Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
"He who knows most knows how little he knows." -Thomas Jefferson

Flowers & Plants CritiqueBall Moss at Dawn, Swamp Study

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Ball Moss at Dawn, Swamp Study

Post by minniev » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:08 pm

I don't know for sure that this is ball moss but cannot find a better way to describe it even if it's not. They are little balls smaller than a golf ball that grow on tree branches. This one at the conjunction of gold and blue light caught my eye. I didn't edit it much because I wasn't sure what to do with it. All comments appreciated.
Attachments
fuzz (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:31 pm

off the top of my head more drama is one choice along with your texture expertise.......a good capture minniev

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:47 pm

minniev wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:08 pm
[...] I didn't edit it much because I wasn't sure what to do with it. All comments appreciated.

It is with images such as this when you need to throw caution to the wind and experiment (or play, however you want to call it). There is so much that can be learned by abandoning preconceived ideas or solutions pulled from our library of past experience. With your permission, I threw caution to the wind and pushed this image past your personal comfort zone.

Moss Ball 01.jpg
Yes, I know this is not your particular style, nor do I think you'll find much of it appealing. This is just an exercise to push boundaries. :D

Moss Ball 02.jpg
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Tutorials ⇒ How to critique photos
NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:00 am

Duck wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:47 pm
minniev wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:08 pm
[...] I didn't edit it much because I wasn't sure what to do with it. All comments appreciated.

It is with images such as this when you need to throw caution to the wind and experiment (or play, however you want to call it). There is so much that can be learned by abandoning preconceived ideas or solutions pulled from our library of past experience. With your permission, I threw caution to the wind and pushed this image past your personal comfort zone.

Moss Ball 01.jpg

Yes, I know this is not your particular style, nor do I think you'll find much of it appealing. This is just an exercise to push boundaries. :D

Moss Ball 02.jpg
Always like to see what others do with an image of mine! I really like what you've done with the background colors, shaping them to actually serve a role in the image Studying your layers, what is the role of the black and white layer that is just above the base layer? I think I have a general idea what the others are. The only thing I don't really like is the white or near white highlights. I tend towards softer stuff.

But as for a comfort zone, I will do anything to an image I take a notion for (granted, my notions may be odd), including transforming a tree into a nude sculpture being assaulted by a creepy monster, so I'm up for just about anything and appreciative of you sharing!

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:01 am

Psjunkie wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:31 pm
off the top of my head more drama is one choice along with your texture expertise.......a good capture minniev
More drama. You know what I'll say next. Show me :D

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:35 am

minniev wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:00 am
[..] what is the role of the black and white layer that is just above the base layer? I think I have a general idea what the others are. [...]

In your original colored version, the moss and the background have similar values on the luminance scale, making them blend into each other too easily (do the squint test). The black and white layer is a temporary effect that allows me to modify the contrast between subject and background without the distraction color plays in editing. I usually delete it after I'm done editing but I thought I'd keep it in for exactly this conversation. Thanks for playing along. :D
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Tutorials ⇒ How to critique photos
NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:02 am

minniev wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:01 am
More drama. You know what I'll say next. Show me :D
I'm pretty sure you get my drift and Duck got you thinking in the right direction......

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:08 pm

Duck wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:35 am
minniev wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:00 am
[..] what is the role of the black and white layer that is just above the base layer? I think I have a general idea what the others are. [...]

In your original colored version, the moss and the background have similar values on the luminance scale, making them blend into each other too easily (do the squint test). The black and white layer is a temporary effect that allows me to modify the contrast between subject and background without the distraction color plays in editing. I usually delete it after I'm done editing but I thought I'd keep it in for exactly this conversation. Thanks for playing along. :D
I knew it must have some function but couldn't figure it out, thanks for explaining.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:30 pm

I like the crop here for emphasizing the "thorny" aspect of both the ball and the surrounding vines - and the yellow/gold background for it is very beautiful. With the different color backlighting, it looks pretty awesome.