"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

General DiscussionsWhy I Live At PM (photoMentoris) - add your story

Open Forum - This is the official "any-topic" portion of the site. Stop in, say "hello", comment on photo or non-photo related topics, vent your frustrations or just chill out. The choice is yours.
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Why I Live At PM (photoMentoris) - add your story

Postby Duck » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:57 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:It has been a real pleasure reading other folks’ stories...

[...] Raw ROCKS! Lightroom ROCKS. So does Photoshop, but I always begin in LR and only go to PS for things that Lightroom can't do at all, or does less well.

It didn't take me too much convincing to switch to raw as I saw the limitation of jpeg quite early, even from my design days. As for Lightroom... I agree with your sentiments, it ROCKS! (been using it since version 3) Like you I also do the majority of work in LR and move to PS when needed. I hope to produce some LR tutorials soon so if there's any special requests, let me know.

Charles Haacker wrote:[...] I am somewhat sensitive, and just before Christmas I lost my bride of 46+ years so that’s why I drop completely out sometimes: I get in a pretty deep hole. I’m pretty good right now, as in today, and having other folks to talk to is good, but flame wars and trolls are not good. Minnie and Linda and Steve invited me to check out photoMENTORIS (you've no doubt noticed there’s a lotta ‘hog refugees over here). I like the peace! I try to stay involved but sometimes I back into the hole. I guess it’ll get better eventually. Meanwhile, that’s my long story and I’m stickin’ to it. :cheers:

Yes, we do share more in common than you think. I too suffer from depression (have all my life and likely started with the loss of my dad at age 4) and know full well how much it sux to sink into a gloomy mood. Usually when I start getting into a slump I'll do something outrageous to change my 'situation', either go on a short trip, try something new, or hang out with a different crowd for a while. Anything to change the daily pattern that can add to the depression. I'm about due for a break soon. ;)
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImageImage

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Charles Haacker » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:56 pm

Duck wrote:
Charles Haacker wrote:It has been a real pleasure reading other folks’ stories...

[...] Raw ROCKS! Lightroom ROCKS. So does Photoshop, but I always begin in LR and only go to PS for things that Lightroom can't do at all, or does less well.

It didn't take me too much convincing to switch to raw as I saw the limitation of jpeg quite early, even from my design days. As for Lightroom... I agree with your sentiments, it ROCKS! (been using it since version 3) Like you I also do the majority of work in LR and move to PS when needed. I hope to produce some LR tutorials soon so if there's any special requests, let me know.

Charles Haacker wrote:[...] I am somewhat sensitive, and just before Christmas I lost my bride of 46+ years so that’s why I drop completely out sometimes: I get in a pretty deep hole. I’m pretty good right now, as in today, and having other folks to talk to is good, but flame wars and trolls are not good. Minnie and Linda and Steve invited me to check out photoMENTORIS (you've no doubt noticed there’s a lotta ‘hog refugees over here). I like the peace! I try to stay involved but sometimes I back into the hole. I guess it’ll get better eventually. Meanwhile, that’s my long story and I’m stickin’ to it. :cheers:

Yes, we do share more in common than you think. I too suffer from depression (have all my life and likely started with the loss of my dad at age 4) and know full well how much it sux to sink into a gloomy mood. Usually when I start getting into a slump I'll do something outrageous to change my 'situation', either go on a short trip, try something new, or hang out with a different crowd for a while. Anything to change the daily pattern that can add to the depression. I'm about due for a break soon. ;)

Small-more-in-common-world... My dad died when I was 10. I very much appreciate your empathy!

I've never really tried any apps other than Adobe. I know they have competition, and detractors :devil: , but I started with PS Elements and stayed with it until early 2015 (I think it was) when I decided I needed to go all in and subscribed to CC. I know a lot of folks are leery of the subscription idea but so far I am more than content. Once I started to get truly comfortable with Lightroom I was all, HOW did EVER manage without this??!! I think I learn a new thing about photography in general every day, and I appreciate any and all tutorials so toot away. :D
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Bob Yankle
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Postby Bob Yankle » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:40 pm

Like many of the folks here, I started my habituation in Photography forums at UHH. Matt Quinn told me about photoMENTORIS so I thought I'd come over for a look. I like what I see. I also agree with the underlying philosophy of this board, as it is something I tried to foster in "The Exploration of Digital Artistry" forum at UHH, closely monitoring traffic to prevent the trolls from having their day.

I love experimenting with many different genres of photography and have worked through many an exercise, trying to master things like HDR, Photo-stitching (Panoramas), Photo Stacking, B&W conversions, and Sketch-work. I have a full toolbox and spend lots of money on software, although lately, I'm hesitant to upgrade too far. I'm perfectly happy with the muscle memory I have developed over time.

One thing I love to do is collaborate with other photographers, using their original images to produce artwork that is a bit off the beaten t path. By permission of the OPs, I wanted to share a few of them with you. These are from current members here, minniev, Piet Francke and Carol W. Each one is attributed by the labels in the file comments at the bottom left of each image.
Attachments
Minniev_Ram'sHorn_photoMentoris.jpg
minniev, Big Horn Ram, entitled "Mythos"
PietFrancke_BirdInAGlassCage_fotoblur.jpg
Piet Francke, "Bird Under Glass"
CarolWilson_Anhinga_DarthPerilous_fotoblur.jpg
Carol W, an Anhinga I titled "Darth Perilous"
Last edited by Bob Yankle on Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby St3v3M » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:51 pm

Bob Yankle wrote:...
One thing I love to do is collaborate with other photographers, using their original images to produce artwork that a bit off the straight path. By permission of the OPs, I wanted to share a few of them with you.

It's wonderful to have you here and hope more will follow! We're a small group but dedicated to helping one another even when it means giving a push.

I'm so confused by the first I love it. I know what it should be, can't find it so I keep looking, it's almost like looking through the shadows! The second is surreal, like a space fantasy or something like it. I get the impression it was a bunch of branches or a leaf, but whatever it was what it is now is great! The third is my favorite though and really shows how you can make are out of something realistic. It's not quite a photo, not quite a painting, and it's beautiful!

I love these and hope you continue with this art form your working on. Maybe you'll share the Hows with us too, in time! Thank you so much! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “General Discussions”