General DiscussionsPhotography Challenge: the Game

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Photography Challenge: the Game

Post by Duck » Wed May 31, 2017 7:02 pm

I run a Meetup group for amateur photographers and I'm always looking for something that is both instructional but fun to do. These types of events seem to get better responses than straightforward workshops. I posted a fun group event that I thought I'd see about developing into a full fledged game. While still in development, here's how it goes...

Photohunt Challenge Title.jpg
Card back
Photohunt Challenge Title.jpg (159.82 KiB) Viewed 855 times

This is a rounds based game. Game rules are adjustable but should be decided on before game starts. Game ends after a certain time period or after a certain number of rounds.

BASIC RULES:
  • Each round last between 10 to 20 minutes.
  • Challenge cards are shuffled and fanned out face down.
  • Each player draws one challenge card from the deck.
  • A card can be traded with another player or with the deck only once per round per player.
  • Each player must find and photograph what is on the challenge card within set time limit.
  • At end of that time players reconvene to share notes and draw a new challenge card.
  • If points are awarded use the point counters on card to keep a tally.
  • If a card suggests a bonus point, and the player qualifies, add one point to score.
  • Used cards do not get reshuffled until there are no more cards left to draw from.
  • Once reshuffled, if a player draws the same card played earlier they get an automatic redraw.
  • Repeat rounds until game ends.

ALTERNATE GAMEPLAY:
  • No Redraw; Once the initial cards are drawn no new cards can be pulled from the deck. A new round starts by all members passing their card to the next player. In the end all players have attempted the same challenges.
  • Flash Round; Instead of the 10 to 20 minute round time each player has only 5 minutes to complete their challenge. Flash rounds can be done at any time.
  • Relay Race; Players are split into equal numbered groups. First player draws one card and runs out to complete that challenge. Once captured, that player returns and 'tags' the next player who then draws the next card. The team that finishes first wins.

Photohunt Challenge Game.jpg
Sample cards in development

The above image is a screen capture of some of the cards in development. Images used are currently ripped from the internet and are being used as temporary placeholders. I will be replacing them with my own images, so bear that in mind. I'm sure these cards can also work by individuals to spur the imagination or break out of a rut. So far I have about 72 cards planned with a few more possible.

What are your thoughts? Any suggestions or ideas? What other photography based games have you played?
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Wed May 31, 2017 8:00 pm

That sounds like a lot of fun, and a great way to learn and collaborate.

Some other possibilities - shadows, natural frame, long exposure, a stranger, movement, light, symmetry

This is the sort of thing I'd enjoy if I were in some sort of club or group (which doesn't exist here).

Is there any way to adapt it to online? I played in one fun online game that was ongoing for several years and had thought of trying to host it. Photo dominoes. From one starter image, each person posting has to use some element from the photo posted before - color, subject, shape, location, but trying to be as creative as possible in choosing. So, a picture of a tomato might lead to a woman in a red-orange dress which might lead to a picture of a little girl on a swing which might lead to an empty school playground, etc etc.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Wed May 31, 2017 8:02 pm

Here's a screenshot of the test cards I initially designed for the meetup. They're simple drawings I'm doing in the meantime while I develop the fancier set. Thought I'd share the process.
Photohunt Challenge Test Cards.jpg

P.S. You can see my list of cards on the side.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Wed May 31, 2017 8:06 pm

minniev wrote:That sounds like a lot of fun, and a great way to learn and collaborate.

Some other possibilities - shadows, natural frame, long exposure, a stranger, movement, light, symmetry

This is the sort of thing I'd enjoy if I were in some sort of club or group (which doesn't exist here).

Is there any way to adapt it to online? I played in one fun online game that was ongoing for several years and had thought of trying to host it. Photo dominoes. From one starter image, each person posting has to use some element from the photo posted before - color, subject, shape, location, but trying to be as creative as possible in choosing. So, a picture of a tomato might lead to a woman in a red-orange dress which might lead to a picture of a little girl on a swing which might lead to an empty school playground, etc etc.

Steve and I have discussed doing games here on the forum, but without a more active membership it just becomes the same people playing (or not) and it rather deflates the sails, as they say. There are some really cool ideas on the back burner though and your's will be added to the queue.

