Flowers & Plants CritiqueFrostbit Daffodils in Jam Jar, ETTR, Manual Settings

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Frostbit Daffodils in Jam Jar, ETTR, Manual Settings

Post by Charles Haacker » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:14 pm

Elsewhere we've been discussing the use of manual vs. automatic settings. I mentioned that, having learned and worked professionally with nothing but manual I very much value automation, but it helps immeasurably to understand what it is doing, and for that it helps to be comfortable with setting a camera manually.

We've been having overnight temps in the teens and the daffodils have been hammered. My son clipped these very close to the flowers because they were drooping and put them in a jam jar with some water. They were sitting on the dining table against the light from the translucent blinds. They were a PHOTO OP! :yay:

I used my "new" Sony A6000 with the longer zoom plus a 16 mm extension ring (tube). All available light, all settings manual except focus, which was the adjustable spot placed right on the tip of the pistil in the center of the flower. These are two shots, not just one cropped. I had my histogram piled well to the right but in live view (lurves me some live view) I could clearly see there was good detail in the brightest parts of the backlit flower.
Attachments
DSC02554.EMlr.jpg
Sony A6000
1 sec f/11 ISO 160 Manual
117 mm +16 mm ext ring E55-210
Processed in Lightroom
DSC02555.EMlr.jpg
Sony A6000
1 sec f/11 ISO 160 Manual
94 mm +16 mm ext ring E55-210
Processed in Lightroom
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:19 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:14 pm
Elsewhere we've been discussing the use of manual vs. automatic settings. I mentioned that, having learned and worked professionally with nothing but manual I very much value automation, but it helps immeasurably to understand what it is doing, and for that it helps to be comfortable with setting a camera manually.

We've been having overnight temps in the teens and the daffodils have been hammered. My son clipped these very close to the flowers because they were drooping and put them in a jam jar with some water. They were sitting on the dining table against the light from the translucent blinds. They were a PHOTO OP! :yay:

I used my "new" Sony A6000 with the longer zoom plus a 16 mm extension ring (tube). All available light, all settings manual except focus, which was the adjustable spot placed right on the tip of the pistil in the center of the flower. These are two shots, not just one cropped. I had my histogram piled well to the right but in live view (lurves me some live view) I could clearly see there was good detail in the brightest parts of the backlit flower.
You didn't clip those yellows, that's for sure. Do you use the blinkies or just the histogram or both? By live view do you mean the EVF or the backscreen? We have such cool tricks hiding inside these cameras.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:09 pm

minniev wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:19 pm
You didn't clip those yellows, that's for sure. Do you use the blinkies or just the histogram or both? By live view do you mean the EVF or the backscreen? We have such cool tricks hiding inside these cameras.
Thanks for looking and commenting, Minnie. I used the histogram plus eyeballing on the screen. I almost never use the blinkies or zebras any more. My understanding is that all mirrorless, or "Compact System Cameras" are in "live view" all the time. You use an Olympus system if I recall correctly, and it's mirrorless (if I'm wrong, sorry). I've never used a DSLR even once, never even held one, but I gather when they talk about "live view" what they mean is bypassing the mirror and putting the sensor image on the screen. Mirrorless cameras, not having optical finders always have the sensor image on the screen, and in the electronic viewfinder, along with any and all other data you care to include. One of the things that so entranced me with my first tiny compact was the realization that I was seeing exactly what the sensor was seeing edge-to-edge (except it lacked an EVF). It's one reason I stuck with compacts. I staged up to the Nikon P7800 for it's EVF. I staged up to the Sony RX10 because I think of it as a fixed-lens (24-200 mm zoom) mirrorless with a 1" sensor. Finally I have staged up again to the A6000 with the even larger APS-C sensor and lens interchangeability, but every digital camera I've ever owned is basically "mirrorless." I love (LOVE) the fact that what I am seeing in my viewfinder is exactly what I will get. If it looks dark and I want it lighter I can just adjust the EV up, or whatever. I imagine that some DSLR purists might say I'm cheating, but I don't care because now as ever my whole thrust is getting the picture, who cares how. I love knowing that I've got it before I even upload it to the computer. I think the state of the art is such that mirrorless are now an actual "threat" to DSLRs, especially now that there are high-end full-frame mirrorless that can go head-to-head with pro-grade DSLRs. I believe mirrorless will not be long in displacing DSLRs the way digital displaced film in less than 20 years.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:35 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:09 pm

