Flowers & Plants CritiqueCathedral

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Cathedral

Post by minniev » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:35 am

Cathedral Grove is the best known of the old growth forests on Vancouver Island. I am never equipped to photograph or edit such giants. All you can do is shoot a part of one and try to show some context. I have little confidence in this or the others from this place. All suggestions/feedback appreciated.
Attachments
rainforest (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:43 pm

I'd give some thought to enhancing the light a touch, maybe work that lighter spot right of the tree and into the back ground to create some depth....then maybe the tree itself so it doesn't get lost from the first adjustment......it's a great image as is but your looking for thoughts

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:48 pm

I feel your pain. I love hiking through the woods in my area and whenever I take my camera I am always dissatisfied because none of the images live to the reality. Occasionally I get a passable of but nothing I would consider worthy. The magic formula for getting beautiful forest images eludes me, unfortunately. Some day... Maybe.

Your image is far better than anything I could have gotten. Love the colors but like with many of my own, it's too monochromatic. All I can think of is maybe doing something in post to add drama. (?)
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:32 pm

Duck wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:48 pm
I feel your pain. I love hiking through the woods in my area and whenever I take my camera I am always dissatisfied because none of the images live to the reality. Occasionally I get a passable of but nothing I would consider worthy. The magic formula for getting beautiful forest images eludes me, unfortunately. Some day... Maybe.

Your image is far better than anything I could have gotten. Love the colors but like with many of my own, it's too monochromatic. All I can think of is maybe doing something in post to add drama. (?)
I think it would take some special natural lighting to get a powerful picture of these giants. And yes, it is all the same color. I will try Frank's suggestion of amplifying that light source from the back right side and see if that helps any.

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:33 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:43 pm
I'd give some thought to enhancing the light a touch, maybe work that lighter spot right of the tree and into the back ground to create some depth....then maybe the tree itself so it doesn't get lost from the first adjustment......it's a great image as is but your looking for thoughts
Thanks, Frank. I shall give that a try. I have several dozen images from the old growth forests that have potential but as with this one, there is a limited color palette, very limited light, and lots of stuff in the way.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:57 pm

I like the picture, and it's probably exactly what I'd have done. It is so, so difficult to photograph the forest for the trees, so to speak. I don't think I've ever managed it.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:51 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:57 pm
I like the picture, and it's probably exactly what I'd have done. It is so, so difficult to photograph the forest for the trees, so to speak. I don't think I've ever managed it.
Thanks Chuck, we gotta try don't we! I'll give Frank's idea a whirl and see if anything worthwhile happens from that idea, it sounds more promising than anything I thought of trying.