General DiscussionsIntroductions

JLemmon
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Introductions

Post by JLemmon » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:12 pm

Hello! This past week or so I decided to venture "out" and find a forum where other photographers are. After joining one, it was suggested I also join this one. So here I am!

I am located in Indiana- in a small town most people don't know. I have been a hobbyist photographer for many years. In 2016 my sister encouraged me to finally offer my photography services to people other than family, so I did. Amazed at how 2016 went, this past year I officially started Jessica Lemmon Photography LLC. Photography has always been a passion of mine, yet I still have so much to learn! Currently, my niche is family sessions/children sessions. I offer business portraits, business events/parties, and have signed a contract for a wedding late 2018. I just recently upgraded from a Canon Rebel T3i, to a Canon 6D. I know this may not be exciting for most of you BUT :yay: ! The Rebel served me well, and I made it work for what I needed. As you know that low light factor and crop frame was restricting me.

My goal for 2018, is to learn how to properly use artificial lighting. I am mainly a natural light photographer, however I know I need to learn how to use my speedlite better. I have many other goals, but that is where I am starting as it is a weakness I am ready to overcome.

Please feel free to introduce yourselves and give a little back story of how you ended up where you are at today, if you want.
I look forward to observing, learning, and reaching out for advice/CC.

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by LindaShorey » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:51 pm

Welcome, Jessica! I'm Linda, originally from Maine, have been living in central Washington - the dry side of the state :) for 15 years. I used the Canon T3i quite happily for over 4 years, but switched to lighter (mostly the lenses) mirrorless system last spring. Strictly a hobbyist enjoying the journey. See ya 'round the farm!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by Duck » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:04 pm

Hi Jessica. I am glad to see you took up my offer to join us here. You'll get more from your participation here than at TPPF. We have a small membership but theirs is even smaller,but we have some great portraitist.

...and just to warn you, we are in the middle of a site upgrade so in a week or so the look of the site will change for the better.

If you have any questions, issues or suggestions feel free to reach out. And if you like this place, spread the word. :)
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:26 pm

Welcome Jessica.

May I start a new thread with the hopes of offering you some guidance into the Portrait Industry?
Today is the Day, a New Day.

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:09 pm

Welcome to our village.We are widely varied, but all of us love our little corner of the photography universe. The real treasure here is our sharing, regardless of whether our emphasis is commercial photography, portraits, landscapes, or fanciful creative art. We like to talk, too, so jump in, share images and opinions, and enjoy!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:40 pm

WELCOME Jessica! I believe you will find us a clean, well lighted place. Several of us are "refugees" from another site where things could get a little rough, some trolling, flame wars; Momma don't allow that 'round here! I'm personally exclusive since these folks are all so nice, not to mention so many supremely talented and generous. I'm an old fogey with a long background in photography, degreed (worth $0.00), full time working pro, 16 years of it with my own full-service studio, but things happened and I hung up my guns for too many years until getting back in in 2007 with a tiny digital point-and-shoot. I am a strong believer that "it ain't about cameras" but stepping up to a full frame, especially as you are turning pro is a step in the right direction. I still use compacts (now a 1" Sony) but I'm not trying to make a living at it anymore. Ask us anything! There are no silly questions! Again, welcome! :yay:
EDIT! Just looked at your site and your stuff! I think it's great! Very spontaneous, humorous, and well done! You've got the Right Stuff! :thumbup:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

JLemmon
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus

Post by JLemmon » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:02 pm

Duck wrote:Hi Jessica. I am glad to see you took up my offer to join us here. You'll get more from your participation here than at TPPF. We have a small membership but theirs is even smaller,but we have some great portraitist.

...and just to warn you, we are in the middle of a site upgrade so in a week or so the look of the site will change for the better.

If you have any questions, issues or suggestions feel free to reach out. And if you like this place, spread the word. :)

Thank you for the invite! So far, I am very pleased and only expect to find more great things.

Can't wait to see what changes are coming this way!

JLemmon
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus

Post by JLemmon » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:07 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:WELCOME Jessica! I believe you will find us a clean, well lighted place. Several of us are "refugees" from another site where things could get a little rough, some trolling, flame wars; Momma don't allow that 'round here! I'm personally exclusive since these folks are all so nice, not to mention so many supremely talented and generous. I'm an old fogey with a long background in photography, degreed (worth $0.00), full time working pro, 16 years of it with my own full-service studio, but things happened and I hung up my guns for too many years until getting back in in 2007 with a tiny digital point-and-shoot. I am a strong believer that "it ain't about cameras" but stepping up to a full frame, especially as you are turning pro is a step in the right direction. I still use compacts (now a 1" Sony) but I'm not trying to make a living at it anymore. Ask us anything! There are no silly questions! Again, welcome! :yay:
EDIT! Just looked at your site and your stuff! I think it's great! Very spontaneous, humorous, and well done! You've got the Right Stuff! :thumbup:

Thank you. So far this atmosphere is just right! I plan to dive in and explore all the areas of this forum, meeting people along the way! I could not agree more that it is not about the camera, the camera helps in times but it just made sense for me to upgrade to a full frame.

And thank you, again! Photography is very common around me and I personally like to offer something that separates me from the rest. Even if that is my personality coming out into my work. I appreciate the your kind words!

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:19 am

Hey Jessica,
It's wonderful to have you with us and please say thank you to your sister for pushing you to use your talents and help others with them.

We're a small, but growing group, dedicated to learning and teaching, teaching and learning, and the best way to get a feel is to jump in.

Let us know if you need anything and Welcome Home! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Psjunkie » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:02 pm

Welcome Jessica, looking forward to seeing some your work....and good luck in your venture.