"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

General DiscussionsHelp!!! Needed Re: Image Sales

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Help!!! Needed Re: Image Sales

Post by minniev » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:42 pm

I need help. I have a possible big break that I want to use properly and no experience to draw on to figure it out. So I’m asking for advice.

A new upscale seafood restaurant will soon open at the dam where my dam bird photos were taken. I met the manager and told him about my work. He checked out my portfolio and has asked the owners to commission some of them for the restaurant. The owners are in town for the week and he is taking them to look at the gallery exhibit. If they approve, he wants pricing options.

I don’t know how to leverage pricing. I have no clue how much more to charge than what it costs me to get them done. I want to make some profit but I also don’t want to risk losing this excellent opportunity to get my work before a lot of people in a very different way. What would any of you recommend?
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

pop511
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Post by pop511 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:36 pm

How much is your time worth?
Check on other businesses in your area. How much do they charge?
Don't sell yourself cheap?
Above are only ideas for you to think about.
Kind regards;
ed davis

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:33 am

pop511 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:36 pm
How much is your time worth?
Check on other businesses in your area. How much do they charge?
Don't sell yourself cheap?
Above are only ideas for you to think about.
Kind regards;
The quandary is similar to what other photographers deal with I suspect, how to set a price point that will entice the buyer rather than scare him off, but not lock yourself into a bargain basement pricing that essentially gives your work away at cost. And then I know so little about outsourcing printing. I don’t know how to guide the discussion on framing and presentation. I’ve only done the one exhibit, and a restaurant is not the same as a museum.

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:17 pm

Minnie, I recall that Ernst provided some of his prices in a post a while back. I suspect he would give some valuable advice. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:17 am

Do your homework first. Find the final "out the door" price to get the images printed large in various formats (canvas, acrylic, metal, framed, etc) and at various sizes you feel will work within the restaurant's environment. Armed with that you now have a minimum amount to work with, or what is referred to as your bottom line. Then add 300% to that and now you have a profit margin you can maneuver accordingly.

Now, before YOU drop any price, let THEM tell you how many prints they are looking to use, at what sizes and where and what their budget is. That amount will give you and idea of how to structure your pricing without cutting your own throat. Based on that information you can then refer to your secret (don't show them) price guide to determine what your out of pocket cost will be (ballpark) to get the prints made. Add the 300% markup and compare to their budget. If it's close, you're in the game. If it's way over, 300% gives you some room to maneuver but DON'T UNDERSELL YOURSELF. Give them one less image. If it's way under, upsell them on a few smaller images for their office or something. Consider also giving them a small "free" print as a gift. Only you know you've already built that into the price.:)

Hope this helps.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:32 am

Duck wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:17 am
Do your homework first. Find the final "out the door" price to get the images printed large in various formats (canvas, acrylic, metal, framed, etc) and at various sizes you feel will work within the restaurant's environment. Armed with that you now have a minimum amount to work with, or what is referred to as your bottom line. Then add 300% to that and now you have a profit margin you can maneuver accordingly.

Now, before YOU drop any price, let THEM tell you how many prints they are looking to use, at what sizes and where and what their budget is. That amount will give you and idea of how to structure your pricing without cutting your own throat. Based on that information you can then refer to your secret (don't show them) price guide to determine what your out of pocket cost will be (ballpark) to get the prints made. Add the 300% markup and compare to their budget. If it's close, you're in the game. If it's way over, 300% gives you some room to maneuver but DON'T UNDERSELL YOURSELF. Give them one less image. If it's way under, upsell them on a few smaller images for their office or something. Consider also giving them a small "free" print as a gift. Only you know you've already built that into the price.:)

Hope this helps.
Thanks Duck. These are practical ideas that give me a starting point. I’m to meet the manager Monday at the restaurant to look at the location and discuss options so I’ll start on my homework!

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:01 pm

What Duck Said. Do some home work. Find out how many they want and what their budget is. Then come back with options.

Gallery Wraps, Color prints mounted and framed, BW prints matted and framed.

Price it for very good profit with wiggle room to come down just a bit.
Today is the Day, a New Day.

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:55 pm

Also Minnie, Remind them if need be that they are buying original art not something from WalMart. ;-)
Today is the Day, a New Day.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:03 pm

Best comment I've heard so far Ernst...

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:17 pm

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:01 pm
What Duck Said. Do some home work. Find out how many they want and what their budget is. Then come back with options.

Gallery Wraps, Color prints mounted and framed, BW prints matted and framed.

Price it for very good profit with wiggle room to come down just a bit.
Thanks. I’m working on a list of points to discuss. They like the idea of canvas wraps, they think it would fit their style. I’m to meet the mgr Monday morning to discuss and look at the space.