"The most difficult thing is the decision to act. The rest is merely tenacity." —Amelia Earhart

Critic's CornerFungi fun guys

Nature's beauty cannot be expressed more perfectly than in its flora.
- Flowers and plants in any state, from natural to arranged, outdoor or indoor.
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Fungi fun guys <- WHY?

Postby Duck » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:31 pm

Didereaux wrote:Okay, then the 1st and 4th will sell and the 2d and 3rd won't. The 1st and 4th can be hung as a pair, and contain secondary stuff that accents the main subject. The 2d and 4th lack those qualities. All are, to me anyways, technically unchallengeable, the differences lay in the artistic content.

This is the kind of feedback I need. Part of my biggest problem is capturing something with emotion. Fortunately the location was gorgeous and offered a lot of inspiration. The mood was already there, I just had to capture it and bring it out. I'm going to be returning there this weekend with another photographer for some IR images. Hopefully I'll get a chance to get some more shots. I have a little project in mind to 'up the ante' in the art photography aspect of these. I wanted to get a feel for how people reacted before going further.

I can imagine working these to appeal to restaurants. I just wish I could find a local source for more variety of mushrooms.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby Didereaux » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:18 pm

Duck wrote:
Didereaux wrote:Okay, then the 1st and 4th will sell and the 2d and 3rd won't. The 1st and 4th can be hung as a pair, and contain secondary stuff that accents the main subject. The 2d and 4th lack those qualities. All are, to me anyways, technically unchallengeable, the differences lay in the artistic content.

This is the kind of feedback I need. Part of my biggest problem is capturing something with emotion. Fortunately the location was gorgeous and offered a lot of inspiration. The mood was already there, I just had to capture it and bring it out. I'm going to be returning there this weekend with another photographer for some IR images. Hopefully I'll get a chance to get some more shots. I have a little project in mind to 'up the ante' in the art photography aspect of these. I wanted to get a feel for how people reacted before going further.

I can imagine working these to appeal to restaurants. I just wish I could find a local source for more variety of mushrooms.

I am assuming you are in Connecticut ( from your profile), if so then leave the deciduous environment and go into the conifers. You will find things like Ear fungus, Conchs, and such up on the trees and on the fallen logs. Also pay close attention to areas of duff covered with fallen needles, by only slightly picking, or blowing off a thin covering you can often find quite good looking and unusual fungi. Don't forget that such things as new Fiddlehead ferns and such are not only beautiful, but very tasty. ;)

In fact to go along with the restaurant/food theme why not a series of edible wild plants?
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Re: Fungi fun guys

Postby TomCofer » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:39 pm

I liked #1, #3, and #5. think I'd like #4 a lot more if just a wee bit more was cropped from the right side.
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Re: Fungi fun guys ?????

Postby Didereaux » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:50 pm

Don['t know what happened but I missed looked or what. But what I said earlier apples to #! #2 and #5.
:oops: :oops: :oops:
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:28 am

Didereaux wrote:I am assuming you are in Connecticut ( from your profile), if so then leave the deciduous environment and go into the conifers. You will find things like Ear fungus, Conchs, and such up on the trees and on the fallen logs. Also pay close attention to areas of duff covered with fallen needles, by only slightly picking, or blowing off a thin covering you can often find quite good looking and unusual fungi. Don't forget that such things as new Fiddlehead ferns and such are not only beautiful, but very tasty. ;)

In fact to go along with the restaurant/food theme why not a series of edible wild plants?

Interesting observation. I can tell you know your stuff. You described the conditions I found these in to a tee. A few of these images I had to clean off, as you mentioned, in order to get a nice photo. I'll have to pay closer attention to see if I can find other varieties. I'll also have to bring my 100mm macro. All I had yesterday was my 70-200mm. I have a bellows extension but I don't know if that will add anything to the images.

As for ferns... I didn't see any but I have another location that might have some nice fern growth (and it's a lot closer to home). I'll have to check and see if there are any mushrooms there too.

On a side note; a few years back I thought about picking up a set of waist high waders to be able to shoot from the water side inland. Any thoughts on that idea?

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Didereaux » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:45 am

Duck wrote:
Didereaux wrote:I am assuming you are in Connecticut ( from your profile), if so then leave the deciduous environment and go into the conifers. You will find things like Ear fungus, Conchs, and such up on the trees and on the fallen logs. Also pay close attention to areas of duff covered with fallen needles, by only slightly picking, or blowing off a thin covering you can often find quite good looking and unusual fungi. Don't forget that such things as new Fiddlehead ferns and such are not only beautiful, but very tasty. ;)

Interesting observation. I can tell you know your stuff. You described the conditions I found these in to a tee. A few of these images I had to clean off, as you mentioned, in order to get a nice photo. I'll have to pay closer attention to see if I can find other varieties. I'll also have to bring my 100mm macro. All I had yesterday was my 70-200mm. I have a bellows extension but I don't know if that will add anything to the images.

As for ferns... I didn't see any but I have another location that might have some nice fern growth (and it's a lot closer to home). I'll have to check and see if there are any mushrooms there too.

On a side note; a few years back I thought about picking up a set of waist high waders to be able to shoot from the water side inland. Any thoughts on that idea?

Re; waterside shots and waders...I think that is a great idea! I am sure I have seen some, but for the life of me I can't recall one other than from canoes, or other floating things. That is really a great idea. Now you are on the hook for that one. :lol: :lol:

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:21 pm

Didereaux wrote:Re; waterside shots and waders...I think that is a great idea! I am sure I have seen some, but for the life of me I can't recall one other than from canoes, or other floating things. That is really a great idea. Now you are on the hook for that one. :lol: :lol:

Eh, you know what it's like... you want something because it would be cool to have but, when you really think about it, you realize you can probably do without it. Until you find yourself in a situation where it would be nice to have that item you talked yourself out of. That's me with waders. The killer thing is they really aren't that expensive either.

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Postby Ceropegia » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:50 pm

I vote for #1 and 2, but like them all. Mushrooms are very ephemeral and only at their peak for about a day or so. Go soon after a rain, when they seem to pop up overnight. As for waders, a word of caution, don't step in a hole. If water starts pouring in, they will try to suck you under. Been there, done that, a little scary, and needed help getting myself upright. Slogging back to shore with waders full of water was an experience in itself. Also, if the bottom is mucky, easy to get stuck. My advice, if the water isn't too cold, and especially if the day is hot, just hop in without them - although a good pair of wading shoes might be in order to protect against sharp objects.
Martha
In the Appalachian foothills of Northeast Alabama

http://www.ipernity.com/home/picture_taker

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:46 pm

Didereaux wrote:...Now you are on the hook for that one. :lol: :lol:

I took a drive to Dick's Sporting Goods during a lull in work. Asked about waders and a kid said, "good luck. There aren't very many left on the shelves."
Sure enough there were four total, none of them my size. I did find one pair I can tolerate, specially if I wear a pair of surf shoes inside them. I open the box and they looked used. Dirty soles and a small rock lodged in the treads. I called the kid over and asked if there was any discount on open box items. He said, "not usually." I pointed out the soles of this thing and you can see his face go flush. He called his manager, explained the issue and gave me a huge discount. I got a $60 set of booted waders for $25 (no returns). SOLD!

I don't plan on getting a lot of use so I wasn't looking for anything expensive, but who knows. If I find myself getting more and more into the water then I'll consider a better pair. For now, $25 is unbelievably great.

Ceropegia wrote:I vote for #1 and 2, but like them all. Mushrooms are very ephemeral and only at their peak for about a day or so. Go soon after a rain, when they seem to pop up overnight. As for waders, a word of caution, don't step in a hole. If water starts pouring in, they will try to suck you under. Been there, done that, a little scary, and needed help getting myself upright. Slogging back to shore with waders full of water was an experience in itself. Also, if the bottom is mucky, easy to get stuck. My advice, if the water isn't too cold, and especially if the day is hot, just hop in without them - although a good pair of wading shoes might be in order to protect against sharp objects.

Thanks for the warning about water issue with waders. That makes sense. Hopefully I won't run into any issues but if I do, I hope someone is there to capture the moment so we can all laugh about it. :D

As for going in sans-waders... I hate the cold so having that bit of protection is right up my alley. Even in warm weather, here in Connecticut, streams and ponds are still rather cold for me. Maybe if I were younger... (egads, who thought I'd ever be uttering those words!) :doh:

Return to “Flowers & Plants”