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by Didereaux » Wed May 31, 2017 8:23 pm

I can't picture us seniors running madly about for 20 minutes getting a certain shot....fact is I can't imagine me running madly about period! I like the idea but your time frames seem to be out of synch with the tasks. How about this?
1. Each individual takes 5 cards from the stack. then they replace them shuffle and the next takes 5 cards. (they write down what each is that they drew) Then you give them a half hour to get as many of the shots as they can, and get back to the meet up.

OR You teams and each member draws a card. The team then has 1 hour to complete the cards. If a member cannot get their shot another member can help BUT only if they have completed their own first.

If this is a meet-up around lunch time I would suggest one session before lunch using a set of cards but having to do them inside of somewhere. and the after lunch one has to be outside, on the street, in the park or some such. In other words the locale of the assignments is changed.

Also be careful about assigning things that are not possible with certain cameras i.e. you 'zoom' effect I do not believe that is possible on even high end P&S's let alone the more or less auto ones.

Another pre-requisite might be that all shots have to be made with say a 50mm lens (since almost everyone has one of those.

Just some thoughts, but as I said at the first the time frames need to be carefully looked at as well as what is possible with certain cameras.
-------------------------------
??? How do you view the images of all the contestants? Who judges? Does the winner get a free beverage with their lunch? ;)
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Wed May 31, 2017 8:44 pm

Didereaux wrote:I can't picture us seniors running madly about for 20 minutes getting a certain shot....fact is I can't imagine me running madly about period! I like the idea but your time frames seem to be out of synch with the tasks.

I'm still working it out, as I mentioned, but the overall intention of the game is to push some limits rather than have people doing their same old routine to complete a task. The other thing I want to stress is that people can make up their own rules with these cards. There is enough flexibility for so much exploration using the cards as a springboard.

Didereaux wrote:1. Each individual takes 5 cards from the stack. then they replace them shuffle and the next takes 5 cards[...]

It's easier for people to just carry the cards with them.

Didereaux wrote:OR You teams and each member draws a card. The team then has 1 hour to complete the cards.

Nice alternative. I'll have to add that to the rules. Thanks for the input.

Didereaux wrote:[...]Also be careful about assigning things that are not possible with certain cameras i.e. you 'zoom' effect I do not believe that is possible on even high end P&S's let alone the more or less auto ones[...]

As I write these up I am trying to keep this as generic as possible. The zoom thing is a bit specific but in the writeup I also mention spinning the camera as an alternative. I try to imagine how people would accomplish these with a large camera and a cell phone camera just to keep it in perspective.

Didereaux wrote:??? How do you view the images of all the contestants? Who judges? Does the winner get a free beverage with their lunch? ;)

This is up to the individual groups. For me the answer is simple. I'll be inviting all the players to post here on photoMentoris. I'll set up a thread just for this event and everyone will be able to view, compare and comment on each other's images.

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Wed May 31, 2017 9:59 pm

Duck wrote:
minniev wrote:That sounds like a lot of fun, and a great way to learn and collaborate.

Steve and I have discussed doing games here on the forum, but without a more active membership it just becomes the same people playing (or not) and it rather deflates the sails, as they say. There are some really cool ideas on the back burner though and your's will be added to the queue.

I agree it needs to wait till we're bigger, but I'm already thinking towards that time.

The biggest game right now is catching new members and getting them involved.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:32 am

I've been working at writing the little blurbs for these cards and trying to keep it broad and open to interpretation. This got me thinking about the actual graphics for the cards... For my test cards I am simply doing quick line drawings (just to get the set completed for the test run). Eventually I want to replace them with actual photographs. My thinking being this is a photography game so it should contain photos. However, I am having second thoughts as I write these blurbs. If I don't want the words to influence the type of image players go out to find, wouldn't the use of photos do the same? The alternative would be for me to create some simple, indescript and generic illustrations. For one, I can do this a lot easier than trying to collect enough photos for the set (I'm thinking two decks worth of 104 cards). Two, because they are illustrations it would create a mental separation that wouldn't influence players as readily as a photo. I just don't want people to see the photo on the card and feel they need to replicate it, or get some variation of it. After all, the object of the game is to stimulate the creative process.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated on this.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:23 am

Bumping this topic and asking for some more feedback as I am looking to move forward on this project.
Your help is appreciated. Specially those of you belonging to camera clubs.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:14 am

Duck wrote:Bumping this topic and asking for some more feedback as I am looking to move forward on this project.
Your help is appreciated. Specially those of you belonging to camera clubs.

Let's keep recruiting and get this going! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"