Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
“Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.” ― Pablo Picasso

General DiscussionsWho are you?

pro70z28
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Who are you?

Post by pro70z28 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:01 am

Hello. I'm Pro70z28 A.K.A. Gary Spear. My background is fairly diversified, I guess the old phrase ''Jack of all trades, but master of none'', may fit me. I started working in construction, building houses. Moved to an engine rebuilding plant where I assembled short blocks, did machine work, etc. Moved to a large motor home manufacturing plant where I did several jobs including spot welding, wire welding then moved to the custom van department where I painted murals. Moved to my own shop where I did the mechanical work on antique cars for a guy that restored old cars. I built/painted custom cars (mostly street rods) even had a couple make it into magazines & win a couple trophies at car shows. Moved to a print shop where I did ad layout work, did darkroom work, job work & weekly newspaper layout, (we printed 4 different newspapers for area towns). Moved to self employed sign shop (where I have been for the last 30+ years now). I do cut vinyl, digitally printed vehicle wraps, banners, etc. I do a little engraving & CNC work in 2d & 3d designs. Shop also includes a TIG welder, lathe, english wheel, Stomp Shear, Brake & a variety of other metal working tools, that I use to fabricate for the sign business & to support my hobby, building a pro street Camaro (hence the screen name pro70z28).
I've had an interest in photography since I was a kid, I suppose because my Dad also had an interest. I still have the KODAK bullseye camera that my Dad used during WWII, sitting on a shelf in my office. It has the names of towns he passed through etched into the bake-o-lite body. I Picked up a Nikon D5100 a few years ago & a D610 a couple years later. I take photos just for fun, strictly an amateur, although I do manage to work the camera into the sign business on occasion for digital print work.
I'm glad to be here, looking forward to seeing the new site take off & grow.
Gary Spear

pah43
Mentoris Alumnus
Mentoris Alumnus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by pah43 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:51 am

Hi Guys, My name is Paul Holmes and I too live in Whyalla South Australia, Ive lived here for 34 since I migrated from Sheffield In England. I am retired from paid work but do a fair bit of voluntary work around community health - I often wonder how I found time to actually go to work!
I suppose you would describe me as a very enthusiastic amateur photographer, Ive been into this hobby since the early 60s and am still at it. In that time Ive had a go at most thing, done a few weddings to make cash to buy more equipment, been in various photographic clubs and even started one when I got to Australia - Im currently a member of the Whyalla Photo Group and enjoying it very much. Over that time ive entered many competitions / exhibitions at all levels and over the yrs had quite a few acceptances which is always good for ones ego isnt it (it also proves to wives that the money invested is wisely invested). Over the yrs Ive had most brands of camera and lenses - good and bad, worked in BW - home processed colour, slides and now finally Ive reached the digital age which I have to say is by far and away the best time for me. I loved the darkroom sessions and the thrill of seeing those prize winning shots evolve but it all seems be a bit old hat compared to the the digital production of photographs that is available to us now. Being very much a low budget photographer, digital has made it much more affordable for me and now I can enjoy without the extra expenses that darkrooms demand. So at the moment I use Photoshop, Lightroom and Bridge for all my post processing, Ive used others but seem to have settled on these three ( Onslow has been a big help to me in this area) - Im still very much a novice on the post processing game but I do enjoy learning and discovering just what can (and sometimes what cannot) be pulled out of a photograph.
I look forward to looking at all your work and in turn posting mine, Im quite happy for critique etc - its the best way to improve after all and lastly I guess my favorite mode of shooting is Contre' Joure.

Paul
Cheers,
Paul.

“Wherever there is light, one can photograph." :photo:

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by TomCofer » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:25 am

Thanks Gary and Paul!
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

pop511
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by pop511 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:00 pm

Picked up my first camera when I was about 16, a Box Brownie. A distinction I can claim is that from the first to the last, all my pics were rubbish. Then came a Minolta SRT101 and XG2. I preferred the 101 as it was completely manual. Eventually got the chance to shoot shows at the Horden Pavilion in Sydney, which was about the only place to put on large acts 40 years ago where I shot Ike and Tina Turner and others. I played music in a lot of bands over the years, but I never got to play at the Horden.

Got married and the kids came. Money tight, so the cameras got put into the cupboard. I worked for the government running industrial complexes about 350-500 staff, and law enforcement. Since retirement I have had my own I.T. business and returned to my old love, cameras. Have obtained my Cert4. and in 2015 will do my Diploma.

Next week I am going to Philippines for a few weeks to hopefully set up a studio, but this won't be ready for some time.

It is nice to get kudos for my work, but I am here primarily to learn.

Kind Regards:
ed davis

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by TomCofer » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:55 pm

Thanks for sharing pop511

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

Cliff
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus

Post by Cliff » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:47 am

Cliff Lawson here. I am on my second career as a photographer after 34 years as an airline pilot (United). Took my wife about a month after retirement to tell me, "Honey, you have GOT to find something to do." Having been a hobbyist since my college days, I figured I would get back into photography and the digital stuff. To shorten this story, people began wanting to buy my images and about that time , someone introduced me to the PPA and the Colorado affiliate. Now, I certainly realize one can become a superb and successful photographer without the organization, but for me it provided a structure and environment that continues to this day. Through the organization I acquired my CPP (Certified Professional Photographer) designation and this coming February I will be awarded my Master Photography degree (M.Photog.). The latter is the toughest.

My real love is photographing high school seniors. I also have some connections that give me a nice steady stream of corporate headshots. Under no circumstances will I do weddings...or babies. The HS seniors also leads to family portraits.

By virtue of what I shoot, the majority is done on location as that is what the kids want. But I do have access to a rental studio nearby and use that when the client or situation require it. I use it often enough that the owner just gave me access to the online calendar and a key.

I do some teaching as well - not on the level of Bobby Deal - but I get requests several times a year to teach how I use flash for my outdoor portraits. Both speedlights and battery-powered studio strobes.

My equipment is a Nikon D3 and D800 with my favorite lenses being the 70-200mm f/2.8, the 24-70mm f/2.8, and 85mm f/1.4. I just this past week bought the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art lens. After reading the reviews and seeing it outperforms the Nikon and Canon equivalents and rivals the $4000 55mm Ziess Otus, I just have to try it! It is a bit short for head and shoulder stuff, but waist-up or hips-up, it could be killer.

So Bobby invited me and I hope to both be able to share what I know and learn from others.

SuzanneR
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus

Post by SuzanneR » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:55 am

Hi, Suzanne here from Las Vegas, NV. Prior to living here, I lived in Albany, OR, and Southern California before that. I work as an electronic tech and dabble in the IT world as well, so photography appeals to me being that it combines techie stuff with art stuff. ;) My interest lies in nature photography, particularly wildlife. I've only been serious about photography for about a year and a half. I owned a DSLR prior to that, but just didn't quite understand the purpose of all the buttons and bells. The impetus to learn and get serious about things was when I took a cruise to Alaska, which I knew would be a wonderful opportunity to get some (hopefully) great pics. I was generally pretty happy with how my pics turned out, and it was at that point that the "bug" bit hard and I was motivated to keep learning. The better my pics became, the more I wanted to learn. Even though it is just a "hobby" for me, I spend quite a bit of time outside of work doing something photography-related (I"m single, otherwise that may not go over so well, ha ha). I've sold a handful of prints so I guess someone, somewhere, thinks I'm doing OK so far! But I know I have a long way to go to awesomeness. 8): Looking forward to learning more through this group, and seeing everyone's work. Oh and I shoot with a Nikon D7100 (and a D40 sidekick, for macros).

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by TomCofer » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:11 am

Thanks Cliff and Suzanne. I think we're all gonna have a blast here!

thcofer@charter.net

SpiderWoman
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus

Post by SpiderWoman » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:50 am

I was invited here by Tom. I do see some I know and am excited to be in a Forum.
I consider myself to be an Avid Amateur Photog. I got my love of Photography from my Dad.
The first Camera I had was a Kodak Instamatic given to me by Daddy.
When Dad Passed I was fortunate to inherit his Kit. Canon A1, AE1 and a bunch of lenses.
When I moved into the DLSR World I went Nikon...Sorry Dad... :)
I love shooting Nature and a few set up shots featuring my Guinea Pigs.
My kit consists of a Nikon D5000, 35mm Prime 70-300 and an 18-55 Kit lens.
I look forward to getting to know you folks.
My real name is Dori 8):

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by TomCofer » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:00 am

Welcome umm, SpiderWoman. :D
Look forward to your posts.

thcofer@charter.net