Flowers & Plants CritiqueWater Lily

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Water Lily

Post by minniev » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:40 pm

Trying to work from an impossible angle.

I need a kayak but am too busy to deal with that whim right now, may have to wait for next spring.

All critique/edits appreciated.

lily (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:15 pm

I like this shot very, very much. Critique - maybe, maybe, more stem and portrait. Maybe, maybe more texture (very light) in background to give it a foggy look.

My Whims... build a pygmy kayak - they are SO beautiful. Move to the shores of the great lakes - truly unlikely to happen, so I classify it as more of a whim to be avoided than a dream to be pursued. Sorry for rambling, but the word "whim" deserves discussion also - I tend to have an impulsive nature and am very familiar with whims!

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:01 pm

It's a wonderful flower portrait that I thought was B&W until I saw that there is faint color in the stem. I love the crisp light and strong detail and texture. Like Piet, I find myself wondering if it isn't just a hair too stark, if there shouldn't be a hint of background (but maybe there isn't any). I'm thinking all that unrelieved black almost makes the picture a trifle threatening (yep, that's the word I wanted). Now if that's what you intended, swell! Otherwise maybe a little opening up if there's anything back there, or maybe consider a tighter or square crop so the black doesn't seem to want to dominate, literally overshadow the white. :|
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:02 am

PietFrancke wrote:I like this shot very, very much. Critique - maybe, maybe, more stem and portrait. Maybe, maybe more texture (very light) in background to give it a foggy look.

My Whims... build a pygmy kayak - they are SO beautiful. Move to the shores of the great lakes - truly unlikely to happen, so I classify it as more of a whim to be avoided than a dream to be pursued. Sorry for rambling, but the word "whim" deserves discussion also - I tend to have an impulsive nature and am very familiar with whims!

Thanks Piet. I have several with more and less stem, more and less room on top. There is a light paper texture layer but it isn't a foggy kinda thing.

My kayak whim may come to something next year, I'm brokering a deal with my sons to go in together on a pair that can be available to all three households. But I don't think I'll be relocating, in spite of my many dreams of moving to Canada, or Oregon, or Maine. Though I'd love to live somewhere else, I have too many kids and grandkids and houses and birds around here.

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:05 am

Charles Haacker wrote:It's a wonderful flower portrait that I thought was B&W until I saw that there is faint color in the stem. I love the crisp light and strong detail and texture. Like Piet, I find myself wondering if it isn't just a hair too stark, if there shouldn't be a hint of background (but maybe there isn't any). I'm thinking all that unrelieved black almost makes the picture a trifle threatening (yep, that's the word I wanted). Now if that's what you intended, swell! Otherwise maybe a little opening up if there's anything back there, or maybe consider a tighter or square crop so the black doesn't seem to want to dominate, literally overshadow the white. :|

Thanks Chuck, for the detailed feedback and the ideas! There is a little background, mostly muddy water, thus the conversion. I actually layered a black and white image over the original at about 95% opacity to let just a hint of color come through. And of course I'll try a version like you are describing, that's the fun of digital, to see what all can be done.

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:54 pm

Lovely Minnie. Great exposure and wonderful detail. I also enjoy the presentation.
Today is the Day, a New Day.

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:19 pm

Clicking on the image itself reveals your white outer edge to the jagged border and black on the rest of the screen - a more complimentary background than the white within the pages here. In that context I find the image to be breathtakingly beautiful!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

rmalarz
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Post by rmalarz » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:44 pm

Lovely work, Minnie. Dreamy presentation, but not lacking detail, of which there is an abundant amount.
--Bob
minniev wrote:Trying to work from an impossible angle.

I need a kayak but am too busy to deal with that whim right now, may have to wait for next spring.

All critique/edits appreciated.

lily (1 of 1).jpg
There is no CTRL-Z in the wet.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:35 pm

Look out, you'll be giving Ernst a run for his money with his Calla Lilly images. :-D

Gorgeous everything.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:43 am

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:Lovely Minnie. Great exposure and wonderful detail. I also enjoy the presentation.

Thank you so much Ernst.