"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

Flowers & Plants Critique"Death in the Afternoon," another Oldie but Goody?

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

"Death in the Afternoon," another Oldie but Goody?

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:22 am

This one goes back a good ways, October 2009, on one of our walks in a favorite preserve called Pheasant Branch on the outskirts of Madison, Wisconsin. I'm not even sure what these are, except I suspect the remains of cone flowers. Backlit (what else?) in the late afternoon sun, supporting random lines of spider communication, and made with my pocketable Nikon P5000. It has long been one of my favorites, and since I wax nostalgic (been wax'n my nose hairs as well) :oops: I've just reworked this in Lightroom. I like the fact that it's nearly monochrome. In fact, I think it would work as a B&W, especially sepia to preserve the warmth. Got some surprising bokeh going there for a 1/1.8 sensor. Doing the math on the zoom I made it at, it was equivalent to around 100 mm so maybe that's why. I think it still holds up purdy good...?
Attachments
DSCN4190.EMlr.jpg
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Duck » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:02 am

Talk about a pretty bokeh...

I feel it's a touch under exposure on the subject, but otherwise a "purdy pitcher," as you would say. :-)
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:18 am

I like where you're going with this, but think it's a little too bright too. Not much, but enough.

In Lightroom, Contrast +25, Blacks -6. It's subtle but really brings out the pod! Keep them coming! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:22 pm

The lighting and bokeh are yummy. I'm glad to see three plants touching the edges of the frame - for balance so there's no "oops, if only you'd taken a tiny step the other way" thought. A great feeling of energy and high spirits - perfect for our winter blahs, Chuck. Thank you!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:44 pm

Very nice image, and a good reminder of what is available in the fall and winter when our landscapes are a dull brown - these exquisite shapes and forms resting quietly and waiting for the coming of spring, seeds tucked inside. I love the delicacy of the plant, whatever it may be, and especially the threads of spider web, another reminder of what's waiting. The bleakness of winter has many gifts for us. Thanks for sharing.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:38 pm

Duck wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:02 am
Talk about a pretty bokeh...

I feel it's a touch under exposure on the subject, but otherwise a "purdy pitcher," as you would say. :-)
Thank you, Duck! I was surprised to see that bokeh. At the time I made it I thought bokeh was the thing the bride carried. I did not think a tiny-sensor camera could even produce it, but I think now that larger sensors and longer real focal lengths just make it easier to produce on demand. In this case I suspect it was a lucky combination of light and focal length. When I "reprinted" this I actually "printed down" the main subject on the principle that if the overall shot was light then the subject should be darker to stand out...? (?)
St3v3M wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:18 am
I like where you're going with this, but think it's a little too bright too. Not much, but enough.

In Lightroom, Contrast +25, Blacks -6. It's subtle but really brings out the pod! S-
Thanks, Steve. The next time I get in my lightroom I shall try it! Duck thinks the pod's too dark! :D
LindaShorey wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:22 pm
The lighting and bokeh are yummy. I'm glad to see three plants touching the edges of the frame - for balance so there's no "oops, if only you'd taken a tiny step the other way" thought. A great feeling of energy and high spirits - perfect for our winter blahs, Chuck. Thank you!
Thank you for looking, Linda! I often say I have no talent, and I really don't. I don't consider much when I am shooting. I did not consider what was touching the edges of the frame. I think I shoot mostly on instinct. "Gee, that's pretty!" Click! I think the true artists are thinking about it. This may be a subject for a new post. (Y)
minniev wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:44 pm
Very nice image, and a good reminder of what is available in the fall and winter when our landscapes are a dull brown - these exquisite shapes and forms resting quietly and waiting for the coming of spring, seeds tucked inside. I love the delicacy of the plant, whatever it may be, and especially the threads of spider web, another reminder of what's waiting. The bleakness of winter has many gifts for us. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you for looking, Min! I just remarked to Linda above that I mostly shoot on instinct. When we were on that walk, or any walk right to this day, I see something, raise the camera, and shoot. Often my companion is slowly drawing away so I can't stop and explore. That is not a bad thing, just the way t'is. I haven't done any formal photo walks with folks but inevitably if you are going to stay with the group you can't linger long over a subject. There tends I think to be a lot of grab-and-go. The more I ponder this the more I think I want to make a post on the subject unless it's already been covered. :|
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:42 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:38 pm
Thanks, Steve. The next time I get in my lightroom I shall try it! Duck thinks the pod's too dark! :D
I was just thinking, try it if you want, but as subtle as it is it could be my monitor is too bright. It's your story! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"