General DiscussionsAre You Biased?

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Are You Biased?

Post by LindaShorey » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:54 pm

Duck, I remember seeing articles related to Esther Honig's experiment, so I will refresh + check out the other video and Steve's link too. Great stuff, many thanks!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:35 pm

This discussion immediately put me in mind of our current profound quote:
"We all march to different drummers, and then also, there is the flute!" —Piet Francke
So far the posts seem to agree that bias is. We all got 'em. Some biases are toxic, and people of good will need to guard against such and, within ourselves, root them out, but a bias against (or for), say, pink doesn't strike me as toxic. Different drummer, plus flute. :)

Steve, I went immediately to see the work you hated on sight. I did not hate it, but neither can I say I like it. On the website the backstory is right there so I don't have to wonder what the thing is about, and which explains why, if I find it ugly (I do) it is ugly for a reason. One of my particular biases is that I agree with this artist, at least up to a point, but given a different personality or take on life I could equally disagree, perhaps even very much. Keith Haring intended that the work evoke a reaction from the viewer. I suppose that any art is intended to get a reaction. When critiquing art one of the first things we suggest looking for is impact. I think there is little question Haring's pig has impact, evokes a strong reaction, if only on first sight. I was struck by what I perceive to be a strong similarity with both the work and its intended message to Picasso's justly famous Guernica. One is about the consequences of unbridled capitalism, the other about the consequences of unbridled war. I don't know nuthin' 'bout art an' stuff, but I think I could make an argument that Haring was influenced strongly by Picasso, especially in this particular work.

One of my biases is that I like to think I have pretty eclectic tastes. I am as likely to enjoy something like Haring's really pretty gross pig as I am a Degas or a Renoir or a Rembrandt (so on and so forth). I can genuinely say I like a lot of stuff that other folks sometimes viscerally dislike. But I think that can also be a bias, or maybe just a congenital wishy-washy-ness, one of those guys who stand for nothing so will fall for anything. :S (I hope not.)

But what if we had no biases? What if we all liked the same things exactly the same way? Wouldn't that make for a really dull world? (N)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:20 pm

I'm quite biassd!!!!! ;-)
Today is the Day, a New Day.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by St3v3M » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:06 am

Charles Haacker wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:35 pm
This discussion immediately put me in mind of our current profound quote:
"We all march to different drummers, and then also, there is the flute!" —Piet Francke
But what if we had no biases? What if we all liked the same things exactly the same way? Wouldn't that make for a really dull world? (N)
This one?
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (15.38 KiB) Viewed 303 times
And you're right, every little thing good and bad make us who we are! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by St3v3M » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:07 am

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote: