or my efforts at "art." They have no interest in those and regard me wryly if they see me working on them. Those I would not want to lose; printing them, though, somehow kills them for me. The screen is 'alive' and provides a more enjoyable viewing experience. What I think I will do is edit down to a select group and plop those on a separate ehd and store that off-site. Thanks for replying. Matt
Matt Quinn

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:34 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:16 pm
I think printing them is the right answer. No, not all 140 thousand of them, but your best hundreds. As actual prints, you will have a better chance that human hands will reach into a box and look through them with a smile on their face.

Thanks Piet. You echo thoughts. When I die, I doubt anyone will want my Lightroom cat and files, so, over the years, I have printed Blurb books, two copies, one for each son and family, but kept one copy in MD and one in MA where they can look at them now and take them then. But the books are family photos, not my b&ws or my efforts at "art." They have no interest in those and regard me wryly if they see me working on them. Those I would not want to lose; printing them, though, somehow kills them for me. The screen is 'alive' and provides a more enjoyable viewing experience. What I think I will do is edit down to a select group and plop those on a separate ehd and store that off-site. Thanks for replying. Matt
I know what you mean about viewing them on the monitor. By definition, they are alive with light in that form. I love your "book" ideas and have to wonder if it might be worth doing that to the best of the Art images. One thing we are doing (not a big deal), is we have a blackboard where we write down all the birds that we have identified. And the a slot for printed images of those birds so that the grandkids can put the two together.

As my images accumulate, I find that I am not heartless enough in getting rid of close duplicates and those that have flaws. Truly they end up getting in the way, when we have too much, the clutter of them keeps us from enjoying the ones that matter - so no matter how we do it, part of the solution is a culling and organization - two things I am very weak at.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:52 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:16 pm
[...] printing them, though, somehow kills them for me. The screen is 'alive' and provides a more enjoyable viewing experience. [...]
This pretty much summarizes how many devout hobbyist photographers feel about their chosen art. The satisfaction comes from the journey, not the destination. Once you get there it becomes, "been there, done that," and it's time to move on.

Storage is a major concern and an unwieldy task. I would suggest first doing an archival burn to CD-ROM. This will get you reacquainted with your library of images. Then you can begin sorting the wheat from the chaff.

As for cloud storage, there are many choices and price points. Dropbox and Google Drive are two services many of us are familiar with. Amazon has a really reliable service as well. There are others.

One thing you could do to keep costs down is look for those that have a free tiered level and then spread your collection amongst them. Or, if possible, create multiple accounts with their free tier service and divide your library amongst that. For example; family photos in one account and art photos in another.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:57 am

Data storage lifespans: How long will media really last?
"Media preservation is the method by which we record, store, and preserve media over time. Stored media includes everything from written words to audio to photos to computer instructions to documents, software, and more. The various types of media are stored on everything from books to a hard drive all the way to video game cartridges. We’ve discussed the history of these various methods of data storage in the history of data storage and backup. But what we didn’t talk about is the lifespan of these different data storage methods."
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:05 am

"ShadowProtect® backup and disaster recovery software ensures on-prem business systems and data are fully protected and always available."

Hmm.

Matt
Matt Quinn

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:08 pm

"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

rmalarz
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Post by rmalarz » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:06 pm

Matt, I'd suggest looking into Backblaze. They have no daily upload limits, such as Carbonite, etc. They are very reasonable. The software runs in the background. All you have to do is indicate which directories you want backed up.
--Bob
There is no CTRL-Z in the wet.