The only person you should try to be better than is who you were yesterday. – unknown

General DiscussionsA pM Retreat? Share Your Thoughts

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

A pM Retreat? Share Your Thoughts

Post by minniev » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:31 am

Have you been wondering what The Owl meant in the teaser about a pM Meetup in October?

A retreat could be a time for us to come together so we can shoot and process our photos, discuss our strategies and results, learn from one another and just get to know everyone! We all have different strengths and challenges, different ways of seeing. We share our love for visual stories and the joy of finding and capturing them. I’ve done trips like this with a few pM friends and it has enriched my personal and my photographic life. Maybe you would be interested too. My own suggestion about a perfect meetup location would be Monhegan Island, which many of you know through my pictures. Monhegan is off the coast of Maine, accessed by ferry. The major tourist season is over by October, and it is possible to rent a sizable house to accommodate a group and tend to much of our own food, eliminating some expenses. No cars are allowed on the tiny island, and everything is walkable. Flights into Bangor or Portland can get you within a couple of hours of a ferry route, and group planning can help manage the costs of getting to the ferry.

We could spend about four full days together, exploring the island, shooting the lobster fishermen, the birds, landscapes and seascapes, forests and architecture, sharing ideas and discoveries, and helping each other learn. At night, we could process and share our images and learn editing strategies with self-led workshops or we could schedule “classes” on subjects we want to know more about. And we could socialize! We could do anything and everything from an impromptu 'Grab Them Off The Street’ photo booth or we could pretend we're the paparazzi taking photos of Trap Day and take over the town! We could post flyers and hold Free Photography Classes and or offer Free Photo Walks. The ideas are limitless!

Going even more economical, another option with far more humble opportunities but at a very limited cost is my refurbished house in Sallis, MS. It has four big bedrooms and will have plenty of couches scattered elsewhere. It’s 1905 country-style living, but it’s free! The land is beautiful, and the house has many possibilities, but we might want to schedule some field trips to a few of the more attractive areas nearby (including the dam). Steve says there's more to offer here than I realize and more history than I know. The house could be our base of operations, but the same ideas for Monhegan apply, a photo booth, free photo classes, free photo walks, and more. It's Good Ol' Country Livin' and you're all welcome anytime!

We need to make reservations for a rental if we're going to Trap Day but are less strained if we're staying at The House.

Reply here, or send a PM to me or St3v3M, as soon as you can even if it's a maybe so we can get a headcount and get this going!  Hope to meet ya’ll there, or somewhere, this fall!

MinnieV
Attachments
mon (1 of 1)-2.jpg
Monhegan, Main Street
mon (1 of 1)-3.jpg
On Fish Beach, Monhegan
mon (1 of 1)-4.jpg
my old house in October
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:21 am

I'm in. Either location. I'll even offer up my Lightroom Intensive workshop for those who really want to get a handle on the power of Lightroom.

I also have a ton of gear I can offer. Of course, if we do Maine I can really bring a lot of gear as it's close to home and I can load up a vehicle better than I can a commercial airliner. I love the idea of people sharing their strengths to the group. I know my weakness is portraiture and would welcome anything along that route.

Four days though... not enough time. :-D
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:31 am

minniev wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:31 am
Reply here, or send a PM to me or St3v3M, as soon as you can even if it's a maybe so we can get a headcount and get this going!  Hope to meet ya’ll there, or somewhere, this fall!

MinnieV
Four days is not enough, but if we get enough people interested we can do one this year and one the next!

I also added an Event to Facebook to mark if you're Interested, Going, or not. The dates are approximate for now. S-
- The First Annual pM Meetup
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:35 am

Duck wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:21 am
I'm in. Either location. I'll even offer up my Lightroom Intensive workshop for those who really want to get a handle on the power of Lightroom.

I also have a ton of gear I can offer. Of course, if we do Maine I can really bring a lot of gear as it's close to home and I can load up a vehicle better than I can a commercial airliner. I love the idea of people sharing their strengths to the group. I know my weakness is portraiture and would welcome anything along that route.

