"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

General DiscussionsA pM Retreat? Share Your Thoughts

User avatar
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 2516
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:31 am
Location: Shelton, CT
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: A pM Retreat? Share Your Thoughts

Post by Duck » Wed May 16, 2018 8:45 pm

The question that remains now is, can we get this committed?
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Posts: 3674
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Wed May 16, 2018 9:03 pm

Duck wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 8:45 pm
The question that remains now is, can we get this committed?
And who wants to go where and when.

In many places there are air B and B type accommodations that can house multiple people in one house with a kitchen very reasonably. They can't beat the zero dollar accommodations I have but they have more amenities and more scenery.

I don't mind helping with organizing things once we know who wants to go where, and I'm sure Steve will help too.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 4291
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am
Location: 35,000 feet
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by St3v3M » Mon May 21, 2018 12:12 am

I'm in! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

User avatar
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 2516
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:31 am
Location: Shelton, CT
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by Duck » Mon May 21, 2018 2:07 am

Who, besides Minnie, is willing to host a location? This is just more than having a place to meet, it will likely also involve being a tour guide and facilitator to local amenities, pre organizing locations for any special group events, etc.

My local area sucks for photography get togethers. The closest thing is about an hour away at Mystic Seaport and Mystic Village. Cool location that allows photography for non-commercial use. I do have 1,800 sq ft of studio space and we have two bedrooms available for anyone wanting to stay with my wife and I.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 4291
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am
Location: 35,000 feet
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by St3v3M » Mon May 21, 2018 2:18 am

With proper reservations, we can go just about anywhere, but some places will cost more than others, LA, for instance, is an expensive part of the world but has plenty to do. Another option would be to rent an RV and take it up the 395 where there's plenty to see. We could do a cost analysis and see if a van and hotels are cheaper, and I may even be able to rustle up enough camping gear to really save money, but that comes with its own challenges too of course. S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

User avatar
Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Posts: 2495
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:12 pm
Location: MD in winter: Cape Cod in summer
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Matt Quinn » Mon May 21, 2018 3:00 am

St3v3M wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 2:18 am
With proper reservations, we can go just about anywhere, but some places will cost more than others, LA, for instance, is an expensive part of the world but has plenty to do. Another option would be to rent an RV and take it up the 395 where there's plenty to see. We could do a cost analysis and see if a van and hotels are cheaper, and I may even be able to rustle up enough camping gear to really save money, but that comes with its own challenges too of course. S-
Thinking of the group on the road in an RV:

Take photographs, leave tire tracks, steal ashtrays.

Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

User avatar
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 4291
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am
Location: 35,000 feet
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by St3v3M » Mon May 21, 2018 3:12 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 3:00 am
Thinking of the group on the road in an RV:

Take photographs, leave tire tracks, steal ashtrays.

Matt
That's hilarious! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Posts: 3674
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Mon May 21, 2018 3:08 pm

Just for kicks here is a shot from sunrise this morning at the MS potential host location. I’m willing to go anywhere (and Steve’s suggestion is very photo-rich one in fall, as is my alternate at Colorado’s Maroon Bells/ Estes Park area)

I’ve created a WiFi hotspot out here in the boondocks with a phone that hasn’t enough service to make a call, connected via my ipad, which is where I downloaded the photos from this morning and edited them. More in another thread later.
Attachments
06CCAA54-CE42-475B-8110-56E07370F0FF.jpeg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 4291
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am
Location: 35,000 feet
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by St3v3M » Mon May 21, 2018 4:11 pm

minniev wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 3:08 pm
Just for kicks here is a shot from sunrise this morning at the MS potential host location. I’m willing to go anywhere (and Steve’s suggestion is very photo-rich one in fall, as is my alternate at Colorado’s Maroon Bells/ Estes Park area)

I’ve created a WiFi hotspot out here in the boondocks with a phone that hasn’t enough service to make a call, connected via my ipad, which is where I downloaded the photos from this morning and edited them. More in another thread later.
Just before the blackberries! Love it! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

User avatar
Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Posts: 2495
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:12 pm
Location: MD in winter: Cape Cod in summer
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Matt Quinn » Mon May 21, 2018 4:28 pm

Minnie, I can smell that photo. Is it my eyes or does the it lean to the left? Or is that the good earth doing its MS early morning slip and slide? I will be with you all in spirit and mind, not body which will be, hopefully, recovering at Cape Cod. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests