"The most difficult thing is the decision to act. The rest is merely tenacity." —Amelia Earhart

Critic's CornerDreams

Nature's beauty cannot be expressed more perfectly than in its flora.
- Flowers and plants in any state, from natural to arranged, outdoor or indoor.
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Dreams

Postby Duck » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:18 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:[...]Duck is a by-the-numbers guy. His methods are precise, mine not so much. :oops:

I never quite saw myself as such. I picture myself a "salt to taste" kinda guy. I guess it's hard to pass that through in a written tutorial sometimes. :D

Personally, I am also a very lazy photographer. I don't like complicated effects, processes and techniques. Specially if there are easier ways to getting the same results. I do about 90% of my editing in Lightroom and will export to PS only when LR fails me. Although I am finding that as I evolve that percentage is shifting towards the PS side.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby St3v3M » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:00 am

PietFrancke wrote:Steve, I really like the water, waves and ripples (to me being the subject), and the flower being a pretty flower adorning the lady of the lake if you will. Duck, that tutorial describing how you think and workflow is awesome. I read it, now I need to read it more carefully perhaps two or three times. Don't ever lose your Teacher Mode!

Thank you so much! It's kind of funny how I took the shot, but I like it too and will look for more like it! Thank you again! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:03 am

Duck wrote:I am glad you found it helpful. I have a tendency to fry people's brains sometimes. :D

The "Turn, look" technique is another good one. I do use it a lot but more for relieving eye strain and getting some distance from the imagery in order to reset the brain. That reset often reveals things we either missed or got so accustomed looking at it no longer registers as a problem. Great point.

I also like to flip the image upside-down. Flip it, step away, look again, and you'll see how it removes your presets about the image.

And please feel free to Teach. That's what we're here for! Thank you again! S-

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:12 am

Charles Haacker wrote:... That picker thingy, by the way, so far as I know selects a very small range or maybe even a single pixel. If you watch the HSL display as you mouse over the image with the picker, you will see a thin gray hilite moving over the colors to tell you what it is "seeing." ...

That's how I learned it too so I moved it around a bit and was curious to see it pick one color. The stem was green though so that made it easy to change the water.

I'm really enjoying learning more here and all the wonderful feedback. We can be so much more when we challenge each other! Thank you again! S-

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:14 am

LindaShorey wrote:The title set me up to expect something fanciful and I wasn't disappointed. After reading all comments - and having a few "wow" moments over Duck's awesome input, I realized my first response to the original subject and composition was "wow" too :D Engaging, unique, holding my attention and interest - the tweaks to color and such just make it better!

This could be one of yours so it makes your compliment that much better. Thank you so much. I'm so glad we're all here! S-

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:16 am

Duck wrote:
Charles Haacker wrote:[...]Duck is a by-the-numbers guy. His methods are precise, mine not so much. :oops:

I never quite saw myself as such. I picture myself a "salt to taste" kinda guy. I guess it's hard to pass that through in a written tutorial sometimes. :D

Personally, I am also a very lazy photographer. I don't like complicated effects, processes and techniques. Specially if there are easier ways to getting the same results. I do about 90% of my editing in Lightroom and will export to PS only when LR fails me. Although I am finding that as I evolve that percentage is shifting towards the PS side.

We grow as we find our way along this path. Enjoy the journey! S-

Return to “Flowers & Plants”