"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." — Thomas Alva Edison

General DiscussionsWebsite building is hard work

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Website building is hard work

Post by Duck » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:49 am

I recently took it upon myself to expand the capabilities of my website beyond that of a simple portfolio site. Since I deal with clients looking for product images there is a lot involved that needs to be considered. That was my motivation for adding on to my site, to allow clients and potential clients access to additional information. This section of the site is not "public", meaning there are no direct links from the portfolio site to access this information. If a client or lead needs that information I simply direct them to the link and they have access.

If anyone is interested in looking at the progress as I continue developing it, the link is UnitasPhotography.com/Client-Services.

Any feedback, ideas or suggestions would be immensely appreciated.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:08 pm

I've looked around and am thoroughly impressed! Absolute best of luck, although I don't have to tell you that luck has nothing to do with it. (Y)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by minniev » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:54 pm

Duck wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:49 am
I recently took it upon myself to expand the capabilities of my website beyond that of a simple portfolio site. Since I deal with clients looking for product images there is a lot involved that needs to be considered. That was my motivation for adding on to my site, to allow clients and potential clients access to additional information. This section of the site is not "public", meaning there are no direct links from the portfolio site to access this information. If a client or lead needs that information I simply direct them to the link and they have access.

If anyone is interested in looking at the progress as I continue developing it, the link is UnitasPhotography.com/Client-Services.

I'll be attacking this problem sometime this year (it's on the list), but with different purposes than you have, so I'll be following your progress which I admire. Once I figured out that this wasn't a public "storefront" for your site, I could see what made sense about what you've created here and how you've ordered it, as a business info add-on. Of course my own initial response was the anxiety I always feel when I see photos of your studio, generated probably by my suspicion that I'm a hopeless loser since I don't understand or use anything even remotely kin to that stuff. But yes, clients would be comforted by the fact that you DO have all that stuff and you know what to do with it, could do it for them at a fee, and have it turn out elegant and precise. Good thinking to add it in this way.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:56 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:08 pm
I've looked around and am thoroughly impressed!
Thanks Charles. I know most people think I have to be crazy to get into this game. I'm sure you're secretly shaking your head after having gone through it yourself :-D

As I work on this back section I'm trying to see through the client's perspective but I find sometimes I'm a bit too close. I know there will be areas that can be condensed and others that can be eliminated. If at any point you feel like giving me some honest feedback (brutal is preferred) I'd greatly appreciate it. I know I still have a lot to do on it (I haven't even touched the food or event sections) so ongoing critiques would definitely help.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:03 pm

minniev wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:54 pm
Good thinking to add it in this way.

Thanks Minnie. I got this idea from another photographer I know who suggested a 'hidden' section. It makes sense because it doesn't clutter up the main site with unwanted or unneeded links going deeper and deeper into the abyss. :-) It also adds that 'comfort' level you mentioned. Clients can access the information any time they want. I just have to crack down and get it finished. Unfortunately I tend to be my own worst enemy as I want everything to be perfect and I overthink my process. Having a second set of eyes always helps me out.

Like I said to Chuck, any brutally honest feedback is more than greatly appreciated. This will help me streamline this section.

Thanks

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:22 pm

Duck wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:56 pm
Thanks Charles. I know most people think I have to be crazy to get into this game. I'm sure you're secretly shaking your head after having gone through it yourself :-D

As I work on this back section I'm trying to see through the client's perspective but I find sometimes I'm a bit too close. I know there will be areas that can be condensed and others that can be eliminated. If at any point you feel like giving me some honest feedback (brutal is preferred) I'd greatly appreciate it. I know I still have a lot to do on it (I haven't even touched the food or event sections) so ongoing critiques would definitely help.
I do not think you are crazy! I got into it because I enjoyed doing it and I was a big dummy. My assessment at present is that you are doing more than fine photographically and web-site-ally (??). You've already run at least one successful tattoo business so check that box. As you know I think that was THE single biggest mistake we made, not having business skills going in but worse, not developing them. I don't know what we were thinking or even whether we were thinking but it cost us BIG time! (Bigly?) We also had too many things too beyond our control and no business sense to counterpunch. Rents go steadily up (duh) but our prices never did, and we started too low anyway (lack of confidence). We entered the fray just (just!) at the second the Hunt Brothers (1 percenters) cornered the silver market and blew the doors off; the price of film and paper doubled, then tripled; our prices "held the line" (who the hell did we think we were protecting?). The oil crisis further inflated the price of paper and film because the film base and the resin coatings were all oil-based. The base prices for our bread-and-butter materials soared, but we were too scared to raise our own prices (dum de dumb). No one can guarantee anything in business (or life) but you have your head on straight and the skills you need. I think you should be fine. (Y)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:26 am

I was contacted a week ago to quote a big drop and pop job for a local manufacturer. The presentation went well but unfortunately I didn't have this back end finished (oh well). Anyhow, the person I talked to said he was, "impressed by my understanding of their needs," and "had a good feeling." I sent them a quote I felt was better than what they were paying their previous (out of state) photo service and he replied that he would get back to me in a couple of days as they had some things to put together. It's been a week and I called to see if I could answer any questions they may have. I was told they do have some questions but to give them a few more days.

ARGH! The waiting is killing me. I am shutting down one business and getting into another that requires a lot more hustling on my part. I must be insane. This waiting is making me nervous. :o

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by minniev » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:45 pm

Duck wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:26 am
I was contacted a week ago to quote a big drop and pop job for a local manufacturer. The presentation went well but unfortunately I didn't have this back end finished (oh well). Anyhow, the person I talked to said he was, "impressed by my understanding of their needs," and "had a good feeling." I sent them a quote I felt was better than what they were paying their previous (out of state) photo service and he replied that he would get back to me in a couple of days as they had some things to put together. It's been a week and I called to see if I could answer any questions they may have. I was told they do have some questions but to give them a few more days.

ARGH! The waiting is killing me. I am shutting down one business and getting into another that requires a lot more hustling on my part. I must be insane. This waiting is making me nervous. :o
It makes me feel nervous for you. In my experience, any kind of business agreement involves a lot of hurry-up-and-wait and nail-biting on the part of the person whose livelihood depends on the answer.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:12 pm

Duck wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:49 am

Duck,

I have taken the liberty of suggesting a rewrite of your first paragraph. Apologies if I have offended.

Matt

It is no secret that attracting new buyers in the current market is getting more competitive as internet sales increase and social media grows. Let me help you leverage your company to greater sales potentials with clean, well lit, well composed images. Do not settle for the amateur photos everyone else is using.

Internet sales and social media have raised the level of competition for businesses; it's a new and rapidly evolving marketplace. What worked in the past has limited impact now. My media knowledge and expertise will increase your company's sales through visuals that communicate your uniqueness and capture clients.
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:06 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:12 pm
Duck,

I have taken the liberty of suggesting a rewrite of your first paragraph. Apologies if I have offended.
Offense... really? No way. Your edit is much cleaner and business-like. THank you. I've implemented the changes.

Thank you for taking the time and effort to help. It is greatly appreciated.