“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” —Vince Lombardi

Forum software has been updated to latest version. Please report any issues you may encounter. - Thanks

General DiscussionsA pM Retreat? Share Your Thoughts

davechinn
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: A pM Retreat? Share Your Thoughts

Post by davechinn » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:41 pm

Well so far it looks as though only five of us have shown an interest. I understand it's still early, but maybe a more set time frame would be encouraging for future planning. I have no objection to a chosen destination and would be quite happy with what and where the majority chooses. I love to travel, if not just for the sake of traveling in itself. Just to throw in another part of the country as an idea of location. Monument Valley in Utah or Arizona would be a beautiful and interesting location for that time of year. Expensive, I'm sure and reservations would be a hazard I'm sure. Just a thought.
https://utah.com/monument-valley/visito ... nation_pag

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Charles Haacker » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:30 pm

Duck wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:34 am
There are plenty of bed and breakfast places and whole house weekend rentals out there we could consider. We can bring our own groceries to save on meals (I'm an awesome cook, if I don't say so myself). Those with larger vehicles can be our car pools.

Just tossing ideas.
Only yesterday I boiled water, made oatmeal according to directions, ate it and washed the bowl! Take THAT, Mr. "Awesome Cook!"
davechinn wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:41 pm
Well so far it looks as though only five of us have shown an interest. I understand it's still early, but maybe a more set time frame would be encouraging for future planning. I have no objection to a chosen destination and would be quite happy with what and where the majority chooses. I love to travel, if not just for the sake of traveling in itself. Just to throw in another part of the country as an idea of location. Monument Valley in Utah or Arizona would be a beautiful and interesting location for that time of year. Expensive, I'm sure and reservations would be a hazard I'm sure. Just a thought.
Labor Day this year is Monday, September 3. Being retired, Daphne and I tended to plan for all sorts of stuff after Labor Day for fewer crowds, lower prices, fewer bugs, better weather, all that stuff, but the key 🔑 thing is to be retired, footloose and fancy free. If you are not it can become challenging to impossible depending. You have to schedule vacation time. There may be family conflict; you get 2 weeks and they don't want to be dragged off for a meetup with a bunch'a fotogeeks (I don't know how Daphne would feel about this had she lived. She lived to travel but I was the photographer). Min originally suggested October, which I think is fine. I think pretty much any time after Labor Day and before the snow flies is fine. I'm pretty sure that trying to do anything during "the Season," especially late in "the Season" would be far too $pendy plus crowded, especially around the great tourist draws like Monument Valley (where incidentally Daphne and I never got). Like Dave I don't care where; if I can do it at all, physically and phinancially, I will do it. Like Dave I also love to travel, esp. road trip for the sake of all the cool stuff along the way. I think 5 of us is a little little, but a meetup doesn't have to be big, does it? I know Minnie has been lucky enough to meet singly with Dave and Graham and Steve already so far. A bigger group maybe gets a better deal on a rental or something, but that's a logistical thing I would defer to folks who have planned such things and know their way around.

I gotta say the reason I seem so chuffed about the whole thing is that I truly feel that ours is a swell group of folks! That's no BS. I'm pretty isolated so most of my friends are "virtual." I wouldn't be nearly this enthused if we had one solitary even-maybe-troll lurking under our bridge because that SOB might horn in and roooon everything. But our bunch so far seems to be pretty decent, level headed, polite, and courteous. We are all of us human (except you but nobody cares about you :D ) so I think I can say with some certainty that not all of us agree on everything, maybe even anything, but we manage to keep it all civil, with no need for an Attic thank goodness (so far). In time we'll probably attract a troll or two so this might be our only chance of a get-together before some jerk tries to flip the bridge. So that's why I really wanna see this happen and be there if I possibly can! :angel:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Duck » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:41 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:30 pm
Only yesterday I boiled water, made oatmeal according to directions, ate it and washed the bowl! Take THAT, Mr. "Awesome Cook!"
Note to self... Charles is not allowed in the kitchen! (N)
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImageImage

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:59 pm

Duck wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:41 pm
Note to self... Charles is not allowed in the kitchen! (N)
At least he washed the bowl! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:45 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:59 pm
AHA! KP duty. Alright! :rofl:

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by Matt Quinn » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:28 pm

davechinn wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:41 pm
Dave, I am verry verry interested but, as I have explained to Minnie in a private message, personal circumstances prevent me from attending. I envy the group getting together like this, especially with Duck leading us into the deep and dark secrets of LR. And with you at the oven. And Chuck boiling water. A sight to be seen and pictured. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:48 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:28 pm
Dave, I am verry verry interested but, as I have explained to Minnie in a private message, personal circumstances prevent me from attending. I envy the group getting together like this, especially with Duck leading us into the deep and dark secrets of LR. And with you at the oven. And Chuck boiling water. A sight to be seen and pictured. Matt

Not to worry Matt. The wife and I have a spare bedroom. You and your wife are more than welcomed to stay a day or two with us as you travel up to the Cape. We can do some shooting, get you straightened out with Lightroom and have some fun in the process.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:25 pm

Duck wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:45 pm
St3v3M wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:59 pm
AHA! KP duty. Alright! :rofl:
The fact is I discovered that KP was far preferable to guard, especially in winter! You were warm, had all the coffee you could drink, and having an in with Cookie was never a bad thing! :) I was not above volunteering to get out of guard. KP you can do in the sleet; guard not so much. :D
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

PietFrancke
Mentoris Praefectus
Mentoris Praefectus

Post by PietFrancke » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:31 pm

I have been watching this thread with anticipation and fear too. I am close to jumping onboard, but it may be awkward for me for a while, we would have to figure out how to get the dog taken care of (perhaps a daughter taking a vacation here during that time). But wanted to share that other than the logistics of it and the fear of making a commitment, this is something that I think is awesome.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:54 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:31 pm
I have been watching this thread with anticipation and fear too. I am close to jumping onboard, but it may be awkward for me for a while, we would have to figure out how to get the dog taken care of (perhaps a daughter taking a vacation here during that time). But wanted to share that other than the logistics of it and the fear of making a commitment, this is something that I think is awesome.
It's clear several of us want to do it! In every case there is something dragging anchor, me probably least of all because I am lucky enough to be very free, no serious obligations, no job, no dog, not even a wife although I am certain that if Daphne were alive and healthy she'd be there. I think because anything that would happen would be some 8 months off there is among us all a certain hang-back-and-see-who-leads-off thing. Somebody has to actually plan it. I am terrible at planning, but there should be useful things I could do on a committee. How much interest do we need? Right now I think it's 6 or 8-ish with interest at least. I suspect that the way any Meetup wold develop would depend first on how many folks are able to commit. I'm not the guy to form a committee but I could certainly be on one. I think our current leadership, Duck, Minnie, Steve, could form the core (although I think Steve has some issues that could preclude his actually going). Heck, I could have issues that could preclude my going but at this stage it's impossible to know what, but I'm obviously slavering to go if at all possible so...
I VOLUNTEER! I VOLUNTEER AS, um, committee member doing whatever thingy. :clap: (You have my email)