"The most difficult thing is the decision to act. The rest is merely tenacity." —Amelia Earhart

Critic's CornerAt the Base of it All

Nature's beauty cannot be expressed more perfectly than in its flora.
- Flowers and plants in any state, from natural to arranged, outdoor or indoor.
Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

At the Base of it All

Postby Didereaux » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:18 pm

Or

...or neither?
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: At the Base of it All

Postby Duck » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:09 am

In and of itself, this image lacks focal impact. There is nothing unusual or interesting to keep my attention. The diagonal root itself is too common and has no distinguishing features to make me interested in the image. Sorry. (N)

However, it can be made more interesting by introducing some element of interest, turning the tree into background to a more engaging subject. A small wildflower nestled in the bend of the root, growing in what appears as nature's embrace would be one example. A small creature running up (or down) the angle of the root would be another.

This is probably one of those situations where being there has more impact than a photo. Gads, I got a lot of those... 8~
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Didereaux » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:17 am

Duck wrote:In and of itself, this image lacks focal impact. There is nothing unusual or interesting to keep my attention. The diagonal root itself is too common and has no distinguishing features to make me interested in the image. Sorry. (N)

However, it can be made more interesting by introducing some element of interest, turning the tree into background to a more engaging subject. A small wildflower nestled in the bend of the root, growing in what appears as nature's embrace would be one example. A small creature running up (or down) the angle of the root would be another.

This is probably one of those situations where being there has more impact than a photo. Gads, I got a lot of those... 8~

Nothing to disagree with there. Although when printed color on metallic finish at 16x20 it made a very nice wall filler. ;) personally I do like the BW version, and will probably do a print of it, perhaps a bit more contrast?

As an aside this was taken in the extreme far NE of Washington state, and so doubt will ever make it back up there to try a re-shoot. The place is called the 'Roosevelt Cedars', and includes Granite Falls (upper and lower). Extremely photogenic spot as the mountains are all metamorphic and strongly folded. It is very lightly visited, and rarely photographed because of its remoteness, although the roads are actually quite good, and little hiking is required.
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Duck » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:06 pm

Didereaux wrote:As an aside this was taken in the extreme far NE of Washington state, and so doubt will ever make it back up there to try a re-shoot. The place is called the 'Roosevelt Cedars', and includes Granite Falls (upper and lower). Extremely photogenic spot as the mountains are all metamorphic and strongly folded. It is very lightly visited, and rarely photographed because of its remoteness, although the roads are actually quite good, and little hiking is required.

See... now I have to chastise you a bit harsher... :spank:

You traveled many miles to a known scenic location with beautiful sights and vistas to photograph a tree root? That's tantamount to going to Paris and photographing a dandelion or visiting the outbacks of Australia to photograph a rose bush. (Apologies to our Australian members with nice rose bushes...)

As penance we need to see some interesting location shots from your trip. :pop:
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Didereaux » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:58 pm

Duck wrote:
Didereaux wrote:As an aside this was taken in the extreme far NE of Washington state, and so doubt will ever make it back up there to try a re-shoot. The place is called the 'Roosevelt Cedars', and includes Granite Falls (upper and lower). Extremely photogenic spot as the mountains are all metamorphic and strongly folded. It is very lightly visited, and rarely photographed because of its remoteness, although the roads are actually quite good, and little hiking is required.

See... now I have to chastise you a bit harsher... :spank:

You traveled many miles to a known scenic location with beautiful sights and vistas to photograph a tree root? That's tantamount to going to Paris and photographing a dandelion or visiting the outbacks of Australia to photograph a rose bush. (Apologies to our Australian members with nice rose bushes...)

As penance we need to see some interesting location shots from your trip. :pop:

HA! Gotcha!

That was merely a 'snapshot' taken from a picnic table. I have posted some of the ones that went there for. Will sort through and post a couple or so. Snapshot though that may be, and lack of subject it may have, the reason I take photos is for print...that shot ( just noticed it in post) as I said was printed and hangs in our home as a 'color' addition to go with the decor. On that note I know several commercial photographers who have no idea that there is a small, but decent market selling to interior designers. Photos used in those markets might be anything from model homes, to bank foyers. I am not a good enough photographer, and am way to old to be starting a new career, but if I were starting up, and needed some more business with less competition I would be wearing out some shoe leather figuratively speaking trying to find those interior designers.

Return to “Flowers & Plants”