“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” —Vince Lombardi

Forum software has been updated to latest version. Please report any issues you may encounter. - Thanks

General DiscussionsA pM Retreat? Share Your Thoughts

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: A pM Retreat? Share Your Thoughts

Post by St3v3M » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:00 pm

Duck wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:54 pm
I have no issues tenting. I did that for many years in my youth. It's the whole camper/KOAs/planning thing that I'm trying to understand. I'm probably overthinking it, as I tend to do. But the idea of motoring down has its appeal.
Chuck is great at explaining this, but road-tripping typically comes down to three things, hotels, RVs, or tenting it. Hotels are great to pull in, get something to eat, and sleep. RV's are a bit more work, but not much, it's mostly find somewhere to park, make something to eat, and sleep. Tents are the cheapest and most adventurous and can definitely have that feeling of roughing it, but with a little preparation can be just as nice and what's better than sleeping outdoors?

The 'hard' part with RVs and tents is finding somewhere to set up and that's where campgrounds come into play. You can park an RV in most Walmart parking lots, but there still issues there, but you're basically looking for a safe, level place to set up. Some campgrounds are basically a parking lot, while others offer amenities like showers, laundry, pools, and other fun things. It depends on where you are and what you want to pay for. Tent camping along the road can be dangerous so campgrounds make sense.

There are some wonderful guides on the internet and YouTube, but mostly it's a trial by fire sort of thing. Some people love camping and others don't understand why the world isn't full of hotels. I love it, but I'm crazy that way! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by minniev » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:27 pm

Just in case the arrow points at Sallis, I'd suggest that the date be moved a bit towards the latter part of October since fall color comes later to MS than to other parts of the country, and temperatures should be pleasant then. I'm game, I've even told my husband, who insists no one will come to Mississippi but says he'll volunteer to help cook.

For anyone who wanted to bring a camper, we have plenty of room, and there seems to be no further danger of going through the bridge now that the new culvert has been installed.

This would be our dining room/general work room, the only one with a table big enough for a large group, but there will be other workspaces all around the house by then.
Attachments
dr (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by minniev » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:37 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:31 pm
I have been watching this thread with anticipation and fear too. I am close to jumping onboard, but it may be awkward for me for a while, we would have to figure out how to get the dog taken care of (perhaps a daughter taking a vacation here during that time). But wanted to share that other than the logistics of it and the fear of making a commitment, this is something that I think is awesome.
If the arrow lands on Mississippi, dogs are welcome in my house, unless someone else is allergic or something.

If the arrow lands on Monhegan, most rentals accept dogs, and it is a very dog friendly island. The first Sunday of October, the church service is the Blessing Of The Animals, and all the animals go to church with their families (last time this was dogs, cats and chickens), and a Remembrance service for animals who have already crossed the Rainbow Bridge. It was a madhouse, but wonderful.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:31 am

minniev wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:37 pm
If the arrow lands on Mississippi...

I am in favor of letting members who have budget or traveling constraints have first dibs on the location choice. Personally, I can travel just about anywhere (within reason, obviously) so any location is ultimately fine with me. Of course Maine (or within a day's drive?) would allow me to transport equipment that can be used by the group while were together. As an instructor and studio owner I have lots of equipment... just saying. :D
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by minniev » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:48 pm

Duck wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:31 am

I am in favor of letting members who have budget or traveling constraints have first dibs on the location choice. Personally, I can travel just about anywhere (within reason, obviously) so any location is ultimately fine with me. Of course Maine (or within a day's drive?) would allow me to transport equipment that can be used by the group while were together. As an instructor and studio owner I have lots of equipment... just saying. :D
I'm open to all ideas too. The ideas I already put forward (Maine and my house!) were based on what I know and have, which of course has limitations. I can find things that appeal to me in almost any setting, and the primary attraction would be hanging around with the pM crowd. So speak up, those who are interested, and talk to us about times and places and your own interests/wishes/constraints. My own offer remains on the table, should the group feel inclined to that option. And I'll be happy to do some of the research about other options folks may want to know more about.

But if we want to do something, we probably should begin to make some plans?

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:17 pm

Duck wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:31 am

minniev wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:48 pm
I'm open to all ideas too. The ideas I already put forward (Maine and my house!) were based on what I know and have, which of course has limitations. I can find things that appeal to me in almost any setting, and the primary attraction would be hanging around with the pM crowd. So speak up, those who are interested, and talk to us about times and places and your own interests/wishes/constraints. My own offer remains on the table, should the group feel inclined to that option. And I'll be happy to do some of the research about other options folks may want to know more about.

But if we want to do something, we probably should begin to make some plans?
Like Min I am mainly attracted to hanging out with our bunch. I have really no restrictions beyond expen$e, and once I can get a handle on how much that might be I can probably work with it (I must by law take a "distribution" from my IRA and I can take beyond the minimum if I need to). I just like to photograph and have madly varying tastes, from architecture to zouave. I have literally shot a manhole cover that caught my attention. My thinking at the moment is that I would make a solo road trip of it, shooting along the route. I would be happy to serve on an ad hoc planning committee in any capacity you (committee) think I could manage. I don't think I am especially good at planning per se but I'm willing to help to make this happen.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:46 pm

Like you Chuck, I might make it into a road trip as well.

I say we also think about setting (maybe) half day "sessions" where each of use leads a "workshop" in our strong areas. I.e. Textures with Minnie, I can do Lightroom, etc. Intersperse time for group outings and communal activities... :-D
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImageImage