"The most difficult thing is the decision to act. The rest is merely tenacity." —Amelia Earhart

Critic's CornerCat-tail Millet b/w

Nature's beauty cannot be expressed more perfectly than in its flora.
- Flowers and plants in any state, from natural to arranged, outdoor or indoor.
Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Cat-tail Millet b/w

Postby Didereaux » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:27 pm

There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Re: Cat-tail Millet b/w

Postby Onslow » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:42 pm

An interesting subject. I see a number of jpeg artifacts though in the image. Maybe crunched too much for the subject? I see this especially with B+W images where the smooth tones end up with artifacts much more easily than in the colour.
I do like it though.. :)

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Didereaux » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:46 pm

Onslow wrote:An interesting subject. I see a number of jpeg artifacts though in the image. Maybe crunched too much for the subject? I see this especially with B+W images where the smooth tones end up with artifacts much more easily than in the colour.

yes, good observation. this is very much compressed as a fill the frame shot it was humongous. I am noticing that LR6 does not do as good a job making b/ws & jpegs as PS does. However the Canon DPP does a nice job...when I remember to use it! :D

appreciate the comment.
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Postby Onslow » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:25 pm

Didereaux wrote:
Onslow wrote:An interesting subject. I see a number of jpeg artifacts though in the image. Maybe crunched too much for the subject? I see this especially with B+W images where the smooth tones end up with artifacts much more easily than in the colour.

yes, good observation. this is very much compressed as a fill the frame shot it was humongous. I am noticing that LR6 does not do as good a job making b/ws & jpegs as PS does. However the Canon DPP does a nice job...when I remember to use it! :D

appreciate the comment.

One thing I have in LR is different presets for B+W and Colour. Colour can support greater compression I think (depending on the subject of course) and find that a good way to get around that issue..

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Didereaux » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:54 pm

Onslow wrote:
Didereaux wrote:

appreciate the comment.

One thing I have in LR is different presets for B+W and Colour. Colour can support greater compression I think (depending on the subject of course) and find that a good way to get around that issue..

Thank you. I will look more into that.

Return to “Flowers & Plants”