Thanks for looking and commenting, Minnie. I used the histogram plus eyeballing on the screen. I almost never use the blinkies or zebras any more. My understanding is that all mirrorless, or "Compact System Cameras" are in "live view" all the time. You use an Olympus system if I recall correctly, and it's mirrorless (if I'm wrong, sorry). I've never used a DSLR even once, never even held one, but I gather when they talk about "live view" what they mean is bypassing the mirror and putting the sensor image on the screen. Mirrorless cameras, not having optical finders always have the sensor image on the screen, and in the electronic viewfinder, along with any and all other data you care to include. One of the things that so entranced me with my first tiny compact was the realization that I was seeing exactly what the sensor was seeing edge-to-edge (except it lacked an EVF). It's one reason I stuck with compacts. I staged up to the Nikon P7800 for it's EVF. I staged up to the Sony RX10 because I think of it as a fixed-lens (24-200 mm zoom) mirrorless with a 1" sensor. Finally I have staged up again to the A6000 with the even larger APS-C sensor and lens interchangeability, but every digital camera I've ever owned is basically "mirrorless." I love (LOVE) the fact that what I am seeing in my viewfinder is exactly what I will get. If it looks dark and I want it lighter I can just adjust the EV up, or whatever. I imagine that some DSLR purists might say I'm cheating, but I don't care because now as ever my whole thrust is getting the picture, who cares how. I love knowing that I've got it before I even upload it to the computer. I think the state of the art is such that mirrorless are now an actual "threat" to DSLRs, especially now that there are high-end full-frame mirrorless that can go head-to-head with pro-grade DSLRs. I believe mirrorless will not be long in displacing DSLRs the way digital displaced film in less than 20 years.
Yes ,I use an Oly EM1 v2, with both the histogram and blinkies enabled most of the time, as well as focus peaking for manual adjustment (a godsend at this point in my photography life). I know about how much room there really is between the blinkies and real clipping so I'm not as easily fooled by them. And yes, knowing what you've got before you get it is the biggest blessing of a good EVF.

Interestingly, during this period where I'm having cataract surgeries and recoveries, I'm using the back screen more, with touch focus+shoot enabled.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:56 am

Chuck, Seeing your cool (cold?) photo moved me to take this one (manual) of a flower (name?) in a get-well bouquet sent to Maureen and me. I have used the brush tool to darken the area at the bottom, so you may spot some vestiges of that. Cropped and proessed first in Lightroom and then in PS, Camera Raw Filter, Auto, and then brushed. Matt
Attachments
photoMentoris-191.jpg
photoMentoris-191.jpg (224.47 KiB) Viewed 359 times
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:42 am

This is really fun! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:06 pm

minniev wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:35 pm
Yes ,I use an Oly EM1 v2, with both the histogram and blinkies enabled most of the time, as well as focus peaking for manual adjustment (a godsend at this point in my photography life). I know about how much room there really is between the blinkies and real clipping so I'm not as easily fooled by them. And yes, knowing what you've got before you get it is the biggest blessing of a good EVF.

Interestingly, during this period where I'm having cataract surgeries and recoveries, I'm using the back screen more, with touch focus+shoot enabled.
It's terrific the tools we have today that enable us to do things we couldn't have 20 years ago, or even 10. Of course we weren't our age 20 years ago, but imagine the folks who were older then, losing eyesight and maybe losing the ability to photograph at all. I am almost daily boggled by advances in tech that were once mostly pipe dreams. Glad I lived to see it get this far, but wondering what gobsmacking new astonishment is already in the pipeline. :look:

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:09 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:56 am
Chuck, Seeing your cool (cold?) photo moved me to take this one (manual) of a flower (name?) in a get-well bouquet sent to Maureen and me. I have used the brush tool to darken the area at the bottom, so you may spot some vestiges of that. Cropped and proessed first in Lightroom and then in PS, Camera Raw Filter, Auto, and then brushed. Matt
I am almost certain that is a Chrysanthemum (but I always hedge my bet 'cuz I ain't no xpert). That's a gorgeous picture, so sharp, well finished, and I love that you cropped it square because that's what I'd have done. :thumbup:

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:56 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:09 pm
Matt Quinn wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:56 am
I am almost certain that is a Chrysanthemum (but I always hedge my bet 'cuz I ain't no xpert). That's a gorgeous picture, so sharp, well finished, and I love that you cropped it square because that's what I'd have done. :thumbup:
Thank you, Chuck. It is a mum, and a mini to be precise, the bride says. I transformed it into a b&w in my Project 52. Happy Saturday. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin