Page 2 of 2

Re: Fiery Fall Foliage

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:37 pm
by minniev
Fierce colors, what we all love about fall foliage! Red and green with that blue sky gives such a great constrasty color palette, complementary colors with a bonus!Simple but pleasing compositions.

I do prefer the lighter greens, but without losing the blue of the sky. I definitely understand the challenge of that in any software and brought back hundreds of similarly challenged shots from my week in Canada. Like you I am more competent in LR but gradually adding skills in PS as I can master them (some come easier than others). We will arrive, but at our own pace, which may be a tad slower than when we were younger.

Adjustment brush is a good tool for such as this whether in LR or ACR in PS. Every time Adobe sends me a survey asking me what else I want in LR I say "HSL in the targeted adjustment panel". In similar situations I can sometimes do a bit of mitigation by lightening the blacks, rasinng shadows, raising contrast and saturation, and applying noise removal in the mask I've created with the brush or radial.

Re: Fiery Fall Foliage

Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:05 am
by Charles Haacker
minniev wrote:Fierce colors, what we all love about fall foliage! Red and green with that blue sky gives such a great constrasty color palette, complementary colors with a bonus!Simple but pleasing compositions.

I do prefer the lighter greens, but without losing the blue of the sky. I definitely understand the challenge of that in any software and brought back hundreds of similarly challenged shots from my week in Canada. Like you I am more competent in LR but gradually adding skills in PS as I can master them (some come easier than others). We will arrive, but at our own pace, which may be a tad slower than when we were younger.

Adjustment brush is a good tool for such as this whether in LR or ACR in PS. Every time Adobe sends me a survey asking me what else I want in LR I say "HSL in the targeted adjustment panel". In similar situations I can sometimes do a bit of mitigation by lightening the blacks, rasinng shadows, raising contrast and saturation, and applying noise removal in the mask I've created with the brush or radial.

Fierce! I like that! I wish I could now recall what I did as a workaround, but Lightroom has just been updated and there are some new tools in the targeted panels (but I may have been using one already there, I dud-doh). Anyway, I had the entire frame masked with the graduated filter by clicking in a corner and dragging out of the frame. Then I went into color and got an eye dropper that let me click around several areas of green leaves which targeted mostly the leaves (there was some bleed but very little). From there I started dragging around in the "rainbow panel" while watching what it was doing to the leaves until I saw something that worked but with a lighter color. That may be gobbledygook. I'm not on my editing computer and can't pull it up to try to recall what I did and I didn't make notes. :oops:

Re: Fiery Fall Foliage

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:52 am
by St3v3M
My favorite is the first but maybe not for why you'd expect. The reworks are great but I'm drawn to the first over the others because it seems to be the only one where I can sorta make out the leaves in the background. The second and third are close, but with all that color I really want to see more detail.

I know I'm late to the party, but I hope this helps! S-

Re: Fiery Fall Foliage

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:30 pm
by Charles Haacker
St3v3M wrote:My favorite is the first but maybe not for why you'd expect. The reworks are great but I'm drawn to the first over the others because it seems to be the only one where I can sorta make out the leaves in the background. The second and third are close, but with all that color I really want to see more detail.

I know I'm late to the party, but I hope this helps! S-

Thanks, Steve. I liked the first one very much as well, but every exposure was made at f/4 with the focus on the foreground. I could have stopped down but didn't. I could have refocused on the far trees (but didn't). I could have done both or figured out the hyperfocal... I seem to recall when I stepped out the door onto the stoop that I had actually previsualized what I wanted, which was to frame the bright leaves in the dark green foreground, so I never changed the settings. Looking back I should have! But I do get very lazy. I should have given myself more choices. :oops: :|

Re: Fiery Fall Foliage

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:33 pm
by St3v3M
Charles Haacker wrote:Thanks, Steve. I liked the first one very much as well, but every exposure was made at f/4 with the focus on the foreground. I could have stopped down but didn't. I could have refocused on the far trees (but didn't). I could have done both or figured out the hyperfocal... I seem to recall when I stepped out the door onto the stoop that I had actually previsualized what I wanted, which was to frame the bright leaves in the dark green foreground, so I never changed the settings. Looking back I should have! But I do get very lazy. I should have given myself more choices. :oops: :|

What you did was not wrong, it's what you did at the time, and whose to say I'm right other than you? Maybe I'm not. We all live and learn! S-