"Photograph things you care about, not what you think others want to see. There is no substitution for passion." —Sarah Rice

Flowers & Plants CritiqueLeaves X 3 ways

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Leaves X 3 ways

Post by St3v3M » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:26 am

Charles Haacker wrote:... Lately (when possible) what I've been doing is trying to at least really examine the scene before shooting, looking for the distracting element so I can frame it out or something, but I am still reluctant to change the scene as found. ...

We should be friends! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:29 am

Duck wrote:...
Only you, as the artist, can ever answer that question. But don't be surprised if that answer changes over time.

Wise words! S-

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:39 am

What a visual treat and a testament that you can find beauty wherever you look. It's an interesting discussion too.

The colors of the first are beautifully balanced and true to your word you've left the scene as it was. Interestingly I notice the little branch across the leaf. I might have thought to remove it, but what's amazing is that I like it for it so thank goodness you left it. The second is so beautiful and a personal favorite idea of mine, but I wonder if you've thought to crop in a little more. I'll leave that to your eye. The third is my favorite of course and reminds me of a renaissance painting. Have you thought to add a canvas texture to it giving it just that little extra? These are all so beautiful and set an inspiration for us all! Thank you for adding these! S-

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:26 pm

St3v3M wrote:What a visual treat and a testament that you can find beauty wherever you look. It's an interesting discussion too.

The colors of the first are beautifully balanced and true to your word you've left the scene as it was. Interestingly I notice the little branch across the leaf. I might have thought to remove it, but what's amazing is that I like it for it so thank goodness you left it. The second is so beautiful and a personal favorite idea of mine, but I wonder if you've thought to crop in a little more. I'll leave that to your eye. The third is my favorite of course and reminds me of a renaissance painting. Have you thought to add a canvas texture to it giving it just that little extra? These are all so beautiful and set an inspiration for us all! Thank you for adding these! S-

I thank you for the kind words and your ideas. The funny little stick or weed over the leaf in the first was what I wanted to show, a story inside a story so to speak, so I wanted it there. In the second, a crop will probably help, I think there is too much of the grass and shadow. The third does have a texture, at a very low opacity, and I may try boosting the texture a little to see what it does. Appreciate! My outdoor shots are never very artistic unless art can be made of messy stuff, but I do it that way for my own reasons, whether misguided or not.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:11 pm

minniev wrote:I thank you for the kind words and your ideas. The funny little stick or weed over the leaf in the first was what I wanted to show, a story inside a story so to speak, so I wanted it there. In the second, a crop will probably help, I think there is too much of the grass and shadow. The third does have a texture, at a very low opacity, and I may try boosting the texture a little to see what it does. Appreciate! My outdoor shots are never very artistic unless art can be made of messy stuff, but I do it that way for my own reasons, whether misguided or not.

I think it would be fun to gather a pile of leaves, sticks, and rocks and see what you can make with them. You could be anywhere and make something nice! S-