Flowers & Plants CritiqueFerns

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Ferns

Post by minniev » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:13 pm

I’m pretty sure this will be kinda terrible. I’m experimenting with detailed editing on the ipad, using my finger to draw a mask, so no tellling how it may look on your screen. I’ll have another shot at it when I get home with all my toys, but is it worth fooling with in terms of interest? Tell me the brutal truth about the masking too.
Attachments
CE0B6378-B8EB-4BF0-ADF5-63F7C52772C9.jpeg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

mikec
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by mikec » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:41 pm

The masking to my eye looks good. But don't see to much in the picture. Maybe color would be better.
Mike C
Enjoying the sun and sea in Miami, FL

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:40 am

mikec wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:41 pm
The masking to my eye looks good. But don't see to much in the picture. Maybe color would be better.
Thanks Mike. My photos right now are kinda boring, I know. I’m in a weird phase. But learning new stuff like making masks with finger Painting! I’ll try the color version for the heck of it.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:06 am

the abstract triangles are interesting in their fractal form and harshness. I am assuming the mask allowed you to get the dark background, if that is the case, then I think the masking worked pretty well.

I ALMOST want to find a Christmas tree and ditto it placing them along the stems - but that would be too much work (even for me - Ha)

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:22 am

PietFrancke wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:06 am
the abstract triangles are interesting in their fractal form and harshness. I am assuming the mask allowed you to get the dark background, if that is the case, then I think the masking worked pretty well.

I ALMOST want to find a Christmas tree and ditto it placing them along the stems - but that would be too much work (even for me - Ha)
It was the shapes that caught me and made me convert to the harsh b & w. Much of it was dark but there were spots of stray sunlight that I finger painted out.

Yep too much work. If too much for a Master, definitely too much for me.

Piet do you have an ipad? I discovered an amazing ap that made me think of you and your art, Photoshop Mix. I can’t use it yet, but I could tell you’d probably be able to. It’s free with the usual PS package.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:16 pm

minniev wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:22 am
PietFrancke wrote:

It was the shapes that caught me and made me convert to the harsh b & w. Much of it was dark but there were spots of stray sunlight that I finger painted out.

Piet do you have an ipad? I discovered an amazing ap that made me think of you and your art, Photoshop Mix. I can’t use it yet, but I could tell you’d probably be able to. It’s free with the usual PS package.
no Ipad, but I have an Android tablet.

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:36 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:16 pm
minniev wrote:
PietFrancke wrote:

Look up Adobe Sketch, Photoshop Mix, Photoshop Fix. I think they work for android too. They are free apps that work on the tablet, which you get with your photography PS subscription that I’m pretty sure you have. They are extremely powerful tablet apps. LRCC, which was very tepid when first released, is much more robust now though it takes some exploration to get to the good stuff.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:43 pm

minniev wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:36 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
minniev wrote:

Look up Adobe Sketch, Photoshop Mix, Photoshop Fix. I think they work for android too. They are free apps that work on the tablet, which you get with your photography PS subscription that I’m pretty sure you have. They are extremely powerful tablet apps. LRCC, which was very tepid when first released, is much more robust now though it takes some exploration to get to the good stuff.
thank you, will check that out, sounds useful when on the road.

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:13 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:43 pm
minniev wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:36 pm
PietFrancke wrote:

thank you, will check that out, sounds useful when on the road.
The sketch thing, with a stylus, would be useful in your quest for painting on top of photos. It is like a transparent Intuos tablet with the image inside it and layers on top. That’s the best way I can describe it.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:58 pm

I have an old Wacom tablet that I have been using, but the idea of painting directly onto an image is intriguing. I wish they had greater resolution stylus type pens for tablets.