Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
"He who knows most knows how little he knows." -Thomas Jefferson

Flowers & Plants CritiqueDead Weeds in Winter

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Dead Weeds in Winter

Post by minniev » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:01 pm

Yeah, I'll try to take a picture of almost anything. All comments appreciated, including about whether I need to crop/de-center.
Attachments
dead plant (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:38 pm

I am liking the composition and the way the lighting on the weed fits so nicely with the background. One quibble.. the plant itself has a slight plastic/green cast to it that to me isn't working with the background. I don't know if it is a color thing or what if anything can be done. It might be where the bright area of the background is (if the background lightness were lower for example it might improve). Regardless, this is Awesome work. If not wall worthy, pretty damn close to it.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:53 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:38 pm
I am liking the composition and the way the lighting on the weed fits so nicely with the background. One quibble.. the plant itself has a slight plastic/green cast to it that to me isn't working with the background. I don't know if it is a color thing or what if anything can be done. It might be where the bright area of the background is (if the background lightness were lower for example it might improve). Regardless, this is Awesome work. If not wall worthy, pretty damn close to it.
Thanks! I'm attaching the original so maybe you can suggest a strategy. It is something in the cane family which is shiny and it still had some green in it. Maybe a background that picked up the greens rather than fought with it?
Attachments
dead (1 of 1).jpg

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:44 pm

a quick and frustrating stab at using similar colors on the background... No luck for me at all... I vastly prefer your earlier warmer treatment.
min3.jpg

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:56 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:44 pm
a quick and frustrating stab at using similar colors on the background... No luck for me at all... I vastly prefer your earlier warmer treatment.

min3.jpg
I'm wondering about a green texture in the same range as this one (olive-ish) blended in slightly?

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:19 pm

the warmish tone you gave the plant before was kind of nice and I think I hurt the structure/details of the plant in my version in that it seems washed out - maybe it is the purples in the original that aren't doing the job. Also, I am liking the bright spot to be where you have it - it seems to wash the plant with color/light that way. And for sure, in your cut, the plant is not at all washed out like mine turned out.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:06 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:19 pm
the warmish tone you gave the plant before was kind of nice and I think I hurt the structure/details of the plant in my version in that it seems washed out - maybe it is the purples in the original that aren't doing the job. Also, I am liking the bright spot to be where you have it - it seems to wash the plant with color/light that way. And for sure, in your cut, the plant is not at all washed out like mine turned out.
I think your version is pretty cool but a different image. The plant is deader than ever, more like hay in winter. But it still retains a little of the shine that palm type plants have.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:53 pm

I think it's good as is, another wonderful piece minniev...course Dave has me wondering how color mixes in my brain after not seeing pink in your version of "just a flower"

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:06 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:53 pm
I think it's good as is, another wonderful piece minniev...course Dave has me wondering how color mixes in my brain after not seeing pink in your version of "just a flower"
I don't always spot the milder tones of pink, or green, either. I have to rely on software to find it, or ya'll.

Glad you like my dead weeds. It gets sorta difficult this time of year to find anything to take pictures of.