General DiscussionsA pM Retreat? Share Your Thoughts

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: A pM Retreat? Share Your Thoughts

Post by Charles Haacker » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:00 pm

I suspect it's a poor photographer who can't find something to shoot wherever. I am uberflexible time-wise (wish everyone was). I don't especially care where we might join up. I hate to fly but my real problem is with the TSA. I recognize the need (I guess. I still think it's mostly Security Theater barn-door-after-the-horse harassment) but I tend to bridle at too-frequent horror tales of strip searches of old ladies and 5-year-olds. I have a temper and tend to carry an attitude into airports because I am expecting Gestapo treatment so the odds are they would ID me as a Bad Guy on sight just from the look on my kisser and off we'd go. My son Matt says the trick is to avoid big hub airports: fly out of a little puddle jumper to a hub to another puddle jumper and back. The TSA folks in the small airports are much less fascist than the big ones simply because there is less overall pressure and once you are past the security they leaves ya alone. Makes sense. I still don't wanna fly but I would if I had to trying Matt's method, but what I really want is to take Rose out for what may be the Last Road Trip because then I could also find interesting stuff along the way. If I can afford it I really, really wanna go. Our photoMentoris crowd seems to me to be a pretty good bunch of like-minded polite people. I think we might have a whale of a good time, get lots of pitchers, and learn things.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Duck » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:15 pm

Seeing as I've never been to many places in the US, Mississippi sounds good. It's about 18-20 hour drive for me. Or I'd fly if I'm traveling light.

I've never been to New Orleans, the Grand Canyon or Texas. Heck, Niagara falls is about five hours from me and I've yet to visit.

I need to get out more. :sad:
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:20 pm

Duck wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:15 pm
Seeing as I've never been to many places in the US, Mississippi sounds good. It's about 18-20 hour drive for me. Or I'd fly if I'm traveling light.

I've never been to New Orleans, the Grand Canyon or Texas. Heck, Niagara falls is about five hours from me and I've yet to visit.

I need to get out more. :sad:
I've wondered about Amtrack too and isn't it amazing to closer it is the less we go. S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:27 pm

I'm game for Niagara, Grand Canyon, or New Orleans too. Or Yosemite or Seattle or Cumberland Island or Big Bend or Switzerland. Or just about anywhere. But staying in some places can be expensive, would take some figuring out...

(NOLA is 3 hrs from here, and could be incorporated???)

Flying is annoying but I do it fairly often and TSA has never been more than just that, an annoyance. The big bird gets me where I'm going and I've learned to love the view it gives me (now I will admit that there was a time when I was terrified of flying, but that vanished after 9/11. What left was there to fear after the worst had already happened?) Flight does preclude me from stopping along the way to smell the flowers though, so I like to mix it up.

Yah, we have a good group.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:06 pm

The single biggest reason we bought Rose the Tiny Tent Trailer was that we wanted to GGOooo but knew that moteling it or flying or even Amtraking was too $pendy, but we thought if we could camp hither and yon (and we had been long-time tent campers living on the ground) we could manage it, and we were right. It's one reason I think I could road-trip it someplace and live aboard Rose, just as we always did. I've never worked out the actual costs and don't wanna because I'd probably discover how wrong we were all those years (2010 through 2015), but my first instinct would still be to haul Rose here and there and live aboard (so to speak; she lacks some, erm, amenities). If we got up to Monhegan I'd try to find a place to lock her to a lamppost on a quiet street where no one would care if she were parked there a few days (we have actually done that).
Attachments
27645666095_a98f8200fc_z - Edited.jpg
Rose and Daisy Too, ready when you are, C.B.
27645666095_a98f8200fc_z - Edited.jpg (110.62 KiB) Viewed 532 times
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:59 am

Charles Haacker wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:06 pm
The single biggest reason we bought Rose the Tiny Tent Trailer was that we wanted to GGOooo ...
Tent trailer camping is an amazing way to see the country! S-

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:02 am

Charles Haacker wrote:
The single biggest reason we bought Rose the Tiny Tent Trailer was that we wanted to GGOooo ...
St3v3M wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:59 am

I've always loved the idea of traveling like that (small tow behind camper) but have always been too afraid. I don't know enough about that kind of lifestyle. Where to go, the logistics involved, how to plan, etc. Basically everything needed to go wandering like that.

I've even looked at small campers that my Jeep could easily tow but never made the commitment. I envy those that have the nerve, skill and knowledge to do so. Although, with today's internet it's probably a lot easier.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:10 am

Duck wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:02 am
I've always loved the idea of traveling like that (small tow behind camper) but have always been too afraid. I don't know enough about that kind of lifestyle. Where to go, the logistics involved, how to plan, etc. Basically everything needed to go wandering like that.

I've even looked at small campers that my Jeep could easily tow but never made the commitment. I envy those that have the nerve, skill and knowledge to do so. Although, with today's internet it's probably a lot easier.
I've been camping since before I remember and am happy to answer any questions. S-

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:49 am

Duck wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:02 am
Charles Haacker wrote:
St3v3M wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:59 am

I'd be happy to share whatever I may have learned. We started tent camping when Matt was a tyke because like so many, we really couldn't afford vacations any other way. Camping is a learned skill. Some people absolutely despise it. As a Noo Yawk Sitee kid I had absolutely no camping experience until the army, when they loaded us up with what they called "shelter halves" on our 50-pound packs and marched us 18 miles in the rain to bivouac in the mud. I learned then that the weather gods listen for that word "bivouac." Then they smile and nod and laugh and make a bunch of wet, cold, sandy miserable city kids swear that as god is mah witness ah shall nevah go campin' again!

Until ya try it again and and again and eventually discover that it's a learned skill like any other (the army did not teach it well). You can get good at it and like anything ya get good at ya can learn to like it. I eventually backpacked with my son when he was in Scouts.

Daphne and I just stepped up from the ground in the literal sense. Daphne was no longer able to get out of a tent except by crawling on hands and knees. We did lots of homework and finally settled on Rose, a Livin' Lite Quicksilver 8.1, 8' long, opens to 16', weighs less than 1,000 pounds, has a GVWR of 1,500 and can be towed by pretty much anything. She is solid aluminum so there is nothing to rust or rot. This link is to her lovingly kept album on Flickr. There are others out there. I liked the Quicksilver because of simple simplicity. She is not a "pop-up;" she is a "flip-out." Up in 5 minutes, down in 5 minutes once you know how (learned skill). Biggest single "problem," no onboard "facilities." We just always camped where there was at least what we called a KYBO (and if you don't know what that is ask a Boy Scout). Touring we got in the habit of gypsying from KOA to KOA, not the cheapest nor the most expensive, but uniformly clean, excellent facilities, safe (at our age we needed to feel safe). The trick I developed was to make all reservations on line (all KOA's have excellent free WiFi). I'd figure out how far I wanted to go, find the nearest KOA, put in the reservation online and special request a back-in site (for tiny trailers) near the washrooms. Worked like a charm! It's exactly what I will do if we do this thing and I take a road trip. I can set Rose alone. I'd rather not, but I can.

Ask me anything. You have my email.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:34 am

There are plenty of bed and breakfast places and whole house weekend rentals out there we could consider. We can bring our own groceries to save on meals (I'm an awesome cook, if I don't say so myself). Those with larger vehicles can be our car pools.

Just tossing ideas.