"The more we study, the more we discover our ignorance." —Percy Bysshe Shelley

General DiscussionsGot it all tested and rearing to go!!!!!

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Got it all tested and rearing to go!!!!!

Post by Didereaux » Sun May 07, 2017 1:35 am

I give you -> MY NIKON film kit!!!

F2 camera, FM camera
(all Nikkor lens's)
80-200mm zoom
28mm 2,8 50mm1.8 50mm1.4
200mm prime
Sunpack 283 flash Gossun Luna Pro light meter
red, yellow, blue filters, polarizer, 2ea 2x converters

Bought some Ilford HP-5 and HP-2+ film to run tests on. Sent the first roll of HP5 into Darkroom this week, Tested a couple of the lens' the F2 and filters and the HP5 film. It is C-41 (color process) film been around awhile but i never used it. The HP-2+ is high end silver iodide BW mostly used for Fine Art and gallery stuff. These newer versions @400ASA can actually be pushed from 200ASA to 1600 without ill effects. Pretty astounding stuff. Not bad pricing $5-7 per roll 24-36 exp. Runs about $17 per roll when you put in shipping and low level scanning. High Q scanning add another $5-10 so you don't machine gun this stuff on my budget. Primarily going to keep one with me for landscapes, maybe the occasional street shot.

The F2 was the absolute epitome of 35mm cameras during all the '70's,. NYTimes wouldn't allow there photographers to use any other 35. All of NatGeo guys used it way into the '80s. The FM and I believe the F3 are the only two cameras ever built that will accept any Nikkor lens, no matter how old or new except the G series lens (which have no aperture ring)

Anywho this is one tickled old man....waited a loooooooooong time for just one of these! Thanks to Springs uncle I now have two, and all the goodies. Shame he didn't stick around to go out and shoot with me. I liked him, really neat guy.
Attachments
Nikon film equip-3259.jpg
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Mon May 08, 2017 2:49 pm

Nostalgia! My first really $pendy 35 was a Nikon F2AS, backed up by a Nikon FM that was nominally Daphne's camera but, well, you know... :| We lost them both in 1986 in a break-in of our studio, along with all the lenses, bags, the whole meghillah. The great irony (to me) was that I had three Hasselblads, the wedding cameras, all three heavily used (bought 'em used to begin with, one was already 30 years old). The thieves had moved all three around but did not take them, presumably not knowing their worth, which at the time was very high. They also left the flash units, the Quantum batteries, pretty much everything except a brand new biking jacket I had hanging in my closet. Had they taken my 'blads that would have been it.

Heartbroken and "between insurance" as we said in our parlance of the day (we did ultimately go out of business in 1994 owing to not being able to find our butts with a map and a flashlight) and thanking luck and dumb thieves for leaving the 'blads, I had to go replace the Nikons or we'd still have gone out of business right there and then. But I quickly discovered that Nikon had priced itself waaaaay out of my pay grade, even for FM's, plus they were now going to autofocus lenses but the early ones were slow, missed the mark a lot, but the manual focus rings they provided were tiny and hard to grab. Only Canon was offering full manual focus lenses with huge focus rings, and Canon's prices at the time were well below Nikon's. I think now I should have gone used but it never occurred to me at the time, so I bought a matched pair of brand-new-that-year Canon T90's, each with its own short zoom (FD 35-70), one 28mm, and one FD 75-200. The zooms admittedly were a little slow at times (f/2.8 at widest) but they were affordable and allowed me to work with a relatively light bag. The T90's were a revelation and a revolution in technology that gave me a yuge leg up when I went digital because I was already pretty comfortable with menus and programs.
ImageToo Big A Pain To Carry! by Charles Haacker, on Flickr
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by St3v3M » Fri May 12, 2017 8:32 pm

Inspiration to us all! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"