"Photograph things you care about, not what you think others want to see. There is no substitution for passion." —Sarah Rice

General DiscussionsWebsite building is hard work

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Website building is hard work

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:36 pm

Duck wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:06 pm
Matt Quinn wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:12 pm
Duck,

I have taken the liberty of suggesting a rewrite of your first paragraph. Apologies if I have offended.
Offense... really? No way. Your edit is much cleaner and business-like. THank you. I've implemented the changes.

Thank you for taking the time and effort to help. It is greatly appreciated.
You're welcome. Let me help, if I can. I don't know graphic media, but I worked as an advertising copywriter in NYC some years back and won some awards for my words. I wrote ads for DuPont, Newsweek and French Line (remember French Line?) and would feel privileged to be part of your effort. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Duck » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:13 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:36 pm
You're welcome. Let me help, if I can. I don't know graphic media, but I worked as an advertising copywriter in NYC some years back and won some awards for my words. I wrote ads for DuPont, Newsweek and French Line (remember French Line?) and would feel privileged to be part of your effort. Matt

I dare not impose, but if you feel inclined to guide me along, I won't say no.

Thank you for the generosity.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:02 pm

Duck wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:13 pm
Matt Quinn wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:36 pm

I dare not impose, but if you feel inclined to guide me along, I won't say no.

Thank you for the generosity.
Be glad to help where I can. Let me know. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:14 am

For your thought -

--
Product Photography
Internet sales and social media have raised the level of competition for businesses; it's a new and rapidly evolving marketplace. What worked in the past has (a) limited impact now. My background in graphic design and knowledge of web layout(s) will insure (ensure) you receive resonsive (responsive) images that will boost customer turnover, (and) increasing your sales potential.

--
Food Photography > Learn More
Google, Yelp, OpenTable, Zagat... These and many other internet venues have become standard resources of information for restaurant goers. Today's savvy consumers will research a potential restaurant, not only for reviews (remove ,) but also for menus.

In planning for a night out to eat, people not only want to hear what others think of your restaurant but also see the kind of food they should expect from their visit.

Online menus are the most requested feature by website visitors and (a) great way to appeal to your customer's appetite.
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:52 am

St3v3M wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:14 am
For your thought -

--
Product Photography
Internet sales and social media have raised the level of competition for businesses; it's a new and rapidly evolving marketplace. What worked in the past has (a) limited impact now. My background in graphic design and knowledge of web layout(s) will insure (ensure) you receive resonsive (responsive) images that will boost customer turnover, (and) increasing your sales potential.

--
Food Photography > Learn More
Google, Yelp, OpenTable, Zagat... These and many other internet venues have become standard resources of information for restaurant goers. Today's savvy consumers will research a potential restaurant, not only for reviews (remove ,) but also for menus.

In planning for a night out to eat, people not only want to hear what others think of your restaurant but also see the kind of food they should expect from their visit.

Online menus are the most requested feature by website visitors and (a) great way to appeal to your customer's appetite.

Thanks for the comments. It seems every time I work on this thing I run into two issues, unsatisfied with the overall feel and unsatisfied with the copy. I can't seem to find the "voice" for this section. I have a vague idea of what I want, I just can't seem to firm it up.

I should probably hire Matt for his copywriting skills.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:09 am

Duck wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:52 am
Thanks for the comments. It seems every time I work on this thing I run into two issues, unsatisfied with the overall feel and unsatisfied with the copy. I can't seem to find the "voice" for this section. I have a vague idea of what I want, I just can't seem to firm it up.

I should probably hire Matt for his copywriting skills.
I have the same problem with writing, where mostly I don't know how to start, but over time I've found it's best to write what you wnat to say then go back and edit it later. This gives you the chance to get it out, then shape it to what you really want to say.

Some things to think about are to frame it from the customer's point of view and remove everything that isn't important. Say what you need to say, and say it so they understand it the way you want them to. Words are very important and each one has it's place. As an example, you never want to say If you hire me, where it's better to say When you hire me. Shape the conversation.

Except for a few grammaticals your copy is fine, and your images speak for themselves, You Got This! S-

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:14 am

St3v3M wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:09 am
[...] You Got This! S-

Thanks, Steve. I find it interesting that I am better at writing for someone else than for myself. I think part of my biggest problem with writing for me is I overthink it way too much. What I should do is get back to the basics, with paper and pencil, lay out the core structure and fill in the gaps. then I can edit the hell out of that. Maybe I'll sit down at a coffee shop somewhere, without too many distractions, to do this. :-D

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:19 am

Duck wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:14 am
Thanks, Steve. I find it interesting that I am better at writing for someone else than for myself. I think part of my biggest problem with writing for me is I overthink it way too much. What I should do is get back to the basics, with paper and pencil, lay out the core structure and fill in the gaps. then I can edit the hell out of that. Maybe I'll sit down at a coffee shop somewhere, without too many distractions, to do this. :-D
Write it for me, you know how much I need this and what I want to say, write it for all of us! And Yes to pen and paper! S-

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:56 am

I figure it's time for a little update on this never-ending project. :doh:

I am currently expanding my services and have launched a newsletter to gain some exposure (and hopefully some credibility) with many of the small businesses and restaurants in my geographical area. I am using Smugmug for lack of a better solution at this time, however their site building mechanics leave a lot to be desired. Heck, they don't even have a proper word editor for the minimalist tools they do support. :x

Fortunately for me they do offer HTML and CSS support and being handy with both those I opted to custom create a front end mix of both their template based elements and my own coding. While not the best (or cleanest) it is a workable solution closer to what I would like offered from them. Well, it's a work in progress. Anyhow, I have redone my front page and added a newsletter landing page. I'll work on other parts later. Feel free to give me your observations. Mind you, I have no idea how any of what I've done will look on some of the other operating systems and browsers. If you come across a critical failure please screen grab an image and post it here. We'll all have a laugh at it. :lol:

Front Page

Newsletter landing page

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:10 am

Duck wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:56 am
I figure it's time for a little update on this never-ending project. :doh:
Front page -
Are you tied to that pea-green color?
A quick look reads About Portfolio until you look at the rest and it finally makes sense.
"Medium-sized" is one hyphenated word.
"Browse through my portfolios below" = Portfolio
"Some of my services include..." = Services Include
"I can also help you with your Social Media Advertising" = Including Social Media Advertising
"To Initiate A Project Quote Click Here" = Quote

Newsletter -
"relate to the small" = remove the extra space
"I hope to bring you" = remove the extra space

It's all subjective so don't mind me. S-