General Discussionslearning to see

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

learning to see

Post by PietFrancke » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:00 am

There are many ways that we can improve ourselves, likely one of the best is to be able to see better - that is, to easily recognize and distinguish colors, tones, textures, shapes, and who knows what else. A couple of days ago I stumbled onto a jigsaw puzzle creator program that can take your image and create a puzzle from it. It is great fun to play with, but the real fun thing is seeing your own image and the really seeing that image as it is broken into tiny and unrecognizable pieces - pieces that must be reassembled back to their original form. It surprised me how much I see in the image now...

anyway, just sharing a story and some thoughts.
seeing.jpg

buds_by_pfrancke-dbe077v.jpg

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:12 am

Really like the original image Piet, wonderful colors, great bokeh, lots of detail with a soft feel...how about a link...

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:33 am

thanks Frank,

http://www.lenagames.com/bigjig.htm BigJig is free, MakeJig costs 20 bucks. I do not know if there are better jigsaw programs out there, but there are worse!

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Psjunkie » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:16 am

understood

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:23 am

PietFrancke wrote:There are many ways that we can improve ourselves, likely one of the best is to be able to see better - that is, to easily recognize and distinguish colors, tones, textures, shapes, and who knows what else. A couple of days ago I stumbled onto a jigsaw puzzle creator program that can take your image and create a puzzle from it. It is great fun to play with, but the real fun thing is seeing your own image and the really seeing that image as it is broken into tiny and unrecognizable pieces - pieces that must be reassembled back to their original form. It surprised me how much I see in the image now...

anyway, just sharing a story and some thoughts.seeing.jpg

Piet, I have often wondered about puzzles, but was unaware of a creator program. This may be something for me to consider.

I too, like your original image and agree with Frank's comments.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:10 pm

PietFrancke wrote:There are many ways that we can improve ourselves, likely one of the best is to be able to see better - that is, to easily recognize and distinguish colors, tones, textures, shapes, and who knows what else. A couple of days ago I stumbled onto a jigsaw puzzle creator program that can take your image and create a puzzle from it. It is great fun to play with, but the real fun thing is seeing your own image and the really seeing that image as it is broken into tiny and unrecognizable pieces - pieces that must be reassembled back to their original form. It surprised me how much I see in the image now...

anyway, just sharing a story and some thoughts.seeing.jpg

That is an interesting use of the jigsaw approach - helping us see the components in our pictures.

I've never used an online program to create a puzzle, but I do, every Christmas, get one of my photos from our travels made into a 500 piece jigsaw puzzle for a gift for my husband.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:26 pm

thank you Dave and Minnie, I was just looking for some brain-dead relaxing time and realized that while sorting the pieces, you have to use observation skills. I never knew that you could get a photo printed/cut as a jigsaw... that sounds very interesting. They would make fantastic gifts.

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:56 pm

PietFrancke wrote:... It surprised me how much I see in the image now...
What a interesting exercise! Especially if you were confronted with real pieces, such as Minnie's mention of 500. Thanks for a fascinating topic, Piet.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:46 pm

hi Linda, yeah, the world is changing and it is hard to keep up (speaking for myself). We can personalize much of what used to be "one size fits all".

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:39 am

I have often wondered about making a puzzle out of one of my images but wouldn't have thought to use it to learn to see. I'm going to give it a go!

- May I add some other advice I've learned to learn to see or would it be better to start a new post? S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"