Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
"Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God." - Leo Buscaglia

General DiscussionsPM Retreat 2019 - this one is going to happen!

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

PM Retreat 2019 - this one is going to happen!

Post by minniev » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:07 pm

Dave Chinn and I are going to Monhegan Island, Maine for Trap Day 2019 which is October 1. We will go a couple of days before and stay a couple of days after. A couple of folks from the Forum That Can't Be Named are going to meet us there. Dave's and my spouses are going too, though mine is going just for the adventure rather than for photography, and has even agreed to do some of the cooking. Singles or doubles are welcome.

There is EVERYTHING to photograph on this tiny island: lobster fishermen getting their boats ready, old New England architecture, wonderful gardens, a 75 year old shipwreck, rocky seascapes, massive numbers of migratory birds, ancient forests, a beautiful old lighthouse, the darkest night skies in the US.

Going to Monhegan means catching a ferry, and leaving your vehicle on shore. I usually fly into Bangor and add at least a day to see Acadia on one end or the other. But I have flown into Portland as well. The ferry leaves from Port Clyde which has a wonderful lighthouse of its own to shoot while you wait for the ferry.

We need to make plans this month, and get reservations. Let me or Dave know if you're interested. We mean to keep this as cheap as possible. I've been several times, so I can try to answer any questions you may have.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:28 pm

OK, folks. The Chinns and the Van Every's have booked their trip to Monhegan, so there WILL be a pM photo meetup Sept 28-Oct. 5. We welcome others to join us. There is a third photographer who will be there part but not all of that week. If you have interest, PLEASE let one of us know. Since Monhegan is notoriously quiet after dark, we'll have time at night to go over our shots, share knowledge and ideas, and improve our skills through networking. We will be shooting landscapes, seascapes, architecture, birds, lobster boats, and lots of fishermen in action. We'd love to have others join up.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:49 pm

I would love to go, take the wife as well. Can I ask what the average rate for the stay (not including flight) is for that week?
I take it food is family style?
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:45 pm

Duck wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:49 pm
I would love to go, take the wife as well. Can I ask what the average rate for the stay (not including flight) is for that week?
It would be great to have you along! We were hoping you might be interested. The lodging varies according to what you get but generally runs about $150-$250 a night. http://monheganwelcome.com/sleep/ has some links to lodging options.

There are a few places to get food on the island: a small coffee shop that has a few offerings for lunch and/or early dinner, the hotel has a full dining room experience for breakfast and dinner but reservations are a necessity if you're not staying there. The grocery sells sandwiches during the day. But we are planning on doing some prep ourselves to keep costs down and avoid the hassle of chasing food without a lot of places to look. It is best to go over with a supply of foodstuff, as the grocery is tiny and has its limitations. There's groceries available in Port Clyde, where the ferry terminal is.

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:58 pm

Duck wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:49 pm

Hope you and your wife can join us Duck !!!
Dave
https://www.davechinn.com/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35722922@N02/albums

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:42 pm

It would be nice. I'll have to convince the wife we need a vacation. It's not like it's so far away for us either. We can drive to the ferry.
Hmm... how to make it seem like it's her idea to go... :devil:
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage