General DiscussionsRecommendation for print service for photo book

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Recommendation for print service for photo book

Post by Matt Quinn » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:19 am

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:Matt, I might be in a different lane than you are and I'm putting together a book myself with the hopes of having it printed by the end of 2019. I love the work that LensWork puts out and they are using https://www.hemlock.com/#!/. My book will be with about 100 pages and I will be printing about 500 copies.

Ernst, Not only are you in a different lane than I am, you are in a Bentley on an elevated highway and I am on old-fashioned metal roller skates on the streets of Brooklyn. But thank you for the thoughtful inclusion.

I love Lenswork and just received Monograph #12, "Indians at Work: Cultural Portraits." Stunning. You should submit to them, as I have suggested.

I will make only two copies of my book, probably using Chuck's recommendation for Mixbook, both of which I will keep and leave one to each of our two sons in the modest hope they will want to look at them when I am gone. I know they won't want my Lightroom files.

Thanks again.

Best, Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Duck » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:02 am

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:My book will be with about 100 pages and I will be printing about 500 copies.

I want one! :clap:

I'm reserving my autographed copy now. I'll bust open my "special secret probation" piggy bank for that one. :D
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Matt Quinn » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:06 am

Duck wrote:
Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:My book will be with about 100 pages and I will be printing about 500 copies.

I want one! :clap:

I'm reserving my autographed copy now. I'll bust open my "special secret probation" piggy bank for that one. :D

As will I. And I am second in line, behind Duck, for a low numbered autographed copy. But 2019 is a looong wait. But it will give me time to save my pennies. Matt
Matt Quinn

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:38 am

Charles Haacker wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:38 pm
I gotta put in another plug for Mixbook. I don't work for them (but they do offer some kind of perk for referrals through me but I don't care). I just received my shipment of books I did for the family, a paean to my late bride. You can see it and page through it here: https://www.mixbook.com/photo-books/int ... mK4wXkUjgU Be sure to click on the largest size for crisp detail.

The cover is my original sepia although they also offer toning on B&W. If you page to pages 2-3 you will see what they do with B&W. Most are "straight" from my B&W originals. A couple are "toned" using their "toning." The pages are what I think are a nice mix. The last picture on the lower left is their B&W from my color original. I could have left it color but I thought the mix looked better in almost all monochrome except for the picture on the far left, which was my bride about age 4. The original of that is a period (c. 1943) hand-tinted portrait on toned textured paper. We used to do those in our studio as late as 1993. I think the quality of the B&W is terrific, CMYK or not. If you keep going through you'll see lots more B&W. Personally I would not hesitate but they are your pictures!

Charles, I just received my Mixbook but they didn't provide and electronic copy that I can share with you the way you did. How did you do it? Thanks. The book contains only bw photos but the prints have a pinkish color cast. I will email them and ask why. Matt
Matt Quinn

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:33 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:38 am
Charles, I just received my Mixbook but they didn't provide and electronic copy that I can share with you the way you did. How did you do it? Thanks. The book contains only bw photos but the prints have a pinkish color cast. I will email them and ask why. Matt
Try going back to your Projects page. Hover over your book's title until it highlights and click it. It will open in a preview pane. Scroll down a little bit until you see the box marked display like the one here:
Screenshot 2017-12-29 at 8.37.09 PM - Edited.png
If you copy the entire URL in the display box (I have no clue what the embed box does) you can post or send the URL to anyone you wish, or publish it here, and anyone with the URL can then get to the preview pane and view the book on a monitor. They do not have to be logged in to see it.

I am distressed that you have a color cast. They of course do everything in CMYK, but I have my physical book of Jeannie's Remembrance open alongside my monitor: The color is nailed and the B&W is neutral unless I provided a toned or hand tinted original, or unless I took something in color and converted it within Mixbook to B&W (I did that a couple of times). I don't know what equipment you use, but one of the things I'm sure is important is to have a well-calibrated monitor. I used to use nothing but Macs and I calibrated with Mac's onboard "eyeball" system, but since switching to a Windows machine I bought a Spyder 5 Elite calibration tool. That particular model is very $pendy, but I was lucky when bought it, hit a sale plus a coupon I think. I got it for under $150, which is still $pendy but nowhere near the $250 they're currently listing for. There are others in the same line that are less expensive, and a competitor called X-Rite. They're all good, but for me it's not just the accurate color I am after, it's the brightness and contrast. I calibrate every month on the first, and I run two monitors so they are both calibrated to match, although one is an older LCD so it never perfectly matches the main LED monitor, but use it to keep thumbnails visible or enlargements or something; it is never used to actually edit. Only the LED monitor is.

If you don't already have a good means of calibration I am not suggesting you need to spend the rent to get one of these tools, but I swear by mine instead of swearing at prints that don't match the monitor.

In this case, of course, your book is all B&W and clean neutral tones were what you expected. I don't know for sure but I suspect that, just as you feared, it picked up a cast owing to their printing process being CMYK but if the files had no color in them then where did it come from? My experience has long been that I never get such a cast, and I am fanatical about calibrating the monitor, but other than that I haven't paid a lot of attention. Sometimes I am sending them B&W that is already toned (Jeannie's cover shot was sepia toned). Everything I get back from them always matches my monitor. Since most if not all of your B&W is made with a camera that does not record color (??) I assume when you are processing there is no need to convert (??) 8~
Please let us see what the book should have looked like, and let's ask Duck and Ernst! This is above my pay grade. (?)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:27 pm

Charles, Thanks for the very helpful reply. No need for you to be distressed. I sent Mixbook an email last night and within an hour had a very professional reply, asking me to send them 3 or 4 files that they will use to alert their printing staff, run another book and send it to me, all without charge. I will try and get to that today, but there is housecleaning to do, etc. etc, so it may have to wait.

My iMac monitor was calibrated by a professional photographer at the Cape using a Color Monkey, I believe, but that was several years ago. I also have a monitor set-up print from Ilford that I use, but my eyesight is "compromised" I suspect since I learned a few weeks ago that I will need cataract surgery in the next few years. Last week I had trouble seeing a very fine crack in our china plate that my wife called to my attention. It took me several turns and twists in the light to see it. And I can't see detail in shadows that others can. All that, however, does not explain the color cast. I will try to take a photo of the set-up print on the cover of the book and will send it to you if it shows the difference. Asking Duck and Ernst will also help. And maybe I need to export in something other than sRGB. Duck will know. Do you?

I just took the photo using my Sony cybershot, so the file is in color; the disparity is glaring. I'll get to my iMac soon to download the photo and send it to you, Duck and Ernst.

I will also send it to Mixbook.

Can you send this message to Ernst and Duck? I don't know how to copy them and I will want them to see the photo and understand why they are receiving it. Thanks.

Wait till you see the Ent Avatar that Duck made for me. Wild and crazy me.

Matt
Matt Quinn

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:43 pm

Mixbook for Charles (2 of 2).jpg
Matt Quinn wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:27 pm
Charles, Thanks for the very helpful reply. No need for you to be distressed. I sent Mixbook an email last night and within an hour had a very professional reply, asking me to send them 3 or 4 files that they will use to alert their printing staff, run another book and send it to me, all without charge. I will try and get to that today, but there is housecleaning to do, etc. etc, so it may have to wait.

My iMac monitor was calibrated by a professional photographer at the Cape using a Color Monkey, I believe, but that was several years ago. I also have a monitor set-up print from Ilford that I use, but my eyesight is "compromised" I suspect since I learned a few weeks ago that I will need cataract surgery in the next few years. Last week I had trouble seeing a very fine crack in our china plate that my wife called to my attention. It took me several turns and twists in the light to see it. And I can't see detail in shadows that others can. All that, however, does not explain the color cast. I will try to take a photo of the set-up print on the cover of the book and will send it to you if it shows the difference. Asking Duck and Ernst will also help. And maybe I need to export in something other than sRGB. Duck will know. Do you?

I just took the photo using my Sony cybershot, so the file is in color; the disparity is glaring. I'll get to my iMac soon to download the photo and send it to you, Duck and Ernst.

I will also send it to Mixbook.

Can you send this message to Ernst and Duck? I don't know how to copy them and I will want them to see the photo and understand why they are receiving it. Thanks.

Wait till you see the Ent Avatar that Duck made for me. Wild and crazy me.

Matt
Charles, Here are two examples. Matt
Mixbook for Charles (1 of 2).jpg
Matt Quinn