"Sometimes imagination is no more than randomness applied." —Piet Francke

General DiscussionsHi Everyone

User avatar
PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1501
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:38 pm
Location: WV
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Hi Everyone

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:36 pm

I will make this about ME, since I don't know you guys yet. I know a handful of you guys, you know who you are! I promise most of me won't be about ME.

I am a hobbyist that is drawn in multiple directions. I am a slow learner, but with persistence I usually end up getting somewhere (perhaps not where I wanted to be). I circle, leave and return. I'm retired, but went back to work and take off many days. Life is good and I find it very easy to entertain myself.

My best success (something that I did that turned out well - satisfied me) was going on vacation with my best friend (my wife) and taking a picture of a juvenile eagle in Washington state. I took that image and made islands of vectors and took those vectors to a CNC machine and carved out pieces that were then glued back together. Round and round I go learning new things but always being very stupid about so much that I don't know.

I hope I live a long time, I have so much more playing that I wish to do! Anyway, I look forward to getting to know you guys and I will spend much quality time here learning more.

p1.jpg
the juvenile eagle

p2.jpg
drawing the vectors

p3.jpg
the result

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Posts: 4220
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:57 pm

Welcome, Piet, I know you have lots to offer as a member, so I'm glad to see you here and hope you'll hang around. You'll find familiar faces and new ones too.

I love your eagle in all his forms, and am intrigued with the way you combine woodworking with photography.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1501
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:38 pm
Location: WV
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:08 pm

Hi Minnie, thank you so much for your welcome. Hey, I have a question, this is probably a color space issue of my own creation. On this thread, the first two images, the full eagle and the image with vectors drawn on it - both images have a horrible red cast when seen on this page. The third image looks ok (I think), but will look closer side by side via Photoshop and as Firefox presents the image. But for sure, the first and second have a significant red cast to them for some reason that I don't see when looking at them within Photoshop.

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Posts: 4220
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:46 pm

PietFrancke wrote:Hi Minnie, thank you so much for your welcome. Hey, I have a question, this is probably a color space issue of my own creation. On this thread, the first two images, the full eagle and the image with vectors drawn on it - both images have a horrible red cast when seen on this page. The third image looks ok (I think), but will look closer side by side via Photoshop and as Firefox presents the image. But for sure, the first and second have a significant red cast to them for some reason that I don't see when looking at them within Photoshop.



Though Duck is the best at figuring technical stuff here, I'll ask my usual questions: did you export the image from photoshop in sRGB color space? Did you preview it before you submitted it? Did the preview have the same color cast as the posted image?

Edit - I ran the eagle through an exif viewer and it claims it was exported in ProPhoto color space, a guarantee for disaster on most forums. Almost every time I've had a crazy looking post, it turns out I exported in Pro Photo. I work in Pro Photo but if I forget to export in sRGB I get horrible surprises. If it's any comfort, I did that with my first post on UHH and turned sunrise at Mesa Arch into a lurid green.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 4482
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am
Location: 35,000 feet
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by St3v3M » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:49 pm

PietFrancke wrote:...
I hope I live a long time, I have so much more playing that I wish to do! Anyway, I look forward to getting to know you guys and I will spend much quality time here learning more.

Hey Piet, it's wonderful to see you here and you already fit right in!

Your story made me laugh but brought to light that so many of us wander until we find where we belong. Our path is individual and each one important!

Your eagle is amazing, but I have to say your woodwork and the imagination it took to get there even more impressive. I'd like to see more.

Speaking of more you might be interested in learning how all of this came to be - Why I Live At PM (photoMentoris) - add your story

Take your time to get oriented, let us know if you have any questions, and Welcome Home! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

User avatar
davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1663
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Ky
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by davechinn » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:16 pm

PietFrancke wrote:I will make this about ME, since I don't know you guys yet. I know a handful of you guys, you know who you are! I promise most of me won't be about ME.

I am a hobbyist that is drawn in multiple directions. I am a slow learner, but with persistence I usually end up getting somewhere (perhaps not where I wanted to be). I circle, leave and return. I'm retired, but went back to work and take off many days. Life is good and I find it very easy to entertain myself.

My best success (something that I did that turned out well - satisfied me) was going on vacation with my best friend (my wife) and taking a picture of a juvenile eagle in Washington state. I took that image and made islands of vectors and took those vectors to a CNC machine and carved out pieces that were then glued back together. Round and round I go learning new things but always being very stupid about so much that I don't know.

I hope I live a long time, I have so much more playing that I wish to do! Anyway, I look forward to getting to know you guys and I will spend much quality time here learning more.

p1.jpg
p2.jpg
p3.jpg



Welcome Piet !!! Glad to see you here. You and I have at least one thing in common .... I too, am a slow learner. Have been for years and just now admitting it to myself. I think once you get use to the navigation system you'll enjoy it here. Looking forward to seeing more of your work. The wood work on the eagle is fantastic. I wish I had the knowledge and patience to tackle something of that nature.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

User avatar
Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Posts: 2015
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:20 am
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by Psjunkie » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:24 pm

Welcome Piet, good to see you show up here....

User avatar
Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 1025
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:17 pm
Location: Port Angeleeeeeeees, WA
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:03 am

Welcome Piet, Glad to see you joining us. Your wood piece of that eagle is quite nice. Ernst
Today is the Day, a New Day.

User avatar
LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1398
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:50 am
Location: Yakima, WA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:38 am

Great to see you, Piet!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

User avatar
PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1501
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:38 pm
Location: WV
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by PietFrancke » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:50 pm

OMG, thank you guys for this wonderful welcome! Thank you for spotting that issue with the color space, the good news is that my computer crashed a month or so ago, so now I am running with defaults. Might get set up for sRGB instead of RGB, BUT I will henceforth stay away from PhotoPro color space.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest