"Photograph things you care about, not what you think others want to see. There is no substitution for passion." —Sarah Rice

Flowers & Plants CritiqueCanna

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Canna

Post by minniev » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:55 pm

Three looks at the canna lily bed that has inhabited my old house for 100 years. All comments and suggestions and edits welcome.
Attachments
cana (1 of 1).jpg
cana (1 of 1)-3.jpg
cana (1 of 1)-2.jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:03 am

minniev wrote:Three looks at the canna lily bed that has inhabited my old house for 100 years. All comments and suggestions and edits welcome.

I'm really in love with the first! Is that desaturated green or did I make that up looking at it? I love that I can't tell. Seriously beautiful! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:57 pm

St3v3M wrote:
minniev wrote:Three looks at the canna lily bed that has inhabited my old house for 100 years. All comments and suggestions and edits welcome.

I'm really in love with the first! Is that desaturated green or did I make that up looking at it? I love that I can't tell. Seriously beautiful! S-

Thank you. That first one was the only one I really liked, so I'm glad to have some affirmation. It is monochrome but I did a bit of toning and don't even remember exactly what I did (a common problem for me).

This stuff is way too much fun.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:14 pm

minniev wrote:Thank you. That first one was the only one I really liked, so I'm glad to have some affirmation. It is monochrome but I did a bit of toning and don't even remember exactly what I did (a common problem for me).

This stuff is way too much fun.

Love it! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:55 pm

Minnie, I prefer the third: I like the curling lines on the lower leaf on the left, the very dark something or other in the center, the swirly section just below the something or other. Lots of motion, lots to keep looking at, lots of returns within the frame. I'll have to start experimenting; this has inspired me. Thanks. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:11 am

I consider that they are a triptych. I don't have a favorite. They are all very good, each in its own way. I am very drawn to the second one because of its "smoky" bokeh, and the fact that it's a "rule breaker" by having a dark subject against a light background that (theoretically) draws the eye, except it doesn't. I think you should consider printing and hanging all three.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:53 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:

Minnie, I prefer the third: I like the curling lines on the lower leaf on the left, the very dark something or other in the center, the swirly section just below the something or other. Lots of motion, lots to keep looking at, lots of returns within the frame. I'll have to start experimenting; this has inspired me. Thanks. Matt

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. The dark something is a bud, and I had trouble getting it sharp enough so let it hide in darkness for better or worse. The fun of it was the backlighting coming through the leaves, which made it easy to find patterns.

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:55 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:I consider that they are a triptych. I don't have a favorite. They are all very good, each in its own way. I am very drawn to the second one because of its "smoky" bokeh, and the fact that it's a "rule breaker" by having a dark subject against a light background that (theoretically) draws the eye, except it doesn't. I think you should consider printing and hanging all three.

Thanks Chuck. I didn't have much intent for them but they turned out to be more fun to fool with than I expected, and one day, when the house is done, they may hang in there. There are a lot of walls in that old house. I really enjoyed your explanation of what you like about the second one.