"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." — Thomas Alva Edison

Flowers & Plants CritiqueWater lilies?

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Water lilies?

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:22 pm

I am not sure what these plants are, but I liked the scene. Critique welcome.
Waterlillies after rain (1 of 1).jpg
Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:30 pm

I like this closer view of the stream more than the first one, except this one has no face hidden away.The smaller area makes for a better composition, and clearer use of the stream as an organizing element. I'm still not convinced about color vs monochrome, but if monochrome is your mission, I think this works best. As for that those are, they don't look like the lilies I have here, but they do look like the leaves of another water plant we have in plenty.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:22 am

minniev wrote:I like this closer view of the stream more than the first one, except this one has no face hidden away.The smaller area makes for a better composition, and clearer use of the stream as an organizing element. I'm still not convinced about color vs monochrome, but if monochrome is your mission, I think this works best. As for that those are, they don't look like the lilies I have here, but they do look like the leaves of another water plant we have in plenty.

I will return tomorrow with my Nikon for color and for Monet, with apologies. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:48 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
minniev wrote:I like this closer view of the stream more than the first one, except this one has no face hidden away.The smaller area makes for a better composition, and clearer use of the stream as an organizing element. I'm still not convinced about color vs monochrome, but if monochrome is your mission, I think this works best. As for that those are, they don't look like the lilies I have here, but they do look like the leaves of another water plant we have in plenty.

I will return tomorrow with my Nikon for color and for Monet, with apologies. Matt

Minnie, I brought my Sony RX100 this morning. Here's Monet's bridge, juiced in Viveza and CEP. Enjoy your Sunday. Grandson arrives soon. So, no more for time for photos. Matt
Monet's bridge (1 of 1).jpg
Matt Quinn

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:12 pm

Ah! I believe what you have here is pickerel weed! Pickerel Weed, Pontederia cordata, is a perennial emergent aquatic native to the eastern Americas from Canada to Argentina. It likes full sun and quiet water, and so grows along lake, pond and marsh edges. It grows about four feet high, with the bottom two feet underwater. Blooms June through fall.

I really do like the color version very, very much. The color made it so simple to look up what it was (the purple cluster flowers are a big clue but you can't see the color in B&W). For me the color is much more attractive for the simple reason that the subject is colorful. I've done so little B&W for so long (I actually quit doing it more than 30 years ago), and I have been so captivated by what I can now do in color that I used to do in B&W because it was easier, such as mixed light sources, indoor work in low light and such. Now, if I had a dedicated B&W camera like your Leica I would absolutely turn it on everything I saw, to try to relearn how to "see" in grayscale, but I also think some subjects very generally work better in color. It depends! :| The only conversions I have done lately were of a century old steam engine on static display. I like the color fine but because of the subject matter it seemed to work well as a conversion in a sepia tone with a slight light vignette. That made it look period. But I probably too often just never think of it, but when you are shooting in B&W you don't have the color distracting you. Good on ya.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Matt Quinn » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:32 pm

Thank you, Charles, for the positive comment and for the horological info. I went back the next day and bought along stick so I could remove the weeds and leaves clustered around the stems. I haven't had the time to process those photo yet.
When I return to color, as for this photo, I feel I am abandoning a mission to which I have made a commitment. Emotions are weird, aren't they? So I'll stick with my Leica for a while longer, take a few tutorials, fiddle with PS and Joel T's website and tutorials and see where I end up. I will continue to post what might be worth the look-see. Matt
Matt Quinn

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:33 am

Matt Quinn wrote:I am not sure what these plants are, but I liked the scene. Critique welcome. Waterlillies after rain (1 of 1).jpg Matt

I think you have images within the image and would like to see this cropped closer. There's so much to see here! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:34 am

Matt Quinn wrote:Minnie, I brought my Sony RX100 this morning. Here's Monet's bridge, juiced in Viveza and CEP. Enjoy your Sunday. Grandson arrives soon. So, no more for time for photos. MattMonet's bridge (1 of 1).jpg

I'd like to see this with a little less saturation in the greens unless it really did look like this, then God Bless You I'm Moving There! S-

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:35 am

Charles Haacker wrote:Ah! I believe what you have here is pickerel weed! Pickerel Weed, Pontederia cordata, is a perennial emergent aquatic native to the eastern Americas from Canada to Argentina. It likes full sun and quiet water, and so grows along lake, pond and marsh edges. It grows about four feet high, with the bottom two feet underwater. Blooms June through fall.

Great catch on the plant's name! S-

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:41 am

Steve, Yes, I overcaffed the greens. Got to learn moderation. Thanks. Matt
Matt Quinn