“It is better to inspire than direct." —Sheryl Sandberg

Idle ChitchatHi Everyone

General Lounge - This is the official "any-topic" portion of the site. Stop in, say "hello", comment on photo or non-photo related topics, vent your frustrations or just chill out. The choice is yours.
PietFrancke
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Hi Everyone

Postby PietFrancke » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:36 pm

I will make this about ME, since I don't know you guys yet. I know a handful of you guys, you know who you are! I promise most of me won't be about ME.

I am a hobbyist that is drawn in multiple directions. I am a slow learner, but with persistence I usually end up getting somewhere (perhaps not where I wanted to be). I circle, leave and return. I'm retired, but went back to work and take off many days. Life is good and I find it very easy to entertain myself.

My best success (something that I did that turned out well - satisfied me) was going on vacation with my best friend (my wife) and taking a picture of a juvenile eagle in Washington state. I took that image and made islands of vectors and took those vectors to a CNC machine and carved out pieces that were then glued back together. Round and round I go learning new things but always being very stupid about so much that I don't know.

I hope I live a long time, I have so much more playing that I wish to do! Anyway, I look forward to getting to know you guys and I will spend much quality time here learning more.

p1.jpg
the juvenile eagle

p2.jpg
drawing the vectors

p3.jpg
the result

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Re: Hi Everyone

Postby minniev » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:57 pm

Welcome, Piet, I know you have lots to offer as a member, so I'm glad to see you here and hope you'll hang around. You'll find familiar faces and new ones too.

I love your eagle in all his forms, and am intrigued with the way you combine woodworking with photography.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion

Postby PietFrancke » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:08 pm

Hi Minnie, thank you so much for your welcome. Hey, I have a question, this is probably a color space issue of my own creation. On this thread, the first two images, the full eagle and the image with vectors drawn on it - both images have a horrible red cast when seen on this page. The third image looks ok (I think), but will look closer side by side via Photoshop and as Firefox presents the image. But for sure, the first and second have a significant red cast to them for some reason that I don't see when looking at them within Photoshop.

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby minniev » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:46 pm

PietFrancke wrote:Hi Minnie, thank you so much for your welcome. Hey, I have a question, this is probably a color space issue of my own creation. On this thread, the first two images, the full eagle and the image with vectors drawn on it - both images have a horrible red cast when seen on this page. The third image looks ok (I think), but will look closer side by side via Photoshop and as Firefox presents the image. But for sure, the first and second have a significant red cast to them for some reason that I don't see when looking at them within Photoshop.

Though Duck is the best at figuring technical stuff here, I'll ask my usual questions: did you export the image from photoshop in sRGB color space? Did you preview it before you submitted it? Did the preview have the same color cast as the posted image?

Edit - I ran the eagle through an exif viewer and it claims it was exported in ProPhoto color space, a guarantee for disaster on most forums. Almost every time I've had a crazy looking post, it turns out I exported in Pro Photo. I work in Pro Photo but if I forget to export in sRGB I get horrible surprises. If it's any comfort, I did that with my first post on UHH and turned sunrise at Mesa Arch into a lurid green.
Last edited by minniev on Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:49 pm

PietFrancke wrote:...
I hope I live a long time, I have so much more playing that I wish to do! Anyway, I look forward to getting to know you guys and I will spend much quality time here learning more.

Hey Piet, it's wonderful to see you here and you already fit right in!

Your story made me laugh but brought to light that so many of us wander until we find where we belong. Our path is individual and each one important!

Your eagle is amazing, but I have to say your woodwork and the imagination it took to get there even more impressive. I'd like to see more.

Speaking of more you might be interested in learning how all of this came to be - Why I Live At PM (photoMentoris) - add your story

Take your time to get oriented, let us know if you have any questions, and Welcome Home! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby davechinn » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:16 pm

PietFrancke wrote:I will make this about ME, since I don't know you guys yet. I know a handful of you guys, you know who you are! I promise most of me won't be about ME.

I am a hobbyist that is drawn in multiple directions. I am a slow learner, but with persistence I usually end up getting somewhere (perhaps not where I wanted to be). I circle, leave and return. I'm retired, but went back to work and take off many days. Life is good and I find it very easy to entertain myself.

My best success (something that I did that turned out well - satisfied me) was going on vacation with my best friend (my wife) and taking a picture of a juvenile eagle in Washington state. I took that image and made islands of vectors and took those vectors to a CNC machine and carved out pieces that were then glued back together. Round and round I go learning new things but always being very stupid about so much that I don't know.

p1.jpg
p2.jpg
p3.jpg

Welcome Piet !!! Glad to see you here. You and I have at least one thing in common .... I too, am a slow learner. Have been for years and just now admitting it to myself. I think once you get use to the navigation system you'll enjoy it here. Looking forward to seeing more of your work. The wood work on the eagle is fantastic. I wish I had the knowledge and patience to tackle something of that nature.
Dave

Psjunkie
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Postby Psjunkie » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:24 pm

Welcome Piet, good to see you show up here....

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:03 am

Welcome Piet, Glad to see you joining us. Your wood piece of that eagle is quite nice. Ernst
Today is the Day, a New Day.

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Postby LindaShorey » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:38 am

Great to see you, Piet!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

PietFrancke
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion

Postby PietFrancke » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:50 pm

OMG, thank you guys for this wonderful welcome! Thank you for spotting that issue with the color space, the good news is that my computer crashed a month or so ago, so now I am running with defaults. Might get set up for sRGB instead of RGB, BUT I will henceforth stay away from PhotoPro color space.

Return to “Idle Chitchat”