General DiscussionsRecommendation for print service for photo book

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Recommendation for print service for photo book

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:00 am

I want to make a book of some of my b&w photos but most of the printing services seem to specialize in color books. Does anyone have a recommendation on a service with good experience in printing b&w photo books? Thanks. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by St3v3M » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:34 am

The hints in this post may help! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:01 pm

St3v3M wrote:The hints in this post may help! S-

Thanks Steve. I have visited all those sites and read reviews; none "specializes" in b&w, using only black ink. They all do cmyk. And I couldn't find any reviews that commented on their b&w photo books. I have written an email to the Compawssion company that Ernst recommended but have not heard back. I'll let you know what I find, if anything.

btw, any decision on Nick's essay? He has inquired .Thanks, Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:38 pm

I gotta put in another plug for Mixbook. I don't work for them (but they do offer some kind of perk for referrals through me but I don't care). I just received my shipment of books I did for the family, a paean to my late bride. You can see it and page through it here: https://www.mixbook.com/photo-books/int ... mK4wXkUjgU Be sure to click on the largest size for crisp detail.

The cover is my original sepia although they also offer toning on B&W. If you page to pages 2-3 you will see what they do with B&W. Most are "straight" from my B&W originals. A couple are "toned" using their "toning." The pages are what I think are a nice mix. The last picture on the lower left is their B&W from my color original. I could have left it color but I thought the mix looked better in almost all monochrome except for the picture on the far left, which was my bride about age 4. The original of that is a period (c. 1943) hand-tinted portrait on toned textured paper. We used to do those in our studio as late as 1993. I think the quality of the B&W is terrific, CMYK or not. :thumbup: If you keep going through you'll see lots more B&W. Personally I would not hesitate but they are your pictures!
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by St3v3M » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:47 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:btw, any decision on Nick's essay? He has inquired .Thanks, Matt

I'll check! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:52 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:I want to make a book of some of my b&w photos but most of the printing services seem to specialize in color books. Does anyone have a recommendation on a service with good experience in printing b&w photo books? Thanks. Matt

Matt, I have used Adorama in the past with great results. The last one was in B&W, I was very pleased with the end results. https://www.adoramapix.com/app/start-book/
Dave

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:24 pm

davechinn wrote:
Matt Quinn wrote:I want to make a book of some of my b&w photos but most of the printing services seem to specialize in color books. Does anyone have a recommendation on a service with good experience in printing b&w photo books? Thanks. Matt

Matt, I have used Adorama in the past with great results. The last one was in B&W, I was very pleased with the end results. https://www.adoramapix.com/app/start-book/
Dave

Thanks Dave. I was looking for someone who had experience with b&w pictures in photo books. I'll give a look there. Chuck's book blew me away, though, so Mixbook may be the place. Happy holidays. Matt
Matt Quinn

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:49 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:I gotta put in another plug for Mixbook. I don't work for them (but they do offer some kind of perk for referrals through me but I don't care). I just received my shipment of books I did for the family, a paean to my late bride. You can see it and page through it here: https://www.mixbook.com/photo-books/int ... mK4wXkUjgU Be sure to click on the largest size for crisp detail.

The cover is my original sepia although they also offer toning on B&W. If you page to pages 2-3 you will see what they do with B&W. Most are "straight" from my B&W originals. A couple are "toned" using their "toning." The pages are what I think are a nice mix. The last picture on the lower left is their B&W from my color original. I could have left it color but I thought the mix looked better in almost all monochrome except for the picture on the far left, which was my bride about age 4. The original of that is a period (c. 1943) hand-tinted portrait on toned textured paper. We used to do those in our studio as late as 1993. I think the quality of the B&W is terrific, CMYK or not. :thumbup: If you keep going through you'll see lots more B&W. Personally I would not hesitate but they are your pictures!

Chuck, There's a hole in your heart and I can see why. Beautiful lady, beautiful memories, beautiful treasure. Thank you for opening this to us. I will use Mixbook and would like to use you as the referral; how can I do that?

Strong thoughts for you and your family now. I shared your book with my wife; we had a good conversation after and because of it. Thank you for this generous gift.

Matt
Matt Quinn

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:00 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:Chuck, There's a hole in your heart and I can see why. Beautiful lady, beautiful memories, beautiful treasure. Thank you for opening this to us. I will use Mixbook and would like to use you as the referral; how can I do that?

Strong thoughts for you and your family now. I shared your book with my wife; we had a good conversation after and because of it. Thank you for this generous gift.

Matt

Matt, thanks for your sympathy and empathy. I'm told it can take a couple of years to really get back on track. Meanwhile, though, I am glad you liked the book (and the finished printed copies look exactly like it (on a well-calibrated monitor) which is another reason I like Mixbook so much). If you PM me your email I can email the invitation to you. You will get $20 bucks and also they tend to offer frequent sales, especially around holidays, up to half off depending on the dollar amount of the order. :yay:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:48 pm

Matt, I might be in a different lane than you are and I'm putting together a book myself with the hopes of having it printed by the end of 2019. I love the work that LensWork puts out and they are using https://www.hemlock.com/#!/. My book will be with about 100 pages and I will be printing about 500 copies.
Today is the Day, a New Day.