"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

General DiscussionsKodachrome - the movie

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Kodachrome - the movie

Post by Duck » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:33 am

I just finished watching "Kodachrome", the fictional story of the last roll of film to be developed. It sars Ed harris as famous photographer Ben Ryder, who is dying from cancer, and requested his estranged son (Jason Sudeikis) drive him to the lab in Kansas to develop some lost forgotten rolls of Kodachrome. It's a moving character study story with the typical redemption at the end. Classic storyline so there really are no surprises in it. The story is well paced and (spoiler alert) a tear jerker in a couple places.

The reason I am pointing it out is because it is inspired by the actual story of the last roll of Kodachrome to be shot. It was done (and documented) by Steve McCurry, of National Geographic fame, and a film crew from Kodak. That piece of film is available for viewing somewhere. I think I had watched it on YouTube some years back. If you're not aware, Kodak discontinued Kodachrome back in 2009 and Steve shot his 'last roll' in 2010.

A couple of points about the movie I thought were done well was when Ben and his son Jason drop off the rolls at the lab. Soon after Ben, being recognized by other photographers who made the same pilgrimage, start chatting. At one point someone in the crowd says, "anyone seen Steve McCurry? I figured he'd be here." A funny nod to the real story.

The second came at the end credits where they showed Steve's actual images from his last roll of film. Sure, it was implied that they were Ben's, but I thought it was great that they actually used the real images from that last roll.

It's streaming now on Netflix so if you have it, watch it. It's a good movie. I gave it 4 out of 5 stars. :D
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by St3v3M » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:08 pm

Thank you! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

mikec
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by mikec » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:11 pm

Thanks put it on my favorites list to watch.
Mike C
Enjoying the sun and sea in Miami, FL