“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” —Vince Lombardi

Forum software has been updated to latest version. Please report any issues you may encounter. - Thanks

General DiscussionsWhat are your 2018 resolutions

User avatar
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 2082
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:31 am
Location: Shelton, CT
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

What are your 2018 resolutions

Post by Duck » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:15 pm

New Year resolutions have become an annual running joke with many people simply because we know they never get kept.

I had read that the secret to keeping a New Year resolution is to make them realistically obtainable. Don't say you're resolution is to, "make a million dollars," when you know you can only pull 40,000 a year. Or, "see the world," when the reality is you probably won't even leave the state. Those aren't resolutions, just pipe dreams.

The funny thing is, even when I try making smaller, more realistic resolutions it seems life interferes and those resolutions get shuffled lower in the deck of cards life hands you. Last year my resolution was to get my portfolio in ship shape in order to start marketing myself more aggressively. I completed the first part but found the second part much more difficult to accomplish. Emotions and the reality of making a living overshadowed many of my goals. In hindsight I know much of that was my own (un)doing. So my goal this year is to take a serious look at my situation, make a decision as to what to do with my established business and what to do with my growing business. The two, it seems, have a difficult time coexisting at the same time. One has to give.

On a smaller scale, I have made a punch list of easily accessible tasks; go tent camping with the grandkids in the backyard, definitely get outdoors more with my camera and get out more with the Jeep. I'm sure others will pop up as time moves forward.

So, what are your New Year resolutions?
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImageImage

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1898
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:30 pm

Ambitious, but...

1. Keep the dam birds going - new pictures, new display opportunities, and somehow figure out how to make money from them!
2. Open a small gallery in my new/old house by summer 2018
3. Learn how to use social media more effectively for the marketing of pM and for my own artwork
4. Apply for at least one additional grant to pursue my photography
5. Photoshoot with at least 2 online friends somewhere
6. Teach at least one grandkid to use a camera
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
Matt Quinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1012
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:12 pm
Location: MD in winter: Cape Cod in summer
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Matt Quinn » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:36 am

Duck wrote:New Year resolutions have become an annual running joke with many people simply because we know they never get kept.

I had read that the secret to keeping a New Year resolution is to make them realistically obtainable. Don't say you're resolution is to, "make a million dollars," when you know you can only pull 40,000 a year. Or, "see the world," when the reality is you probably won't even leave the state. Those aren't resolutions, just pipe dreams.

The funny thing is, even when I try making smaller, more realistic resolutions it seems life interferes and those resolutions get shuffled lower in the deck of cards life hands you. Last year my resolution was to get my portfolio in ship shape in order to start marketing myself more aggressively. I completed the first part but found the second part much more difficult to accomplish. Emotions and the reality of making a living overshadowed many of my goals. In hindsight I know much of that was my own (un)doing. So my goal this year is to take a serious look at my situation, make a decision as to what to do with my established business and what to do with my growing business. The two, it seems, have a difficult time coexisting at the same time. One has to give.

On a smaller scale, I have made a punch list of easily accessible tasks; go tent camping with the grandkids in the backyard, definitely get outdoors more with my camera and get out more with the Jeep. I'm sure others will pop up as time moves forward.

So, what are your New Year resolutions?


I rarely make New Year's goals. My general ones are: eat less, exercise more, find fault in others less, applaud more, shower and shave every day, get regular haircuts, wear clean socks, pick up, make the breakfast, wash dishes, say thank you often, be polite to people who answer the phone when I call to complain because they only answer the phone, nod and smile at folks who make eye contact, pet dogs, avoid cats, pay bills on time, vote, go to church, thank the preacher afterwards, sing, dance with my wife, keep the car maintained, the lawn mowed, the shrubs low, tell the family often that I love them individually and together, don't overspend, do what the doctor orders. And, for next year, make better b&w photos. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

User avatar
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 2082
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:31 am
Location: Shelton, CT
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by Duck » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:56 am

Small, reachable goals is the way to go, Minnie.

A lot of great goals, Matt. Goals each of us should adopt as well.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImageImage

User avatar
PietFrancke
Mentoris Praefectus
Mentoris Praefectus
Posts: 411
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:38 pm
Location: WV
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by PietFrancke » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:29 pm

my goal... keep lists. This is a skill my wife has - but I don't. Bottom line, if something is measureable - and measured, then, and only then, is it attainable.

With a list, it must be reviewed, updated, marked, kept alive. This way if the general goal is "get out more with the jeep", the specific goal might be "get out with the jeep 12 times this year". Then each time you go out, the list gets a tick. It is self rewarding, it feels good when the tick is made. Goals can change, but by keeping a list, it makes you think, prioritize, be organized, etc. It provides a level of accountability!

Also, it allows difficult ambiguous tasks to be broken down into smaller pieces. If the list is reviewed and progress on a given item isn't being made, then it is time to break it down into smaller steps.

User avatar
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 2082
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:31 am
Location: Shelton, CT
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by Duck » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:41 pm

PietFrancke wrote:my goal... keep lists. [...]

Good advice. I struggle with keeping on track sometimes and very often forget the power of lists.

New Year's resolution #57; keep better lists. (OK)
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImageImage

User avatar
John N
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:50 pm
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by John N » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:52 pm

The ones from this year which I didn't keep (basically, all of them), which in themselves were a repeat of those I didn't keep in 2016, which in them......................

User avatar
rmalarz
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion
Posts: 339
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:28 pm
Location: Arizona
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by rmalarz » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:09 am

1. Shoot more film and continue to improve my photography, digital or film.
2. Live to see 2019.
--Bob
There is no CTRL-Z in the wet.

User avatar
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1305
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 7:20 pm
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Charles Haacker » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:12 pm

In 2018 I resolve to continue my lifetime resolution of never making resolutions. (N) :D
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

User avatar
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 2082
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:31 am
Location: Shelton, CT
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by Duck » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:26 pm

John N wrote:The ones from this year which I didn't keep (basically, all of them), which in themselves were a repeat of those I didn't keep in 2016, which in them......................

Yep, the all too familiar New Year's resolution tradition. ;)

rmalarz wrote:1. Shoot more film and continue to improve my photography, digital or film.
2. Live to see 2019.
--Bob

Ah, film... yes. I should add that to my list.

Charles Haacker wrote:In 2018 I resolve to continue my lifetime resolution of never making resolutions. (N) :D

I think you're one of the few who can actually claim to succeed in keep your resolutions. :lol:
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImageImage

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests