Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

Flowers & Plants CritiqueAn environmental portrait...

Images of plants and flowers; trees, bushes, leaves, fungi, lichen, fruits & vegetables
uuglypher
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

An environmental portrait...

Post by uuglypher »

... of a Salsify seed head. This fascinating relative of the dandelion has a seed head 4” to 5” in diameter.
I haven’t been able to think of a good size reference to include in such an image that would not be be a jarringly unnatural distraction - unless I could find one with a neighboring dandelion.
C&C sought.
Dave
5B14A5CF-CF32-43E2-A1F3-15019F74EF23.jpeg

Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Psjunkie »

I like this one very much...Purely personal preference here Dave....and I've no idea about scale either, but the two stalks behind are stealing the show from the star of the image.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev »

uuglypher wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:52 pm
... of a Salsify seed head. This fascinating relative of the dandelion has a seed head 4” to 5” in diameter.
I haven’t been able to think of a good size reference to include in such an image that would not be be a jarringly unnatural distraction - unless I could find one with a neighboring dandelion.
C&C sought.
Dave5B14A5CF-CF32-43E2-A1F3-15019F74EF23.jpeg
I'm with Frank on this one Dave. It's a beautiful specimen, sharply caught and nicely rendered, but would be better without the seedhead or with the whole seedhead instead of half. The fact that it's half there and half not makes me keep wanting to look at it instead of the real subject.

Nice sky background for this one.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

uuglypher
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by uuglypher »

Frank and Min,
Well...O.K. Just be that way! Just go ahead and call attention to those damned stalks that I shoulda noticed before I squeezed the release - but didn’t! }:>(

And I must commend you for the positive, constructive spirit with which you each present your critiques. I think there is no better way to encourage submission of images for critique than to call attention to positive aspects of an image as well as to areas of technical and compositional concern.

Thanks to you both for your thoughtful comments.
Dave