"Black and white are the colors of photography. To me they symbolize the alternatives of hope and despair to which mankind is forever subjected." —Robert Frank

Critic's CornerLast Of Season

Nature's beauty cannot be expressed more perfectly than in its flora.
- Flowers and plants in any state, from natural to arranged, outdoor or indoor.
minniev
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Last Of Season

Postby minniev » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:29 pm

I'm a little intimidated posting any flower pictures coming right behind Steve's masterpiece, but these are in a different category, called "Spent" - weeds that have flowered and run their course, but still have an appeal, whether I do them justice or not. Any thoughts or edits welcome. I'm working on a more 'artistic' version of one but it isn't ready for prime time.
Attachments
eos (41 of 1).jpg
eos (41 of 1)-2.jpg
eos (41 of 1)-3.jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Alumnus
Mentoris Alumnus

Re: Last Of Season

Postby PietFrancke » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:07 pm

I find them appealing, the first is my favorite, though (for me) the blue throws it off a little.

minniev
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius

Postby minniev » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:36 am

PietFrancke wrote:I find them appealing, the first is my favorite, though (for me) the blue throws it off a little.

Thanks, I wasn't sure about those purple flowers either, but they were everywhere, snuggled in between the Susans. i left them be, but will think more about it.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Charles Haacker » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:12 am

PietFrancke wrote:I find them appealing, the first is my favorite, though (for me) the blue throws it off a little.

Funny. I like the blue. To me it's like adding a little paprika to the stew (yes, paprika is red). I think it might be rather flat without it since the background is so bokeh-ed (is that a word?). I like the others fine for having a little more discernible detail in foreground and background, but the blue helps set off that single flower. If it weren't there I'd think it wanted more vibrance, but to me it works perfectly as is.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

minniev
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius

Postby minniev » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:11 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:

Funny. I like the blue. To me it's like adding a little paprika to the stew (yes, paprika is red). I think it might be rather flat without it since the background is so bokeh-ed (is that a word?). I like the others fine for having a little more discernible detail in foreground and background, but the blue helps set off that single flower. If it weren't there I'd think it wanted more vibrance, but to me it works perfectly as is.

Thanks for your thoughts Chuck. I tend not to remove or change something unless it really bothers me, and the purple flowers didn't bother me to that degree, though I know they were there. Likewise, I try to find flowers with flaws rather than the perfect ones. Just my weirdness.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:57 am

minniev wrote:I'm a little intimidated posting any flower pictures coming right behind Steve's masterpiece, but these are in a different category, called "Spent" - weeds that have flowered and run their course, but still have an appeal, whether I do them justice or not. Any thoughts or edits welcome. I'm working on a more 'artistic' version of one but it isn't ready for prime time.

I'm honored, but you know that was luck! No matter what you think though everyone creates their own masterpieces when they create from the heart!

I really like the first but I waver back and forth on the background and have offered two options. The first is traditional and the second breaks the rules!

I hope you like them! S-
Attachments
eos %2841 of 1%29v1.jpg
eos %2841 of 1%29v1.jpg (62.82 KiB) Viewed 74 times
eos %2841 of 1%29v2.jpg
eos %2841 of 1%29v2.jpg (55.96 KiB) Viewed 74 times
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “Flowers & Plants”