"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." — Thomas Alva Edison

General DiscussionsPooTube... Anybody else notice how awful some of the photography stuff is??

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

PooTube... Anybody else notice how awful some of the photography stuff is??

Post by Charles Haacker » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:11 pm

Sorry I haven't been around much; I'm still struggling mightily to keep chronic bronchitis from morphing into pneumonia. Meanwhile my new Sony A6000 ain't getting much of a workout so this morning I was perusing some of the A6000 related stuff on YouTube (aka PooTube). Sure, there is plenty of excellent work on YouTube, and I have my favorites for post processing, but have you noticed how many camera "reviewers" and "tutorials" are just. plain. bad? Awful? Wrong, even? Inarticulate guys with their hats on backwards "reviewing" stuff they apparently know little about, using false comparisons, talking far too much and showing far too little... As a longtime working pro I approach some of this like a lawyer who never asks a question to which he does not already know the answer. I'm watching some of this (frankly) garbage and wondering, What if I didn't already know this stuff? What if I'm a rank beginner? I have no reliable way to tell the trash from the truth!
Just askin' :wall: :thumbdown:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

rmalarz
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Post by rmalarz » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:46 pm

Chuck, I agree with you. I think it is very disingenuous to post something that is less than factual. Those with experience and knowledge of the subject, know better. But, those just starting out can be placed on a long road to poor photographs and an even longer road to correcting those misgivings. That is the nature of the beast. Youtube lets anyone post whatever crap they wish to post.

Like yourself, I have my favorites and rely on them for information.
--Bob
There is no CTRL-Z in the wet.

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:14 pm

I just leave the reviewers alone for the most part. It seems that a larger proportion of them are reviewing to put spin onto their own or their "handlers's" choices. Fake news, maybe?

Like Bob, there are a few I trust and I depend on them almost exclusively. But I'm not much of youtuber anyway, I am oldfashioned I fear and prefer the written word. When I "watch" you tube, I'll usually go quickly to the script and turn off the sound, except when there's something like a software interface screen where they're demonstrating doing something I wanta know how to do.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:48 pm

I much prefer reading to viewing videos, and partly it's due to some of what you mention, Chuck. The one You Tube video I tried to watch about how to do a Photoshop equivalent action in PS Elements spent 3 or 4 minutes showing how to do it in PS first. Why?? The viewers have Elements - for crikey's sake!

But I also have noticed some deficiencies even on lynda.com (now that I have free access through my library, I watch a lot) Most of it has to do with the instructors not explaining the WHY in pointing out various strengths/weakness as part of critiques, or those who have little speech quirks, such as saying "sort of" or "you know" far too often :)

Thank goodness for the written word. And Chuck, take care of yourself and get well soon!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Matt Quinn » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:01 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:48 pm
I much prefer reading to viewing videos, and partly it's due to some of what you mention, Chuck. The one You Tube video I tried to watch about how to do a Photoshop equivalent action in PS Elements spent 3 or 4 minutes showing how to do it in PS first. Why?? The viewers have Elements - for crikey's sake!

But I also have noticed some deficiencies even on lynda.com (now that I have free access through my library, I watch a lot) Most of it has to do with the instructors not explaining the WHY in pointing out various strengths/weakness as part of critiques, or those who have little speech quirks, such as saying "sort of" or "you know" far too often :)

Thank goodness for the written word. And Chuck, take care of yourself and get well soon!
Music to my ears. Minnie, Chuck, Bob, I stumble through videos; the most annoying aspect for me is when the tutor moves the pointer rapidly several times across his screen to do something. Click, click, click. The cursor is so small, it is almost invisible and I can't see where he is clicking. I have even slowed some tutorials down to frame by frame and still can't see. So I give up.

For me, as well, the written word works best. The way I learned from way back. And where there is a script, I do the same as Minnie, although I do have to look at the screen to see what the instructor is doing. Teaching is not easy; just because a person can do something doesn't mean they can explain it to another and have that person understand. Bob, for example, has explained something complex to me offline in a simple, clear and understandable way. I understand the concept he was explaining; now I need to practice it, as he mentioned. Understanding and doing are different. But clear explaining is a good start. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:53 am

Thanks for your agreement, Bob, and Minnie, and Linda, and Matt!

But I wasn't thinking so much of the post-processing tutorials inasmuch as I have a cadre of favorites: Anthony Morganti tops my list, together with Julieanne Kost. I like Aaron Nace (PHLEARN) and Unmesh Dinda (piXimperfect) but admittedly they are both fast talkers and Unmesh has an accent, but they all absolutely totally know their stuff. The official Adobe channels have good stuff delivered well.

No, what I'm talking about are the "Camera Review" people who tell you they have the "Top 25 Tips for Getting The Best Out Of Your Sony A6000," but they don't. They are inarticulate but talk anyway. They "show" things by getting their own heads, bodies and thumbs in their own way. They can't light and if you're really lucky they apparently have one microphone and it's sitting 10 feet away in a mop bucket. I'm not talking about competent teachers who know their stuff but maybe talk too fast or move the pointer too quickly; I'm talking about compleat yokels who have a yen to be on teevee. There was one chucklehead who claimed to know everything about the little, much disparaged "kit" lens I have, the Sony E PZ 16‑50 mm f/3.5‑5.6 OSS. I was curious what he found because "everyone knows" the "kit lenses are trash," right? So chucklehead proceeds to try to measure the 16-50 (with an APS-C sensor equates to 24-75) against a not-even-especially similar Canon on a full-frame Canon body, but "restricted himself" to using only the 24 mm to 75 mm parts of the Canon "to be fair." That's not even apples and oranges, folks! That's, what? Apples and cow pies?! I didn't even bother to watch the rest of his drivel, wandered off, tried another guy with much the same claim to "know the lenses." Yeah, no. 8~
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:12 am

You know what they say, if you don't like it make it better. So what do you think, can we do better? S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:08 am

Like you, I dismiss most of the reviewers online. If I need hard specs I'll got to a site like DPReview where they actually do bench testing. I also like Tony Northrup because he takes that data and puts it into real world language.

Unfortunately all these reviews, "box openings", "sniff tests", "mail calls" and the like are easy targets to the vast number of YouTubers who need to fill their channel with content. It's easy to reprocess what they find on other sites by other reviewers without any fact checking of their own. Is it fair to the uninitiated? No way, but the only recourse available is to be publicly called out in a comment. That's too much work for those who do know what to look for in a review. So, for now, we are left to sift through the muck to figure out what is what. :?

As for videos, I love to teach but I know I do not have that "presenter's" voice. I have too many 'ums' and 'ahs' and my own accent gets in the way all too often. That and my outdated 'single core processor' of a brain is too slow... Proof is in the few videos I have posted here. :-D
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:12 am

Duck wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:08 am
As for videos, I love to teach but I know I do not have that "presenter's" voice. I have too many 'ums' and 'ahs' and my own accent gets in the way all too often. That and my outdated 'single core processor' of a brain is too slow... Proof is in the few videos I have posted here. :-D
We all have our gifts, and some (you) give more than they know!

Let's continue to share our strengths and be better than on our own! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:17 am

Ehh... Like everything else, I keep working at it.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage