Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

General Discussionsnotes from a newbie

Open Forum - This is the official "any-topic" portion of the site. Stop in, say "hello", comment on photo or non-photo related topics, vent your frustrations or just chill out. The choice is yours.
Phil Y
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

notes from a newbie

Post by Phil Y »

AAA_8243 Gt Gry Owl BC.jpg
Hello, my name is Phil and I’ve had my eye on pM for a few weeks, I've made a comment or two but haven’t introduced myself. Thanks for this topic Minniev . http://photomentoris.com/viewtopic.php?f=85&t=2450. It is interesting and very helpful to hear this history and some personal backstories of pM membership. I followed Linda Shorey here a couple of months ago and have been spending some pleasant time getting a sense of this new place. I am happily familiar with many of the folks here from my participation in another photo forum. My experience with social media in general and specialized forums is limited but I have learned the necessity of developing filters to separate out the foolish, time-wasting behavior of trolls and mean-spirited people. I have seen none of that here and I sense a commitment to keeping it that way. Steve’s effort to maintain a civil environment in his section of that other forum was admirable and reason enough to give pM serious consideration.
I have a long-time interest in photography. In the 60’s and 70’s I shot and processed hundreds of feet of Tri-X, did my own dark room work and greatly valued the time I spent learning, developing a skill set and trying to see and understand light. Photography has always been an avocation and, like many of us, life (the full catastrophe!) took priority for about 30 years but I have been happily stumbling along the digital photography learning curve for the past 6 years. As in all life learning, my digital photo education has been greatly assisted by paying attention and listening to those who are ahead of me on the path.
Nature photography is my primary interest. I’m a lifelong birder and it has been a joy to discover how useful and complimentary photography can be to that interest. I am more competent at bird ID and far more appreciative of the detail of their complex beauty as a result of building my collection of documentary photos. In a similar way landscape photography compliments my interest in geology.
I have seen a lot of very fine work and thoughtful discussion here. I’m looking forward to spending more time.
"...beauty and grace are performed whether or not we will or sense them, the least we can do is try to be there" Annie Dillard

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by LindaShorey »

Phil, it's great to see you. Your intro is a wonderfully rich mini-bio that I enjoyed tremendously. The owl portrait is jaw-dropping beautiful! Welcome to this small (hopefully growing) family!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by minniev »

We have a fine mix of old school film photographers and digital-only folks, and both. We share photos from lots of different genres, with lots of different approaches. We're honest but we're courteous, and we mean for it to stay that way. PM is not the Wild West like many forums, it is more like a small town where everybody knows everybody, and despite our diversity, peace prevails. Join in, share your images, and talk talk talk. Make yourself at home!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker »

Hi, Phil! Another refugee from "The-Site-That-Must-Not-Be-Named." 8): :rofl: Welcome to a clean, well lighted place of peace. So far. :D
[font=cursive]Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)[/font]
[font=Arial Black]All the great photographers use cameras![/font] No, really. :|

Bob Yankle
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by Bob Yankle »

Welcome to the road less traveled Phil. I suspect your ability to identify birds might be called upon once or twice in the coming months. Do you have a friend who does flowers?

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by Duck »

Welcome Phil. I am beginning to feel that photoMENTORIS is becoming the go to place for refugees from other forums. That's all right by me as this was the reason for its creation in the first place. Sad to hear there are now two separate other forums people are dissatisfied with but also glad you found a new place to hopefully call home.

Since you already know a bunch of our more active members here you are equally aware of the good company you are joining. Again, welcome and we look forward to seeing your images here. If this owl is any indication of your work, then we are all in for a treat. Simply amazing.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Facebook : Unitas Photography
Instagram : @unitasphotography
Tutorials ⇒ How to critique photos
NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

Phil Y
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus

Post by Phil Y »

LindaShorey wrote:Phil, it's great to see you. Your intro is a wonderfully rich mini-bio that I enjoyed tremendously. The owl portrait is jaw-dropping beautiful! Welcome to this small (hopefully growing) family!

Thanks Linda, glad to be here.
"...beauty and grace are performed whether or not we will or sense them, the least we can do is try to be there" Annie Dillard

Phil Y
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus

Post by Phil Y »

minniev wrote:We have a fine mix of old school film photographers and digital-only folks, and both. We share photos from lots of different genres, with lots of different approaches. We're honest but we're courteous, and we mean for it to stay that way. PM is not the Wild West like many forums, it is more like a small town where everybody knows everybody, and despite our diversity, peace prevails. Join in, share your images, and talk talk talk. Make yourself at home!

Thank you minniev, it is the small town, with so many familiar faces, aspect that has drawn me here. I appreciate your encouragement. I have a tendency to be more of a listener than a talker but I look forward to more active participation hear.

Phil Y
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus

Post by Phil Y »

Charles Haacker wrote:Hi, Phil! Another refugee from "The-Site-That-Must-Not-Be-Named." 8): :rofl: Welcome to a clean, well lighted place of peace. So far. :D

Hi Chuck, I'm very happy to be back in contact with your good natured humor and thoughtful commentary. I like your work and the way you see things in...you know, life and stuff.

Phil Y
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus

Post by Phil Y »

Bob Yankle wrote:Welcome to the road less traveled Phil. I suspect your ability to identify birds might be called upon once or twice in the coming months. Do you have a friend who does flowers?

Thank you Bob, good to see you.