Flowers & Plants CritiqueA close-up bit of a pussywillow tree

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

A close-up bit of a pussywillow tree

Post by LindaShorey » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:33 pm

Spring is busting out all over, though they're predicting some snow for Sunday :|

Your impressions and suggestions would be appreciated. Texture added to background, sharpening tool used (hopefully sparingly) on the buds.
Attachments
1 P1050197 black edge 10 px.jpg
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:20 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:33 pm
Spring is busting out all over, though they're predicting some snow for Sunday :|

Your impressions and suggestions would be appreciated. Texture added to background, sharpening tool used (hopefully sparingly) on the buds.

Color tone is an attention getter Linda. The textured layer and depth of field is appealing. Like it very much.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:04 pm

I like this also - is very special. I like the limited palette and the way that the white sets it off. Beautiful details in all the right places.

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:42 am

LindaShorey wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:33 pm

An explosion of life, Linda. Perfectly done. Hope springs eternal when you show moments like this. Thanks. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Psjunkie » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:08 am

A well done image Linda...for me a bit warm and I'm not sure the negative space left is necessary......just a couple of thoughts

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:05 pm

Dave, Piet, Matt and Frank - thank you all so much for your time and comments.

Dave, I am digging that avatar!!

Frank, re saturation: I wished I hadn't posted this til after the sun moved around and wasn't shining quite so brightly in my living room :) Isn't the first time the bright light (and using a laptop to edit, oy) gave me "slightly" more color than I might have chosen otherwise. Re negative space: thanks for mentioning. I always find that an interesting discussion point.

With my big skies that people often want to trim, it's about a feeling of wide open spaces and how natural that look is where I live. With some close-ups, including these buds, it's more about not feeling claustrophobic - giving enough space so the edges of the frame aren't in my thoughts. But also perhaps the negative space emphasizes the small and delicate nature of the subject? A feeling, rather than a detailed study such as macro photography would be. Appreciate your making my brain work a little this morning!

EDIT...10 hours later, I decided to try Frank's suggestion :D (a bit off the top too). I confess I like it!
Attachments
crop p1050197_black_edge_10_px.jpg
crop p1050197_black_edge_10_px.jpg (28.02 KiB) Viewed 549 times
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:13 pm

Very nice image with great detail and rich color work, and I do like the crop, though I might not have cropped quite that far in on the left. In these textured images, there is always a battle about how much to keep. Textures work best on un-busy images with some negative space, but if we leave too much, then the texture starts to dominate the subject. I confess to having mixed feelings about my own work in this kind of image.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:37 pm

minniev wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:13 pm
Very nice image with great detail and rich color work, and I do like the crop, though I might not have cropped quite that far in on the left. In these textured images, there is always a battle about how much to keep. Textures work best on un-busy images with some negative space, but if we leave too much, then the texture starts to dominate the subject. I confess to having mixed feelings about my own work in this kind of image.
Thank you Minnie! Great point about staying alert and not letting the texture dominate. Much appreciated.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:52 am

LindaShorey wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:05 pm
EDIT...10 hours later, I decided to try Frank's suggestion :D (a bit off the top too). I confess I like it!
I like this better too! Absolutely beautiful! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"