Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: A pM Retreat? Share Your Thoughts

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:32 pm

Duck wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:48 am
Matt Quinn wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:28 pm
Dave, I am verry verry interested but, as I have explained to Minnie in a private message, personal circumstances prevent me from attending. I envy the group getting together like this, especially with Duck leading us into the deep and dark secrets of LR. And with you at the oven. And Chuck boiling water. A sight to be seen and pictured. Matt

Not to worry Matt. The wife and I have a spare bedroom. You and your wife are more than welcomed to stay a day or two with us as you travel up to the Cape. We can do some shooting, get you straightened out with Lightroom and have some fun in the process.
Duck,

Marvelous offer. We won't be packing the car until late May, so I'll respond shortly before then. Many thanks. I hope I can do it. A splendid way to start the summer with the camera. And dangerous. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Duck » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:01 pm

My pleasure Matt. Hopefully you and your wife can make a visit happen. That would be nice.

As for the meetup... Minnie's offer of the use of her house/gallery is way more than generous and could possibly offset some expense for those on a tighter budget. I am definitely in and after talking with my wife, she is in too. If Minnie's offer is taken advantage of I suggest repaying with an offer to help do some chores that may be lagging behind? Just a thought.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:39 am

Duck wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:01 pm
My pleasure Matt. Hopefully you and your wife can make a visit happen. That would be nice.

As for the meetup... Minnie's offer of the use of her house/gallery is way more than generous and could possibly offset some expense for those on a tighter budget. I am definitely in and after talking with my wife, she is in too. If Minnie's offer is taken advantage of I suggest repaying with an offer to help do some chores that may be lagging behind? Just a thought.
Just for fun I mapped a road trip from my home in Lincoln, Nebraska, to Sallis, MS, running as much as practicable down the Great River because Daphne loved it so. I've never seen the Gateway Arch in St. Louis. I discovered there is an RV Park and Hotel on the Illinois side in easy walking distance of the overlook where everybody (yeah I know everybody yada so forth but I gots no 'magination, ohhh KAYYY?) makes the shot looking west across the river to the old courthouse (I think it is). Being there I could get it at sunset, nightfall, and dawn. It's just a thought but a reason I'd want to road-trip with Rosie if it happens at all.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:07 am

Charles Haacker wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:39 am
Just for fun I mapped a road trip from my home in Lincoln, Nebraska, to Sallis, MS, [...] It's just a thought but a reason I'd want to road-trip with Rosie if it happens at all.

You're giving me ideas... Those campers can be rented, I assume. I might just rent one for the trip and plan a sightseeing tour along the way.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:45 am

Charles Haacker wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:39 am
Just for fun I mapped a road trip from my home in Lincoln, Nebraska, to Sallis, MS, running as much as practicable down the Great River because Daphne loved it so. I've never seen the Gateway Arch in St. Louis. I discovered there is an RV Park and Hotel on the Illinois side in easy walking distance of the overlook where everybody (yeah I know everybody yada so forth but I gots no 'magination, ohhh KAYYY?) makes the shot looking west across the river to the old courthouse (I think it is). Being there I could get it at sunset, nightfall, and dawn. It's just a thought but a reason I'd want to road-trip with Rosie if it happens at all.
It's an odd little 'elevator' but I did the arch years ago and really enjoyed it! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:46 am

Duck wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:07 am
You're giving me ideas... Those campers can be rented, I assume. I might just rent one for the trip and plan a sightseeing tour along the way.
A small Class C is all you need to road-trip it. Basically you pay, they explain, you buy groceries and off you go! S-

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:23 pm

Duck wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:07 am
St3v3M wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:46 am
A small Class C is all you need to road-trip it. Basically you pay, they explain, you buy groceries and off you go! S-
Yep, just that simple. Small jobs are easy to drive and back, can camp just about anywhere (as opposed to the big bus conversions), have lots of onboard amenities unlike, say, Rose, but we opted to do without for the sake of simplicity and not wanting to have to deal with, say, "black water" tanks (N) but only 'cuz that's more yucky-sounding than it actually is. There is still a learning curve but it's not as abrupt as, say, tenting on the ground. And when you're done you just turn it back in rather than having to pay $$$ to winter store it and maintain it.
St3v3M wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:45 am
It's an odd little 'elevator' but I did the arch years ago and really enjoyed it! S-
I was mostly thinking of getting pictures of it rather than from it plus I have a little issue with heights, but I definitely have to look into it if I ever get there, one way or t'other.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:54 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:23 pm
[...] There is still a learning curve but it's not as abrupt as, say, tenting on the ground. And when you're done you just turn it back in rather than having to pay $$$ to winter store it and maintain it.

I have no issues tenting. I did that for many years in my youth. It's the whole camper/KOAs/planning thing that I'm trying to understand. I'm probably overthinking it, as I tend to do. But the idea of motoring down has its appeal.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:44 pm

Duck wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:54 pm
Charles Haacker wrote:
[...] There is still a learning curve but it's not as abrupt as, say, tenting on the ground. And when you're done you just turn it back in rather than having to pay $$$ to winter store it and maintain it.

I have no issues tenting. I did that for many years in my youth. It's the whole camper/KOAs/planning thing that I'm trying to understand. I'm probably overthinking it, as I tend to do. But the idea of motoring down has its appeal.
Some people, me for example, had zero camping experience. My first was the army and I really, really, really hated it, not just because it was the army (I only "volunteered" to "dodge" the draft) but because I was miserable and no one seemed to care to help us literal tenderfeet mitigate our physical discomfort. It was learn-by-doing with the blind leading the blind (all the other guys were city kids too). I quite literally looked to the sky like Scarlett and swore I would nevah go campin' again, but we had a kid, and Daphne's sister told me, "If you don't take him camping we will!" (They had three and were major veteran campers.) That gauntlet thrown I discovered camping to the extent I LOVE camping, but I learned the hard way how to keep clean and warm and dry and comfy.

That's where KOA comes in. When Daphne and I started we turned our noses up. KOA?! Parking lot "camping," which in fact it mostly is, but once we were no longer camping to camp (but rather camping to tour) we changed our minds. There are RV parks all over, some of them terrific, some of them no so much, some of them dumps (but I also belong to Good Sam and they can help weed out the dumps). KOA is kinda the McDonald's of camping: very consistent. Very few are company owned. Almost all are franchised and to stay in the system they must toe a pretty high mark for cleanliness and service. KOA bathrooms are always but always terrific or else. Security was/is big with us. We always feel safe in a KOA. Many are in fact parking lots
ImageRose in Pasco, Washington KOA by Charles Haacker, on Flickr
but if you get in enough of them you discover that many are also almost "camping."
ImageKOA Livingston/Paradise Valley by Charles Haacker, on Flickr

For us the best part was the consistency and the ability to drift from place to place along any imaginable route. Sometimes we would not bother to make a reservation depending on the season, but their reservation system is as good as any 3-star or better hotel chain. We (I can't say I, it's always us) are members, which earns us discounts and points that are more discounts and never expire. I sound like I work for the chain. I don't and have encountered the rare bad experience like anyplace else, but for us planning a road trip included finding the nearby KOA, and since there are hundreds of them it's always easy.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:50 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
I was mostly thinking of getting pictures of it rather than from it plus I have a little issue with heights, but I definitely have to look into it if I ever get there, one way or t'other.
I'm not afraid of heights, more that sudden stop at the bottom when you fall...so I get it and was a little apprehensive about it too, especially when I saw the little 'elevator' that I tried to look past and was rewarded with an amazing view! Life is like that! S-