Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

Flowers & Plants ShowcaseCeropegia's Ceropegias

Images of plants and flowers; trees, bushes, leaves, fungi, lichen, fruits & vegetables
Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Ceropegia's Ceropegias

Post by Ceropegia »

I collect succulent plants. My favorites are ceropegias. (In case you were wondering about my PM name, now you know.) Through the years I have had a number of different types, some of which eventually bit the dust, but usually not before I was able to get photos of their flowers.

They have very unique flowers which some people think are carnivorous. They are not. The flowers do, however, trap small insects; but only hold them about a day or two to ensure that the insects get covered with pollen and/or spread pollen they may have picked up in another flower. Then the flower droops to let the insect escape. Hopefully, after that, the insect will manage to trap itself in another flower and spread the pollen.

Most ceropegias are vining plants, some having vines that are as thick as a finger. You may be familiar with the most common type, the rosary plant, which forms "beads" in leaf axils along the vine. These root when they touch the ground enabling the plant to be rather easily propagated. More unusual types of ceropegias are more finicky and hard to come by.

The type of ceropegia I like the most forms a large round tuber at its base. Like a rosary plant, it also can form "beads" in leaf axils that may root to form new plants, although, in my experience not as easily. I had one for many years and had propagated several plants in this manner. Then two years ago, they all collapsed and died with in a few days of each other. I searched for over a year for another one. Finally, last spring, I managed to acquire five seeds. I planted a test one last summer which did not germinate. To my surprise about a week ago I noticed that it had finally germinated. It is still very fragile. I have my fingers crossed that it will make it. I will need to plant the rest of the seeds soon because they are only viable for about a year. Here is a flower from the old plant.

Ceropegia rendallii par Ceropegia, on ipernity

Another favorite, I also had for many years. It would periodically loose its roots, was difficult for me to re-root, and did not grow or flower well until a couple years ago when it grew and flowered like crazy. Then it eventurally lost its roots again. This time I was unable to successfully re-root it so it finally shriveled and died. Needless to say, I am on the lookout for another. This is its flower.

Ceropegia rupicola flower clusters par Ceropegia, on ipernity

Here are several more - some of which I still have and others which are now only photographic memories

Ceropedia radicans par Ceropegia, on ipernity

Ceropegia albisepta par Ceropegia, on ipernity

Ceropegia africana ssp barklii par Ceropegia, on ipernity

Ceropegia ampliata flower par Ceropegia, on ipernity

Ceropegia multiflora ssp tentaculata par Ceropegia, on ipernity

Ceorpegia Superba Flower par Ceropegia, on ipernity

Ceropegia stapiliformis flower - side view par Ceropegia, on ipernity

Ceropegia stapiliformis par Ceropegia, on ipernity

tsilva
Mentoris Alumnus
Mentoris Alumnus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by tsilva »

Nice shots Martha! (OK)

Um, shouldn't some of these be in the glamour section?? :lol:

Tony
Tony Silva - Photography Enthusiast

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by TomCofer »

Nicer shots and interesting story Martha!
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

WesternGuy
Mentoris Tribunus
Mentoris Tribunus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by WesternGuy »

Martha, interesting post. I was wondering about the source of your screen name. :?

Those are very interesting looking flowers/plants, but you have more patience than I would have to grow these. Looking forward to seeing more. :thumbup:

WesternGuy
You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn't waste either. - Galen Rowell

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/westernguy/
My new blog: http://photowestguy.wordpress.com/

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by Ceropegia »

tsilva wrote:Nice shots Martha! (OK)

Um, shouldn't some of these be in the glamour section?? :lol:

Tony

Thanks, Tony
Astute observation, some of the flowers do have a somewhat x-rated reputation.

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by Ceropegia »

TomCofer wrote:Nicer shots and interesting story Martha!

WesternGuy wrote:Martha, interesting post. I was wondering about the source of your screen name. :?

Those are very interesting looking flowers/plants, but you have more patience than I would have to grow these. Looking forward to seeing more. :thumbup: WesternGuy

Thanks, guys

pah43
Mentoris Alumnus
Mentoris Alumnus

Post by pah43 »

Lovely set of pictures of some very intriguing plants that i dont think Ive seen before - love them :)

Paul
Cheers,
Paul.

“Wherever there is light, one can photograph." :photo: