"Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be." —John Wooden

Flowers & Plants CritiqueIs It Spring Yet? Pleeeaaaassse?

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Is It Spring Yet? Pleeeaaaassse?

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:12 pm

Desperate for something, anything to shoot, and we had a day that hit the miraculous high temperature of 47 Fahrenheit, I went for a drive and visited some parks looking for anything. But there was really nothing. :(

So I shot what I could, then wondered if conversion to B&W might be mo' betta. I hesitate to show these because they are really dull and boring but, well, I wuz desperate. :wall:
Attachments
DSC01416.EM(lr)1.jpg
This is the original color version, a place called Salt Creek in Wilderness Park. Judging by the gouging of the bank it seems clear that this thing is a roaring cataract in a thunderstorm, but the rest of the time it's a green slimed skeeter breeder.
DSC01416.EM(lr)2.jpg
In the conversion I upped the contrast using curves in Lightroom, and darkened the vignette a little. You can see there is still thin ice on the stagnant pond. We need a thunderstorm!
DSC01418.EM(lr)6.jpg
I spied a tree with wonderfully gnarly roots. The color version was pretty meh (actually all the color versions looked like sepia'd monochrome anyway).
DSC01419.EM(lr)8.jpg
In 2 dimensions this shot fails to show how steep this horse trail is, but I'm showin' it anyways. I thought I might go down it (no horses around now) but I was alone and figured I might not be able to get back up.
DSC01420.EM(lr)10.jpg
I was attracted to the galls on this tree. This is the only one I cropped, to square.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:37 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:12 pm
Desperate for something, anything to shoot, and we had a day that hit the miraculous high temperature of 47 Fahrenheit, I went for a drive and visited some parks looking for anything. But there was really nothing. :(

So I shot what I could, then wondered if conversion to B&W might be mo' betta. I hesitate to show these because they are really dull and boring but, well, I wuz desperate. :wall:
Ah the sweet scent of desperation, the photographer in late winter. Your landscape looks kinda like mine right now. And 47 is about right for here this week, too. Still pretty much brown and bare. And without impressive landforms like mountains or valleys to add something, it's dead trees and vines. But there you have found a strange landform that looks a bit like a petrified whale or some other primordial creature that's been fossilized and left isolated by erosion. I'm reminded of movies and novels with those kinds of discoveries.

I like that sunken trail and the gnarly tree roots too. I'm prone to anthropomorphize trees so this one seems a mass of entertwined beings trying to extricate themselves from the ground.

(When I'm reduced to searching for something I sometimes think small/detail/abstract, but that's another face of desperation I think).
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by Psjunkie » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:18 pm

Good to hear you are feeling something Chuck, better than I right now, couldn't make myself carry the camera to the grocery store today but at least got as far as thinking about it....I like the conversions.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by St3v3M » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:31 am

Desperation leads to inspiration! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:13 pm

minniev wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:37 pm
Ah the sweet scent of desperation, the photographer in late winter. Your landscape looks kinda like mine right now. And 47 is about right for here this week, too. Still pretty much brown and bare. And without impressive landforms like mountains or valleys to add something, it's dead trees and vines. But there you have found a strange landform that looks a bit like a petrified whale or some other primordial creature that's been fossilized and left isolated by erosion. I'm reminded of movies and novels with those kinds of discoveries.

I like that sunken trail and the gnarly tree roots too. I'm prone to anthropomorphize trees so this one seems a mass of entertwined beings trying to extricate themselves from the ground.

(When I'm reduced to searching for something I sometimes think small/detail/abstract, but that's another face of desperation I think).
Gee, I did not see I had replies on this; there was no notification. But thanks for stopping by, Min! So 3 weeks later our weather has turned vicious again, with snow, ice, below freezing temps, class V wind-chills, overcast... Just ugly! Like the petrified whale. That thing is an eroded bank on a tight bend on Salt Creek, which when I visited was just random puddles full of algae but I'm certain that when (if) we get big thunderstorms will become a cataract that I may attempt to go photograph, just to have the comparison. :photo:
Psjunkie wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:18 pm
Good to hear you are feeling something Chuck, better than I right now, couldn't make myself carry the camera to the grocery store today but at least got as far as thinking about it....I like the conversions.
Thank you, Frank. I so rarely do conversions but I thought these might actually work better in B&W than color. S'funny because I used to shoot reams of B&W because I could process and print it myself. Now I don't really even see in monochrome. :|
St3v3M wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:31 am
Desperation leads to inspiration! S-
Thanks, Steve. I don't think these are at all inspired but thanks! :thanks:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|