The only person you should try to be better than is who you were yesterday. – unknown

Flowers & Plants CritiqueClover and one Resident

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Clover and one Resident

Post by minniev » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:40 pm

Well , it has to go somewhere. I was taking pictures of this little stand of red clover and found this pin-head size bug on it, couldn't tell anything about him till I got him home on-screen. He isn't very cute. I think he may have just one eye. But the clover was pretty. I always have trouble rendering its color properly. All suggestions welcome.
Attachments
clover (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:34 am

I can only suggest playing with the luminance sliders in acr and see if you get it a little closer to what you want.....then maybe just a touch less vibrance..all depends on your vision.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:06 am

color is weird (not your color - just make a generalization that color - particularly on a monitor is weird). The longer you look at it, the more saturation you want to add, and then then you end up with something harsh. The more I do this, the more I am starting to think about getting rid of (extra) color by desaturation as a final step. For instance in your image, I feel the greens are too saturated (but I could be all wet)..

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:44 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:34 am
I can only suggest playing with the luminance sliders in acr and see if you get it a little closer to what you want.....then maybe just a touch less vibrance..all depends on your vision.
I fiddled with luminance, saturation, the color channels in LR, then switched to Topaz Clarity and fiddled with the same in there. I could never get myself settled so finally just stopped. Then once posted, it looks different on the site! Will try vibrancy again!

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:49 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:06 am
color is weird (not your color - just make a generalization that color - particularly on a monitor is weird). The longer you look at it, the more saturation you want to add, and then then you end up with something harsh. The more I do this, the more I am starting to think about getting rid of (extra) color by desaturation as a final step. For instance in your image, I feel the greens are too saturated (but I could be all wet)..
You’re right. I neglected the greens while agonizing over the reds. I actually desaturated the reds a good bit, but did little or nothing to the greens.

Here’s another issue: I installed the new version of LR and all my presets ran amok. My import preset completely disappeared. I painstakingly recreated it (thankfully I had the parameters in a word doc). But to me everything looks a little different now. And my presets are still acting crazy, LR will choose its own preset without me touching anything on the left side of the interface, and I have to click the image in the filmstrip section to get rid of whatever preset LR has randomly chosen. I wish I had waited to upgrade like I usually do.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:36 pm

Well I just plain like it. I have no way of knowing if the color is "right" or not. Certainly it's bright but I would not criticize that. I like the one-eyed bug and my eye goes straight to him thanks to the composition and bokeh.

I have upgraded my Lightroom but have not so far noticed any difficulties such as described, but I read someplace that a quick fix for glitchy Lightroom is to reset all preferences back to factory defaults. There is a keyboard shortcut: hold Shift-Option (Alt in Windows) and restart Lightroom while holding them down; a dialog will appear. Click “Reset Preferences” and it installs a factory fresh set of preferences and should correct most problems. I have done this occasionally. You do have to go back and reset personal preferences that you can't work without but it does seem to clear the sinuses. :|
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:06 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:36 pm
Well I just plain like it. I have no way of knowing if the color is "right" or not. Certainly it's bright but I would not criticize that. I like the one-eyed bug and my eye goes straight to him thanks to the composition and bokeh.

I have upgraded my Lightroom but have not so far noticed any difficulties such as described, but I read someplace that a quick fix for glitchy Lightroom is to reset all preferences back to factory defaults. There is a keyboard shortcut: hold Shift-Option (Alt in Windows) and restart Lightroom while holding them down; a dialog will appear. Click “Reset Preferences” and it installs a factory fresh set of preferences and should correct most problems. I have done this occasionally. You do have to go back and reset personal preferences that you can't work without but it does seem to clear the sinuses. :|
Thanks for the tip. I may do that very thing today. The random choices of presets are seldom what I want the image to have.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:33 pm

minniev wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:06 pm
Thanks for the tip. I may do that very thing today. The random choices of presets are seldom what I want the image to have.
I rarely use presets. Early on Anthony Morganti was selling some of his half price so I bought them ($20). I hardly ever used them and eventually during some upgrade or other they got lost and I never bothered to track them down. I never use the proprietary LR presets except very occasionally to look for a starting point with a difficult image. I am certain that they have their valuable uses; I just don't myself find them useful. I have a few homemade presets that I do use frequently (which is why I made them), but as with any preset I feel totally comfortable overriding. I suspect I don't care for most presets, even as a point of departure, because they never seem to give me whatever I had in mind to start. For me there is generally no one-size-fits-all except when I've shot a bunch under the same conditions when I can set up the first one in the sequence and then synch all of them. Occasionally I even use auto-synch for that. (?)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:51 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:33 pm
minniev wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:06 pm
I rarely use presets. Early on Anthony Morganti was selling some of his half price so I bought them ($20). I hardly ever used them and eventually during some upgrade or other they got lost and I never bothered to track them down. I never use the proprietary LR presets except very occasionally to look for a starting point with a difficult image. I am certain that they have their valuable uses; I just don't myself find them useful. I have a few homemade presets that I do use frequently (which is why I made them), but as with any preset I feel totally comfortable overriding. I suspect I don't care for most presets, even as a point of departure, because they never seem to give me whatever I had in mind to start. For me there is generally no one-size-fits-all except when I've shot a bunch under the same conditions when I can set up the first one in the sequence and then synch all of them. Occasionally I even use auto-synch for that. (?)
I need to prune my presets. Like you, I only use them as starting points. I pick them up as freebies, usually from someone offering to sell me something that I don't buy. I may like a few but I never get around to going back and deleting the others. I'm more likely to go do stuff in PS with NIK or some other plugin if I want to get all creative on something.

An exception would be the monochrome presets (from Charles Hacking and from DCFoundry) that I use a lot as jump off points for black and white.

The only LR built in preset I ever use is the infrared one, which is a good starting point for simulated infrared if you don't have a camera or filter that does it for you.

I've determined that this odd behavior I"m having is connected in some way to the new LR trait of showing the preview of a preset on the main screen if you simply hover over that preset name in the left column. This is a trait I like and hate. Apparently LR thinks I am hovering over a preset when I'm not. I can contain this errant behavior by closing the left panel altogether.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:19 pm

minniev wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:51 pm
[...] I've determined that this odd behavior I"m having is connected in some way to the new LR trait of showing the preview of a preset on the main screen if you simply hover over that preset name in the left column. This is a trait I like and hate. Apparently LR thinks I am hovering over a preset when I'm not. I can contain this errant behavior by closing the left panel altogether.
I you haven't seen it, I recommend Morganti's latest, What’s New in Lightroom Classic CC Ver 7.3 - April 2018 Release. I saw it before I upgraded so I was not surprised at some of the newfangled bells and whistles. Like anything else we'll get used to it. :D