Four days though... not enough time. :-D
I think Maine would be a dream location for many of us. I hope some others will get interested. The discussion is open for any questions and any suggestions. Those wanting to discuss can post or PM.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:35 am

Boy I gotta give this some thought! My instant reaction is that I would love to do it, and lordy, if only Daphne were with me. We'd make it a road trip with Rose (I really hate to fly). I have to think about finances. I am of course more foot loose and fancy free than ever, but I lost my right arm so... I also don't walk so good no more but... My instant reaction remains yeah, I gotta do it one way or another, but I can't commit until I look at the logistics. Wow what a swell idea! (By the way Min --- PAINTERLY pictures! That towhead intent on something on the beach could be me 70 years ago on Block Island.))[/i]

By the way, I suspended my Facebook account a year ago. Too much politics!
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:58 am

Here's a thought...

Plot out where everyone resides who is interested in getting together and then try to find a central location that will satisfy the requirements for a successful photographic trip.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:03 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:35 am
Boy I gotta give this some thought! My instant reaction is that I would love to do it, and lordy, if only Daphne were with me. We'd make it a road trip with Rose (I really hate to fly). I have to think about finances. I am of course more foot loose and fancy free than ever, but I lost my right arm so... I also don't walk so good no more but... My instant reaction remains yeah, I gotta do it one way or another, but I can't commit until I look at the logistics. Wow what a swell idea! (By the way Min --- PAINTERLY pictures! That towhead intent on something on the beach could be me 70 years ago on Block Island.))[/i]

By the way, I suspended my Facebook account a year ago. Too much politics!
Glad you find the idea appealing Chuck. Give it some thought and get back to us, and ask questions/make suggestions while you think. It would be fun, and we're committed to keeping costs down and helping each other.

The tow-head was perfecting his skill at rock-skipping, and examining rocks to find the best ones. I remember doing the same off Long Island as a kid. (not many rocks on the gulf beaches). The fog gives a huge assist to the painterly look.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Charles Haacker » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:36 am

Duck wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:58 am
Here's a thought...

Plot out where everyone resides who is interested in getting together and then try to find a central location that will satisfy the requirements for a successful photographic trip.
I am presently in Lincoln, Nebraska, formerly Madison, Wisconsin. My son Matt says there is a way to "ping" one's location on a map. Others ping theirs. An algorithm can then average all the pings and arrive at a central point roughly equidistant from them all. The idea has a certain appeal. I would love to see Monhegan, but there are other attractive places more central. I'm not terribly chuffed on Nebraska but I always think Great Lakes, for example, especially Superior, and absolutely in October because for one thing (as Matt points out) most of the bugs are dead. :) Logistics, lodging, so on are way beyond me (we just hauled Rosie everywhere and lived in KOA's), but if traveling all the way down east to Maine is a hardship a more central approach is something to consider, and the map-ping-thing sounds interesting.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:50 pm

I'm always interested in this sort of thing. However, the time frame may be an issue with me. I will be in Mobile, Alabama September 11-15-2018. Then moving on to Houston, Texas the following week to visit my son. My return trip is a planned stop in New Orleans for a few days. So depending on the chosen location and time frame in October? I have no issue with the chosen location, but like Chuck, I will not fly anywhere anymore.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:12 pm

Dave and Chuck:
Thanks for chiming in. Let the conversation continue! I hope we'll find a solution that is accessible to the group. My own offer of The House in middle Mississippi remains on the table, of course. It's the only free place I have to offer, and it's short on luxuries and grand views but the price is right! Nothing is gonna be close to everyone, but some places may be closer to some of us than others, and different ones of us have travel restrictions and time constraints.

Anyone who's interested, suggest options you find favorable and let's explore the possibilities. Do post pictures or links of your ideas!

I'm flexible with travel, I don't mind driving or flying or riding trains or boats. Leave me off the bus though, I don't wanta go there! If spouses or pets want to come, we can look into accommodations that make that more workable.
Attachments
robin (1 of 1).jpg
a candid cousin in the yard
gate (1 of 1).jpg
an artified shot of the "garden"
shed (1 of 1)-2.jpg
one of the old houses on the farm